Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 17, 2009, 2:42 AM   #521

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingRare View Post
Hi everyone, I made a quick video of the macro lens in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nq0MhpaCxo
Hard to keep focus sometimes. Comment/rate
Nice clip, music really suitable too. Looks like the center of the picture is more in focus than the outer area, this is probably due to the add-on lens but I quite like it, it's a bit like a camera effect. Does this happen with your tele lens too? BTW, what did you use to convert 60fps to 24?

I also wanted to ask fellow-users some advice regarding a conversion. I have a TV show with Greek audio (mkv container @23.976fps), and I also have the same show on a DivX file (avi container @25fps) with English audio. Both clips contain AC3 audio, obviously at different sampling rates. I want to losslesly swap audio around between the two files. I can easily use mkvmerge to do it, I just can't find a decent app to losslessly convert the audio from 25fps to 23.976fps first (and vice versa), before muxing the audio/video streams. As far as I know it may be even possible to do so without re-encoding the audio, just by changing the sampling rate flag on the file header. Any ideas on any app that can do this?

Allen074, was your Zi8 untouched when you first got it? I mean, did it look used/unpacked in any way? It could be that another user had this camera, upgraded it to latest firmware, saw it was still faulty and then sent it back - and the vendor re-sold it to you. It happened to me before with optical drives from certain less-reputable vendors. Or it could be that the vendor you bought it from stocks a bad batch. In any case I wouldn't risk a replacement from them, I'd get a full refund and buy from somewhere else instead. There's obviously something wrong there and it's not worth it trying to flog a dead horse, might as well replace it while you still can.

Last edited by =Alex=; Dec 17, 2009 at 3:36 AM.
=Alex= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 7:44 AM   #522

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Alex= View Post
Nice clip, music really suitable too. Looks like the center of the picture is more in focus than the outer area, this is probably due to the add-on lens but I quite like it, it's a bit like a camera effect. Does this happen with your tele lens too? BTW, what did you use to convert 60fps to 24?

I also wanted to ask fellow-users some advice regarding a conversion. I have a TV show with Greek audio (mkv container @23.976fps), and I also have the same show on a DivX file (avi container @25fps) with English audio. Both clips contain AC3 audio, obviously at different sampling rates. I want to losslesly swap audio around between the two files. I can easily use mkvmerge to do it, I just can't find a decent app to losslessly convert the audio from 25fps to 23.976fps first (and vice versa), before muxing the audio/video streams. As far as I know it may be even possible to do so without re-encoding the audio, just by changing the sampling rate flag on the file header. Any ideas on any app that can do this?

Allen074, was your Zi8 untouched when you first got it? I mean, did it look used/unpacked in any way? It could be that another user had this camera, upgraded it to latest firmware, saw it was still faulty and then sent it back - and the vendor re-sold it to you. It happened to me before with optical drives from certain less-reputable vendors. Or it could be that the vendor you bought it from stocks a bad batch. In any case I wouldn't risk a replacement from them, I'd get a full refund and buy from somewhere else instead. There's obviously something wrong there and it's not worth it trying to flog a dead horse, might as well replace it while you still can.
Thanks Alex - I just received a RMA number from the company - it did not look opened when I received it. But looking at the photos that ya'all have posted and the videos, there clearly must be something wrong with this one. Tomorrow I am going to go over to B&H photo in NYC and see if they have one on display that I can take a couple photos with - I will bring my sd card with me - then I will have a real comparison point. I will update this post after the test.
allen074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 5:31 PM   #523

Quote:
Nice clip, music really suitable too. Looks like the center of the picture is more in focus than the outer area, this is probably due to the add-on lens but I quite like it, it's a bit like a camera effect. Does this happen with your tele lens too?
Thanks!
It's called depth of view. The shallower the depth of field, the blurrier the background will be. As you can see, the macro lens has a very shallow depth of field. More info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field

With the tele lens, the camera focuses just like without the lens.

Quote:
BTW, what did you use to convert 60fps to 24?
First, I used MP4Cam2AVI which formats the QuickTime H264 to standard H264 (does not recompress, therefore no quality loss) to get it into VirtualDub.
Then in virtualdub I changed the framerate, and chose Direct Stream Copy (no quality loss here either ) and saved the AVI. Then I edited it in Adobe Premiere. So basically everything is lossless up until compressing it for YouTube.

Quote:
I just can't find a decent app to losslessly convert the audio from 25fps to 23.976fps first (and vice versa), before muxing the audio/video streams.
Ah, the joys of lossless. I think virtualdub might be able to do it.

Last edited by NothingRare; Dec 17, 2009 at 5:36 PM.
NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 8:06 PM   #524

You're welcome Allen. I only have my Zi8 for a little while but I think it's great, as long as you turn stablilization off like fishy said.

Thanks for the tips NothingRare! Haven't used virtualdub for years, will give it another try. Had some probs with virtualdubmod and Matroska files in the past, so I never bothered to delve further...

Last edited by =Alex=; Dec 17, 2009 at 8:12 PM.
=Alex= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 2:54 PM   #525

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen074 View Post
Hi - new poster here... would love any advice all of you experts have. I bought the zi8 last week. It has the 1.06 firmware on it. Every still picture I have taken has been completely blurry - very like pixelated. Indoor or outdoor. The videos frankly arent really any better - not blurry but not clear. I had the zi6 (just sold it) and frankly it did MUCH better.

I spoke with kodak today for over 1 hr with their philippines office which was basically a waste - they wanted to redo the firmware saying that it had to be a mistake but no matter what they tried it didn't work.

Any ideas before I return the camera? I appreciate any help ya'all can provide.
Welcome Allen074..

reading the posts, have you tried filming a infinity, and going close up on a page to read the typing, to see if it becomes clear. If so, then this tells us that your issue may be a broken switch of the lens.

The chances of defective unit happens.

online auctions of Ebay 100% chances, Kodak slim. Amazon more likely, but anywhere it can happen of a defect.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 2:56 PM   #526

Quote:
hmm - that pic doesn't look so good...

I found these pics which look much crisper
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...photos-19.html

thanks
The still of the Kodak Are INTERPOLATED, and either 2 or 3 meg interpolated to 5 mb. We cannot complain, while this is a primary of a camcorder, not a hybrid still.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 3:01 PM   #527

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingRare View Post
Thanks!
It's called depth of view. The shallower the depth of field, the blurrier the background will be. As you can see, the macro lens has a very shallow depth of field. More info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field

With the tele lens, the camera focuses just like without the lens.

First, I used MP4Cam2AVI which formats the QuickTime H264 to standard H264 (does not recompress, therefore no quality loss) to get it into VirtualDub.
Then in virtualdub I changed the framerate, and chose Direct Stream Copy (no quality loss here either ) and saved the AVI. Then I edited it in Adobe Premiere. So basically everything is lossless up until compressing it for YouTube.

Ah, the joys of lossless. I think virtualdub might be able to do it.
The Lenses:
Wide Angle and Fisheye are totally different, the wide angle glass lens is set back deeper, while the fisheye is bubbled out more, of course fish needs roundness.

Fisheye needs more, of adjustment or correct position, while angle LESS
when placed on the lense.

taking off the Black ring well, one must be careful of the glass. it can break.

I would love to cut the sakar uv filter. and replace that glass I shown in my video LOL then I have a better cam LOL.

just my two cents, never a pro.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:01 PM   #528

What I have found out, and like to pass along to you.

Using a 8 gb card, each time I used the card, I got different folder, folders etc...

one time I got one folder, second time I got higher, and a lower number (2 folders), third time I got lower, and higher ( 2 folders)

Each folder never had a file that started with _0001, always in the middle, and went to the next higher number.

Just be careful when filming large quantity, that you take the time to save the folders in order, it sounds easy, but not the way Kodak does it LOL.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:09 PM   #529

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Just be careful when filming large quantity, that you take the time to save the folders in order, it sounds easy, but not the way Kodak does it LOL.
I also want to add that in Detailed View on windows, you can sort the files by Date Created

NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 3:12 AM   #530

Quote:
Hi - new poster here... would love any advice all of you experts have. I bought the zi8 last week. It has the 1.06 firmware on it. Every still picture I have taken has been completely blurry - very like pixelated. Indoor or outdoor. The videos frankly arent really any better - not blurry but not clear. I had the zi6 (just sold it) and frankly it did MUCH better.

I spoke with kodak today for over 1 hr with their philippines office which was basically a waste - they wanted to redo the firmware saying that it had to be a mistake but no matter what they tried it didn't work.

Any ideas before I return the camera? I appreciate any help ya'all can provide.
maybe you've already returned the cam but anyways here's 2 photos (photo mode) I just made with my Zi8 and they are unedited (the yellow plant is in macro mode and I used no addon lenses)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3588045/200_0381.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3588045/200_0383.JPG
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote