Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 19, 2009, 8:08 AM   #531

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingRare View Post
I also want to add that in Detailed View on windows, you can sort the files by Date Created

So you're saying when we film, and as we load to our pc / Mac, a folder is created, and the inside in details will oad onto the Area we assigned to?

And when it Downloads, it will load to any order that gets off the card fastest to pc, in any order?

We have to choose the rearrange and the date, file number etc, etc... will be in order.

What we do not like is why the Kodak Engineers choosen the way they start the file, and that is what the issue we're addressing.

1. the file saved on the cam will save correctly in order, for me it did most the time.

2 the file will save correctly the date in order, if you choose, and takes a extra steps.

Old Dec 19, 2009, 12:13 PM   #532

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
We have to choose the rearrange and the date, file number etc, etc... will be in order.
You can sort the videos by Date Created or Date Modified.
Why didn't Kodak make the filenames in order?
NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 1:57 PM   #533

If we let the Kodak techs know they may incorporate a fix for this filename issue in future firmware. Even better, maybe it'd be a good idea to make a list with all our major observations/issues regarding the Zi8 and forward it to Kodak. I don't mind pursuing this, as long as a list of issues is composed by more experienced users than myself; I'm a new Zi8 user and a novice in photography, so it's best if experienced users draft the list.

Before anyone says "they won't give a s**t, they won't care, etc", I ask this: What do we have to lose? I've done this in the past with optical drives: After doing some extensive testing I've contacted a well-known optical drive manufacturer and let them know of issues with their DVD/Blu-Ray burner firmwares. I passed along my suggestions to improve burning strategies, as well as test results, quality scan graphs, etc. Everyone said to me "they won't pay any attention" but they did, and as a result I now work for them part-time as a firmware tester. Some companies do pay attention, at the end of the day we've got nothing to lose. So, lets make a list of issues/observations on the Zi8, and I'll make sure that the Kodak firmware team receives it.

Last edited by =Alex=; Dec 19, 2009 at 3:13 PM.
=Alex= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 3:07 PM   #534

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Alex= View Post
If we let the Kodak techs know, they may incorporate a fix for this filename issue in future firmware. Even better, maybe it'd be a good idea to make a list with all our major observations/issues regarding the Zi8 and forward it to Kodak. I don't mind pursuing this, as long as a list is comprised by more experienced users than myself.

Before anyone says "they won't give a s**t, they won't care, etc", I ask this: What do we have to lose? I've done this in the past with optical drives: After doing some extensive testing I've contacted a well-known optical drive manufacturer and let them know of issues with their DVD/Blu-Ray burner firmwares. I passed along my suggestions to improve burning strategies, as well as test results, quality scan graphs, etc. Everyone said to me "they won't pay any attention" but they did, and as a result I now work for them part-time as a firmware tester. Some companies do pay attention, at the end of the day we've got nothing to lose. So, lets make a list of issues/observations on the Zi8, and I'll make sure that the Kodak firmware team receives it.
I hear ya.

Lets hope Kodak monitors and listens.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:20 AM   #535

Default Zi8 Freezing

Question for fishycomics and help needed.
Just bought my Zi8 in Australia. Had v1.03 originally and I upgraded to v1.06 no problem.
Jello effect with 1080p etc but learned I had to turn EIS off and I also turned face detection off. No problem with jello effect now.

After a week of using it it has decided to start freezing constantly.
Here is a video on youtube of what I mean.
Zi8 Camera Freezing

I'm really stuck as to what to do. This unit is obviously faulty but I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. Would love any feedback or suggestions on what I need to do.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. This thread has been overwhelmingly helpful on so many things. Brilliant review work by all. Thanks.
sunnygc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:44 AM   #536

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygc View Post
Question for fishycomics and help needed.
Just bought my Zi8 in Australia. Had v1.03 originally and I upgraded to v1.06 no problem.
Jello effect with 1080p etc but learned I had to turn EIS off and I also turned face detection off. No problem with jello effect now.

After a week of using it it has decided to start freezing constantly.
Here is a video on youtube of what I mean.
Zi8 Camera Freezing

I'm really stuck as to what to do. This unit is obviously faulty but I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. Would love any feedback or suggestions on what I need to do.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. This thread has been overwhelmingly helpful on so many things. Brilliant review work by all. Thanks.
Hi I'm not Fishy but maybe I can help :P

I've seen your vid on youtube.
What SDHC card you're using ? If its A-Data or a Class 2 (slowest rating) card it might be the card thats the problem and maybe it didn't freeze the 1st week because now the card's filesystem had developed 'gaps' (meaning you've deleted recordings and the new recordings fill these gaps before appending at the back of the last ever recording) . The latter can be solved by reformatting or defragment the filesys.

It can however also be a faulty cam. I am using a Sandisk Class 4 16 GB ultra II (15 MB/sec guarantee sign) card.
I've never had the freezing problems.

I say is yours A-Data because i've seen more trouble in this forum with that brand.

Hope I helped ya out a bit !
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 3:20 AM   #537

Hi Maicod
Thanks for the heads up. Will format card and go from there.
I have a Kingston 16GB SDHC Class 4 memory card. I do like your theory
and I'm confident it'll work.
Will report back shortly.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 3:36 AM   #538

Quote:
Hi Maicod
Thanks for the heads up. Will format card and go from there.
I have a Kingston 16GB SDHC Class 4 memory card. I do like your theory
and I'm confident it'll work.
Will report back shortly.
oh not A-data. I think Kingston is a better brand and with class 4 it should work. I've never had trouble with my sandisk with the cluttering of the file-sys but it can cause trouble so hope it helps but defragging or reformatting (you need to empty the card before that) too often is unhandy so then maybe try out a friends SDHC card from a different brand or try to get a new Zi8 item. What shop did you purchase the cam from ? I've heard of kodak delivering their Zi8 cams that don't work too good (after factory testing) to ebay and cheap webshops while shops like Amazon get the good ones but I'm skeptical about this story myself but you never know.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 4:15 AM   #539

All looking good. Formated card on both the PC (quick format) and
then using the Zi8. Seems to be working as per normal.
Rule of thumb seems to be 'Format regularly'.
I got it from Harvey Norman which is one of Australia's largest
retailers. I might touch base with the Kodak rep and just question
him about it.

Last edited by sunnygc; Dec 20, 2009 at 4:17 AM. Reason: Reply to post above.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 4:37 AM   #540

Quote:
All looking good. Formated card on both the PC (quick format) and
then using the Zi8. Seems to be working as per normal.
Rule of thumb seems to be 'Format regularly'.
I got it from Harvey Norman which is one of Australia's largest
retailers. I might touch base with the Kodak rep and just question
him about it.
Ok good to hear. Hope it doesn't occur too often ! Never heard of that store but if they are the biggest retailer for Australia then I guess its fine. I live in a land far far away :P (The Netherlands)

btw I think formatting with the Zi8 will be enough and the best since the Zi8 should know best how it needs the card to be formatted