Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 20, 2009, 7:18 AM   #541

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygc View Post
Question for fishycomics and help needed.
Just bought my Zi8 in Australia. Had v1.03 originally and I upgraded to v1.06 no problem.
Jello effect with 1080p etc but learned I had to turn EIS off and I also turned face detection off. No problem with jello effect now.

After a week of using it it has decided to start freezing constantly.
Here is a video on youtube of what I mean.
Zi8 Camera Freezing

I'm really stuck as to what to do. This unit is obviously faulty but I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. Would love any feedback or suggestions on what I need to do.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. This thread has been overwhelmingly helpful on so many things. Brilliant review work by all. Thanks.
Good Day SunnyGc...

Hope you're having a Warm Summer, and all is well in the Land of Down Under.

Maicodd beat me to the answer, to add to the Answer:

The cam is not Defective, the sdhc card seems to be correct.

I used a sdhc 8 gb class 2, filmed and at any given time if at the start, middle etc, the cam crashed! no warning, but a frozen video at any given time.

There are no reset buttons, like on the Samsung Hmx-U10, or DOD-F200hd, both those cams have one, I would have loved to see Kodak, place one onboard, Gps's and other devices have them.

We have to remove the battery for a good One, one thousand count, and then continue on filming.

Reformatting the card may or may not help, but best to clear off the video to a pc or mac first, then format like you did, first the pc two times, then the cam format a few times. and then carry on, always observing the video screen.

Your sdhc card taken 8 secs to turn ON for readiness, my 16 gb taken the same time, till reformatted. around 5 secs.

Question after reformatted how long does ittake to turn ON?

again cam is not defective, SD card will radomally crash. Keep this in the back of your head that that card will radomally crash from time to time.
hope my additional info was useful.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:07 AM   #542

dealextreme.com

wide angle, fisheye lenses found at the cellphone section

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14953 $11.13 to date

With the wide , fisheye Angle lenses, they are a 9.5mm / 13mm diameter. using a magnetic glued ring that does not obscure the lense at all, but with only the fisheye, you need a precise fit, the wide angle less.

I am no Prp, but I can try my best, rather be a pro, I rather show what I can do at the spur.

To think you can take perfect shots everytime, it will be a very difficult task.

troubles that may or may not come about with these magnetic ring connectors:

while I am observing, snapped just a few shots, used the lenses a few days. and cam works fine.

Today I thought Itake a few shots, just to post, nothing special yet.

1 the regular shot to the sun, that is to the right of the monitor, but not fully out.

2 wide angle you can see the center of the lens towards the upper middle

3 fisheye 170 degree does not have infinity focus, a limited range, best to shoot something near, than far. You again see the lens upper middle

Issues wit the magnetic ring:

as I tested out and used the lenses, I never noticed any issues, till today where after, thering was off and cam turned back on within a few secs to minutes the video screen showed purple/pinkish lines left to right small to medium size, once the video was set to record, tese lines went away. when snapping a still the lines were present.

Have other members come foward with this info, not that Iheard of, will this occure with other magnets, 50/50 ca nthis damage the cam. one did comment he or she had issues, but never heard if that person followed up?

So is it worth the investment to place this on the cam that cost a few dollars, many many tests samples to come, if I find any more info or trouble I'll post.

a video http://vimeo.com/8309922

1 standard

2 wide

3 fisheye

Last edited by fishycomics; Dec 21, 2009 at 7:17 AM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 2:30 PM   #543

wow, a wide-angle/fisheye lens that really does nothing to increase the FOV. I mean, is fairly obvious that the original FOV is the only thing that remains in focus, and that the wide angle or fish eye only increase the 'out-of-focus' area around it. I guess we know why the price is so low :P

Old Dec 20, 2009, 5:10 PM   #544

Default My first test videos with the Wide-Angle lens of DealExtreme

I received my Wide-Angle lens from DealExtreme and recorded some videos with and without the lens to compare them.

see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PSh_wM4DEk
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 6:21 PM   #545

Quote:
Originally Posted by subc View Post
wow, a wide-angle/fisheye lens that really does nothing to increase the FOV. I mean, is fairly obvious that the original FOV is the only thing that remains in focus, and that the wide angle or fish eye only increase the 'out-of-focus' area around it. I guess we know why the price is so low :P

the fisheye is not a real one it is a imitation, but I am no pro owning one.

I will say it is better when you are close up, or to a small room, rather being in a Infinity shot.

I made some videos, and I am trying to place together on a SLOW laptop LOL
we'll see soon.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 6:29 PM   #546

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicod View Post
I received my Wide-Angle lens from DealExtreme and recorded some videos with and without the lens to compare them.

see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PSh_wM4DEk
Just hte 0.67x looks good, be careful , after 30 plus on/off, I found hte less expensive glue washer to fail.

Painting with a sharpie only wears off to the magnet.

looking at the clips its all good

what I found out that the magnet will interfere at given times to the Cmos sensor, keep an eye on it, do not leave the magnet on overnight.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 7:42 PM   #547

Regarding Sunny's SD card issue: Some cheaper brands (or Sandisk fakes) may be sold as "class 2" or higher, but in reality their flash memory is probably cheaper than the paper they're packed in, (and considerably slower than a true Sandisk). I only ever bought genuine Sandisk so I can't vouch for any other brands. But I have three 16gig class 2 genuine Sandisk cards, and even when fragmented they all work great on my Zi8. Never had any freezes or slowdowns.

Regarding the issues of the Zi8: As far as I know, main existing issues are as follows:

Massive cropping of image when filming in 1080p.

Wobbling issue (AKA jello effect) when Image Stabilization ON and/or Face Detection ON. Not sure which modes it affects; 1080p only? If you've encountered this issue please give me some more details (e.g. With which resolution/feature ON or OF combination does this problem occur).

Inability to zoom when in macro mode.

Inability to control the recording level of plug-in mikes (not sure about that one, I think someone mentioned it, if anyone experienced it please confirm).

Filename order issue.

Please add to this and when we have a comprehensive list of issues/observations I will foward it to the Kodak techs.

Last edited by =Alex=; Dec 21, 2009 at 9:48 AM.
=Alex= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:33 PM   #548

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Alex= View Post
Wobbling issue (AKA jello effect) when Image Stabilization ON and/or Face Detection ON. Not sure which modes it affects; 1080p only?
I have noticed this in both of my DOD F200 units, which use the Ambarella chip. When I look frame by frame at even a tripod-stabilized 1080p video image, I see jello wobbles. Not good. Especially as I can't turn the stab off with the F200 firmware. Not that it really has all that much stabilizing present, but it looks to me like they are trying to do a little EIS. I suspect this is an Ambarella artifact.
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:51 PM   #549

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Just hte 0.67x looks good, be careful , after 30 plus on/off, I found hte less expensive glue washer to fail.

Painting with a sharpie only wears off to the magnet.

looking at the clips its all good

what I found out that the magnet will interfere at given times to the Cmos sensor, keep an eye on it, do not leave the magnet on overnight.
NOTE: anyone wanting to check on my vids and comment on it (if you think the lens is acceptable) are very welcome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PSh_wM4DEk

Hi Fishy,

I used the washer with the widest glued surface and I hope it doesn't come off

I don't care that the ring has metallic color so I don't paint it with a marker

yeah clips appear good IMHO. I don't see the blurryness that I see in the sides of the pics you posted but maybe thats because I don't have a similar subject to picture or film (its all SNOW here now so very white)

bad news if the magnet interferes with the electronics I hope thats not what I will notice because I'm seriously needing the wide-angle lens for indoor recordings etc. I don't let the lens attached anyways since it won't fit in my camera bag then (the lens will come off then)
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:51 AM   #550

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicod View Post
NOTE: anyone wanting to check on my vids and comment on it (if you think the lens is acceptable) are very welcome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PSh_wM4DEk

Hi Fishy,

I used the washer with the widest glued surface and I hope it doesn't come off

I don't care that the ring has metallic color so I don't paint it with a marker

yeah clips appear good IMHO. I don't see the blurryness that I see in the sides of the pics you posted but maybe thats because I don't have a similar subject to picture or film (its all SNOW here now so very white)

bad news if the magnet interferes with the electronics I hope thats not what I will notice because I'm seriously needing the wide-angle lens for indoor recordings etc. I don't let the lens attached anyways since it won't fit in my camera bag then (the lens will come off then)
I've discussed the matter about the magnet disrupting the video recording in a previous thread within this forum. I went through 3 Zi6 and I am not willing to test another camcorder to satisfy my curiosity. I just think that it's best to limit the use of these add on lenses until more users have reviewed the side effects of magnet fields and cmos sensors or maybe the magnetic field disrupting the memory card.
garman is offline   Reply With Quote