Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:33 AM   #551

I hear ya Garman, and there is a neat fix for that, I have the idea in my mind and will share when I place on to the paper and Zi8.

Maicodd, you say no blurriness,, remember I ordered a Fisheye as well, and that is what you do not have, unless like I said or am saying a precise fit is needed or else weget a blurred edge,

My Video is up, and when viewed you can see me reviewing, the left monitor side is blurred, then later the right.

http://vimeo.com/8309922

As for further Observation, yes we take the chances, of the forcefield being broken by the magnetic field, and we have to be those gunea Pigs, did kodak ever say in their manual, that plaqcing a magnet around hte lense will harm the cam, No, or did most of of just went directly to Plug in and play, and not read the fine print.

at every manual will tell about FCC....

page 19-25 will give the info you need of:

and clearly it states "The use of an accessory that is not recommended by Kodak may cause fire, electric shock, or injury. For approved accessories, go to www.kodak.com/go/accessories."

and clearly we did not follow their advice

ByKodak:
4 Appendix

Safety

CAUTION:

Do not disassemble this product; there are no user-serviceable parts inside. Refer servicing to qualified service personnel. KODAK AC Adapters and battery chargers are intended for indoor use only. The use of controls, adjustments, or procedures other than those specified herein may result in exposure to shock and/or electrical or mechanical hazards. If the LCD breaks, do not touch the glass or liquid. Contact Kodak customer support.
  • The use of an accessory that is not recommended by Kodak may cause fire, electric shock, or injury. For approved accessories, go to www.kodak.com/go/accessories.
  • Use only a USB-certified computer equipped with a current-limiting motherboard. Contact your computer manufacturer if you have questions.
  • If using this product in an airplane, observe all instructions of the airline.
  • When removing batteries, allow them to cool; they may be hot.
  • Follow all warnings and instructions supplied by the battery manufacturer.
  • Use only batteries approved for this product to avoid risk of explosion.
  • Keep batteries out of the reach of children.
  • Do not allow batteries to touch metal objects, including coins. Otherwise, a battery may short circuit, discharge energy, become hot, or leak.
  • Do not disassemble, install backward, or expose batteries to liquid, moisture, fire, or extreme temperature.
  • Remove the batteries when the product is stored. In the unlikely event that battery fluid leaks inside the product, contact Kodak customer support.
  • In the unlikely event that battery fluid leaks onto your skin, wash immediately with water and contact your local health provider. For additional health-related information, contact your local Kodak customer support.
  • Go to www.kodak.com/go/REACH for information about the presence of substances included on the candidate list according to article 59(1) of Regulation (EC) No. 1907/2006 (REACH).
  • Dispose of batteries according to local and national regulations. Go to www.kodak.com/go/kes.
  • For more information, go to www.kodak.com/go/batteries.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:35 AM   #552

http://vimeo.com/8309922

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8zL_R16ECU

at the spur of the Moment and a slow laptop, enjoy this short review.

Be careful if you decide to order and use a magnetic filed adaptor on any cam, thank you
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:35 AM   #553

Nice review Fishy, the macro lens looks pretty good. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more to get some better quality lenses though, could you please give me some details on which ring sizes the Zi8 can take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmar View Post
I have noticed this in both of my DOD F200 units, which use the Ambarella chip. When I look frame by frame at even a tripod-stabilized 1080p video image, I see jello wobbles. Not good. Especially as I can't turn the stab off with the F200 firmware. Not that it really has all that much stabilizing present, but it looks to me like they are trying to do a little EIS. I suspect this is an Ambarella artifact.
I've only observed this problem so far when filming in 1080p with EIS ON. Does it also happen when EIS if OFF and Face detection is ON? Anyone seen it happening @720p at all? If it's an Ambarella native limitation it may not be fixable with firmware. Unless they go for a workaround rather than an outright fix.

Last edited by =Alex=; Dec 21, 2009 at 11:02 AM.
=Alex= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:02 PM   #554

gthought I said 9.55mm inside diameter , 13 mm outside diameter, yeah post 562

Last edited by fishycomics; Dec 21, 2009 at 12:04 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:58 PM   #555

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wUDGt8KiU8

Here is a video continued, with macro. of the dealextremes wide angle lens, that seperates. guess one has to be closer than expected. we can use the ZOOM, then set to macro, but do not overzoom or you'll get the dreaded light adjustment

Light adjustment during zoom, add that to the list.

does a great job if asked, but iguess if i were at a place I really need to capture alose up of a small object, at least I have it, but most things today are behind ropes

those Hobbiests that do jewelry , coin models etc will love the feature.

On a vacation, just enjoy the moment, tne trying to film every single detail possable.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 9:43 PM   #556

I figured this would be the best place to post this - I've been following this thread for quite some time now. I was very happy with my Zi8 with the 1.03 firmware. Never had issues. I upgraded to the 1.06 firmware - which made the zoom nice and smooth - except I get a weird flicker 3/4 way through the zoom in process. I following instructions I found here - and downgraded back to the 1.03 FW - except - I still have the new software version there. Does anyone have a link to the older software version (it doesn't come with v.1.03 (I forget the software version #)). I still have weird quirks with the camera and am thinking this is controlled by the software.
One bug that's annoying - the beep that tells you when you start/stop recording, works only for maybe a video or two - not all the time.

Anyway - Any help is greatly apreciated to getting a great camera back to being great!

Last edited by cdgcc; Dec 21, 2009 at 10:01 PM.
cdgcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:19 PM   #557

the instructions are deep in th thread, the firmwares at te first page and near the end. so here they are once again see below

the flicker of zoom is normal to Kodaks eye.

fw 1.03 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LV71XD9X fixs high pitch sound
fw 1.05 http://www.mediafire.com/?tnjnen4gnnj fixs high pitch etc
fw 1.06 http://www.mediafire.com/?mzttzynitin fixs fw 1.05 errors, and vertical lines claimed by kodak
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:34 PM   #558

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgcc View Post
I figured this would be the best place to post this - I've been following this thread for quite some time now. I was very happy with my Zi8 with the 1.03 firmware. Never had issues. I upgraded to the 1.06 firmware - which made the zoom nice and smooth - except I get a weird flicker 3/4 way through the zoom in process. I following instructions I found here - and downgraded back to the 1.03 FW - except - I still have the new software version there. Does anyone have a link to the older software version (it doesn't come with v.1.03 (I forget the software version #)). I still have weird quirks with the camera and am thinking this is controlled by the software.
One bug that's annoying - the beep that tells you when you start/stop recording, works only for maybe a video or two - not all the time.

Anyway - Any help is greatly apreciated to getting a great camera back to being great!
I don't have the original IMG-file of the software that came with 1.03 but I HAVE the contents of the cd-rom driveletter of the zi8 of the old version of media impression that came with firmware 1.03 for you:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3588045/came...%20%281%29.zip

the version nr is : 2.0.24.562

btw when the cam doesn't make 'start-recording' sounds the battery-indicator shows a red symbol (the cam does this on purpose to preserve as much juice there is left for the recording task only)
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:58 PM   #559

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicod View Post
I don't have the original IMG-file of the software that came with 1.03 but I HAVE the contents of the cd-rom driveletter of the zi8 of the old version of media impression that came with firmware 1.03 for you:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3588045/came...%20%281%29.zip

the version nr is : 2.0.24.562

btw when the cam doesn't make 'start-recording' sounds the battery-indicator shows a red symbol (the cam does this on purpose to preserve as much juice there is left for the recording task only)
I've never noticed the baterry indicator going red at this time. The battery has even been fully charged when this has happened. I also only noticed it after the firmware update. I was looking for the IMG file - but Ill see what I can do with this.

Actually - I just noticed - and am now wondering, 562 was the software version that shows on the camera - but is that directly related to the software version of the arcsoft software?
cdgcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:05 PM   #560

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgcc View Post
I've never noticed the baterry indicator going red at this time. The battery has even been fully charged when this has happened. I also only noticed it after the firmware update. I was looking for the IMG file - but Ill see what I can do with this.

Actually - I just noticed - and am now wondering, 562 was the software version that shows on the camera - but is that directly related to the software version of the arcsoft software?
ofcourse you were but that doesn't mean you could be grateful for my help. after all this is the same software and it doesn't matter if you install it from the zip I gave you or from the cams insides. I don't think kodak ever released an img file of the 562 version that is in 1.03 cams since most cams i've seen never came with older versions than 1.03

yes 562 is the last part of the software version. 586 is the newer one.
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote