Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 24, 2009, 7:51 PM   #581

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
"Massive cropping of image when filming in 1080p."
Is this a firmware issue?
Yes it is. Kodak can implement resizing like in all other modes. The only reason not to is if the image processor isn't fast enough to downsize the sensor output to 1080p.

Quote:
"Inability to zoom when in macro mode."

See fishycomics answer.
That is a solution, but flipping the switch 4 times just to check your focus is too much.

Quote:
NothingRare: What's a "night mode"? The Zi8 takes great pictures at night - deep blacks and good colors for those things that are lit. You want infrared or something? see in the dark?
Drop the fps to 15, which enables the shutter speed to be 1/15 instead of 1/60 (in 720p60), making the lowlight capability of the camera 3-4 times better.
NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:03 PM   #582

You already have 30fps at 720p (why are you comparing to 60fps?). Just get very jerky and blurry videos at 15fps at 1/15th. How about 24fps, which at least conforms to a standard? But, lowering the frame rate is better than lowering the resolution in order to keep noise down, which is what is done now.

"Night mode" can mean many things.
markr041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:06 PM   #583

Quote:
"Massive cropping of image when filming in 1080p."

Is this a firmware issue?

"Wobbling issue (AKA jello effect) when Image Stabilization ON and/or Face Detection ON. Not sure which modes it affects; 1080p only? If you've encountered this issue please give me some more details (e.g. With which resolution/feature ON or OF combination does this problem occur)."

You should not complain about issues you have not experienced yourself, as it will lead to misinformation.

"Inability to zoom when in macro mode."

See fishycomics answer.

"Inability to control the recording level of plug-in mikes (not sure about that one, I think someone mentioned it, if anyone experienced it please confirm)."

You can control the recording level for external mics; says so in the manual and you can. What are you talking about? Again, you should complain about issues you have experienced not what you think you heard others say.

"Filename order issue."

Yes!

"Additionaly I'd like to see a menu item to deactivate/activate the AutoPowerOff feature. It's good to have this off when filming with the power adapter plugged in."

The device certainly does not turn itself off if you are "filming" no matter what the setting is. What are you asking for here and why?

"There should also be a button on the remote to turn the camera ON and OFF."

Obviously this is not a firmware issue - is firmware going to make a button?

If you are going to be effective in getting Kodak to respond, you want to be credible or at least clear.

NothingRare: What's a "night mode"? The Zi8 takes great pictures at night - deep blacks and good colors for those things that are lit. You want infrared or something? see in the dark?
1. NightMode or nightsot mode a way to modify the low lux, and increase the sutter speed, or open the shutter release, forcing one to use a tripod, and dealing with software to coose the better of te videos proformance.

The Zi8 has a Auto setting of ISO to 800 and that does a mighty fine job, if asked it does a better job ten nightsot mode, wishing Aiptek would learn from this.

2. On/Off for a remote, you do not want to know my answer, kids leave the room, just kidding. I find it not a good cam for blogging, as well a on/off, the cam has no other functions like a mp3 o r mp4- stop it does have a mp4 but who is goingto watch a movie, or movies when the battery only and only last how many minutes. so wy a remote on/off, no motion detection, no other function that ican think of when the range is nearly 10-20 feet lol so again off the chair and itte on/off bud.

3. to have a Auto, Off 1,3,5 minute, yes when te cam is in a standby state is great, but not to ave like the samsung hmx wile in a record after 1 minute the screen suts down, but stil lrecords, I like toave te option of setting it ON/Off and not fully Auto. and that we ave the option with the samsung. The Aiptek and most other cams we have the option again for a Auto off, 1,3 or 5 min on standby, the Sanyo the cam goes into a hybernate, and the AIptek pocket dv5300 as well. Does it conserve power mmm I think the on/off does I rather turn it off as soon as Iam finised filming , ten waiting, bet we forget.

4. yes the file number is a generated system. I cannot imagine it everrepeating, but ey what happ's if wesetto default the cam will it start back from square one. If it does then I cannot imagine ever the cam hitting "kod001_0001 a billion to one, I think I have a better chance winning the Alaska lottery. I would love to see a file count of _0001 I would love to see a lower folder being the correct number system, and not the igher, I love t osee One folder, than two. but guessing we will not.

5. Ext mic volume control. can always be controlled by a 7.00 radioshack part called a variable gain control. so why will we ever get a volume control during a Ext record. we sould get a saved volume or mic gain rater this if you ask me, again aftermarket purchase lol

6. Massive cropping or dept of field.
Welcome to the world of hi definition.

I wil comment it's best to crop a video ten show a raw cut one. I think most movies do just tat crop video.

Editing is fun lol.

I hear ya, and again and again one person collecting Info......

Wish you luck. try facebook Jeff Hayzletter LOL
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:17 PM   #584

Default What happened?

While we are all fantasizing about how Kodak can make the Zi8 into a prosumer camera via firmware updates or by dressing it up with accessories, all of the Zi8's have disappeared from stores. You cannot find a Zi8 anywhere, including on the Kodak web site, and all vendors are saying they have no idea when they will get new ones in.

This sell-out occurred well before Christmas, and occurred after some incredible price reductions ($149 plus free stuff). This seems very peculiar.

What is going on? Did Kodak forecast sales badly? Pulled because of a secret defect? or new model coming with "night mode" and super digital zoom in macro mode with that essential remote on-off button?

Last edited by markr041; Dec 24, 2009 at 8:30 PM.
markr041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:33 PM   #585

Quote:
What is going on? Did Kodak forecast sales badly? Pulled because of a secret defect? or new model coming with "night mode" and super digital zoom in macro mode with that essential remote on-off button?
New model in January 2010, maybe making room/demand?

Last edited by NothingRare; Dec 24, 2009 at 8:37 PM.
NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:21 AM   #586

I am travelling in Hong Kong at the moment, billions of cam but no Kodak hybrid. everyone in camera store was very impressed and asked to try out.
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:32 AM   #587

Mark, as I said before I'm a noob in photography. I was never going to submit anything to Kodak before I received input from more experienced users. When I wasn't sure about an issue I said so, and again waited for input from more seasoned Zi8 users. I was expecting an experienced user like you to be understanding of us poor noobs; instead, your input was expressed in quite a rude and slightly aggressive manner. That's the last thing I expected from you Mark...

The last remarks on my post regarding the remote were just observations on what I would have liked, to see maybe on the next model, not firmware-fixable issues. I already knew that... I take what you said on board, I just hope that you chill a bit.

Last edited by =Alex=; Dec 25, 2009 at 7:58 AM.
=Alex= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2009, 8:22 AM   #588

Alex. never take things at heart here.

One person as an opinion, good or bad, and must be heard, no matter who they are.

As we all know we are beginners-to- experts, and I am no pro, if I say something I never mean it to heart, people insult, name, etc, etc, in the one ear, and out the other... An Adult, not a kid, but a kid at heart.

So lets look at what the issues we are having:
  • hd1080p zoom @ 40% level grain, degrading, noise, with int/ext memory
  • hd720p60f zoom @ 40% level lowered light, with int/ext memory
  • hd720p30f zoom @ 40% level lowered light, with int/ext memory
  • WVGA60f zoom @ 40% level lowered light, with int/ext memory
  • Mic gain no saved setting int / ext mic input
  • Ext mic icon on screen missing
  • Face detect icon on screen missing
  • EIS icon on screen missing
  • hd1080p resolution field of depth or DOF incorrectly set up
  • hd720p60/30f field of depth or DOF incorrectly set up
  • WVGA60f field of depth or DOF incorrectly set up
  • Stabilization Wobble
  • Dcim/kodak file system container incorrectly numbered
These are just some of what Ican come up within the post answering, and more can be added that can be corrected or not with firmware.

I have other issues that of what I owen I think would have been a benifet to the cam
  • a Self timer 1, 3, 10 sec
  • a slide show, advancement to the next video/pic, and repeat
  • whitebalance
  • EV setting
  • Auto 1, 3, 5, min off
  • reset crash button
  • numaric battery life indicator.
  • wide angle switch and lens
  • flatter, or correct bottom for stand alone of cam
  • brightness control with additional level adjustment
again these are a spur of the moment list, and only my opinion, and two cents

If one is going to be so picky, for example:

the sound is low every single time i film. they can complain, complain, complain. Will it ever get addressed, others may, or may not agree, but in due time, a firmware comes out with ABSOLUTE NO INFO, we load up, and find that the new firmware fixed, the sound, lowered video, saturated video, etc, etc, when we only and only asked for a increase in sound,

Another company heard the complaints, and corrected the issue, and never offered to re-raise the sound, making the Aiptek A-D a all time favorite, now a collective peice of junk, they heard us, and moved foward, and on to te better cam called the GVS, and hte sound is by far a great improvement. If the company sells tisstill to te public, they still should continue the fixs.

I am pleased with the kodak, have a few issues, that are livable, but others are after their own issues, till a list at kodak, not here, are handed in they'll Monitor the site without warning a fix one day may be heard.

As for the Kodak Model selling out, the sale was back when it was offered foir a lot less then 149.99 and free stuff LOL

Its a holiday, and end of year this is now concidered a discontinued item

my two cents.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 8:33 AM   #589

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingRare View Post

Drop the fps to 15, which enables the shutter speed to be 1/15 instead of 1/60 (in 720p60), making the lowlight capability of the camera 3-4 times better.

Nothingrare, and mark.

Well Ho Ho o Nothingrare got his wish, he just never knew the power I have in waving a hand over the kodak Zi8, an saying the magic words "abra dabra cadabra"

now that I casted the spell, His [email protected] can film at night at a lower rate.

hey what is Fishy talking about

just like I said

Enjoy the lower rate of filming at night time.
oh and yes that spell went out to all the cams
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:12 AM   #590

Quite a big difference if you ask me, with about night and day.

As I am just that one person that brings this to the table, I hope it helps you out.

Using a 5 sec clip in a dark room, and a 5 sec clip in a daytime room. The results are as follows, you can do your own tests.

Daytime

hd1080P 30f 12.13 mb 17.54 mbits 29.97 fps
hd720P 60f 12.88 mb 17.87 mbits 59.94 fps
hd720P 30f 11.21 mb 15.16 mbits 29.97 fps
WVGA 30f 4.40 mb 8.88 mbits 29.97 fps

night time

hd1080P 30f 10.10 mb 15.38 mbits 29.97 fps
hd720P 60f 5.19 mb 7.73 mbits 29.97 fps
hd720P 30f 5.16 mb 7.47 mbits 29.97 fps
WVGA 30f 3.62 mb 4.31 mbits 29.97 fps

It is best to film with HD1080P 30f resolution as you see minimum drops in mbits, and file size.

All other resolutions taken a drop over 50% except WVGA, but file size is minimum loss.

Settings were not taken with face detect, or EIS On, again you may opt to test out te additional functions.

One thing can be said at night time video in HD1080P 30f no loss in zoom, but grainulation, as other pc low budget economy hybrid cam have that same loss, but not loss in lighting of other resolutions/ Bestto film with hd1080P and switch to d720P for more motion shots enjoy