Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:51 PM   #611

here is a idea I have and one day will again ave to play around with ext mics. and do a review about it.

room for two mics, wire to the upper part where our hand or hands do not block sound.

We know the cam as a Int Mono mic, bypassing the internal mic , is as easy as plugging in a ext mic, and done.

Why not just get a better external mic, and carry with you all the time etc, etc....

or

Why not bypas with the ext plug for a perminant fit, This will be a mod, opening the cam glueing in mic to the left, to the right and hard wire, and seperate the pin to correctly contact as if it were external.

sounds simple, it is simple, justthose without soder skills, or how to open a cam, may not want to tear apart a perfect model.

Sounds interesting if asked. but before a attempt is made:

we need to find our perfect little mics run a pair of wires to a ext plug and test sound seperate left... seperate right..... and if all works well the mod can go into effect.

This is a internal stero mic mod, I as well have an idea for a ext stereo mod tat would have used the plug a wire and a tripod hole covering the bottm to make a squarer base but the hand will cover.

hope my idea elps you out

enjoy, these mods are most likely personally done already.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:12 PM   #612

hay guys,great thread and reviews and pics!!!!!

Got my Zi8 today and updated new firmware/16BG A DATA Class 10 Card/Remote/Mini Tripod/2 Extra Batteries ..... AVS Video Editing Software/ Movavi/ Adobe Prierme 3 / Pinnacle 14 / External Microphone on the way......am ready to roll

Have read through many pages on this forum a wealth of info and some stuff a lil above my head at this time.

I have two questions......

1. Can you please tell me what is the best/prefeered video editing software that works well with the Zi8 and .mov files?

2. Can clue me in on some tips and tricks to getting great picture quality with my Zi8?

Noticed the wobble in 1080p and grainy indoor low level light video already....
chrisyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:30 PM   #613

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisyak View Post
hay guys,great thread and reviews and pics!!!!!

Got my Zi8 today and updated new firmware/16BG A DATA Class 10 Card/Remote/Mini Tripod/2 Extra Batteries ..... AVS Video Editing Software/ Movavi/ Adobe Prierme 3 / Pinnacle 14 / External Microphone on the way......am ready to roll

Have read through many pages on this forum a wealth of info and some stuff a lil above my head at this time.

I have two questions......

1. Can you please tell me what is the best/prefeered video editing software that works well with the Zi8 and .mov files?

2. Can clue me in on some tips and tricks to getting great picture quality with my Zi8?

Noticed the wobble in 1080p and grainy indoor low level light video already....
Welcome aboard Chris....

q1.. I use a number of hd video editors, avs4u the full FREE version is awesome, I use magix movie edit pro most the time 12,14,15 plus series,

q2 keep the face OFF, and EIS OFF they only waste te battery lol
hd1080P low level is the now ideal to shoot, you only will get grain if you're zooming do not zoom forget you got zoom

enjoy the cam get used to it and you'll like it a lot better.

Some tricks are zoom in then use macro.

finger over the red button, (not a trick lol)

Filming in HD720P 60 f is the best for daytime and when low levels fall te cam will drop frame rate without warning to 30f, no matter wat the file size will be identical to hd1080 for lower frame rate, reason to switc to hd1080P at night

my opinion. read at your leasure enjoy once again

Last edited by fishycomics; Dec 26, 2009 at 8:43 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 6:11 PM   #614

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Welcome aboard Chris....

q1.. I use a number of hd video editors, avs4u the full FREE version is awesome, I use magix movie edit pro most the time 12,14,15 plus series,

q2 keep the face OFF, and EIS OFF they only waste te battery lol
hd1080P low level is the now ideal to shoot, you only will get grain if you're zooming do not zoom forget you got zoom

enjoy the cam get used to it and you'll like it a lot better.

Some tricks are zoom in then use macro.

finger over the red button, (not a trick lol)

Filming in HD720P 60 f is the best for daytime and when low levels fall te cam will drop frame rate without warning to 30f, no matter wat the file size will be identical to hd1080 for lower frame rate, reason to switc to hd1080P at night

my opinion. read at your leasure enjoy once again
thanks for the tips........

you would think face and eis would help.....guess not........

i noticed some stutter in the playback of my 1080p vids and the wobble......the wobble i guess is part of the eis thingy but the stutter was a lil suprised by considering i have a pretty good sd card.

in doors some of the film can look grainy have not tried with the face and eis off yet,hopefuly that will help a bit....
chrisyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 6:37 PM   #615

Quote:
i noticed some stutter in the playback of my 1080p vids and the wobble......the wobble i guess is part of the eis thingy but the stutter was a lil suprised by considering i have a pretty good sd card.
turning eis off will pretty much get rid of the jello effect
NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:06 PM   #616

Quote:
thanks for the tips........

you would think face and eis would help.....guess not........

in doors some of the film can look grainy have not tried with the face and eis off yet,hopefuly that will help a bit....
EIS and FAce may be gimmicks or additional functions. as NothingRare and I say turn them off save additional battery power and get better results. you can have the EIS on all you want andstill shake. and still have a poor shot.

someEIS will work only still, only cam etc, etc.

when you try let us know, if you do not try you'll never know.

I learned to just keep them off, and I am learning to now switch to hd1080P for night shots LOL
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:51 AM   #617

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
the camcorder has a setting called NTSC / PAL you make sure it is on that, some othercams have an additional one called Flicker.

NTSC is a USA thing, PAl is a overseas thing for frame rate.

Flicker is a Electical thing where you have to ahve it set to 50htz by you. while USA 60htz.

So when ordering this from a USA place I wonder, Just wownder if that causes issues overseas.
It does. Setting my camera for 50hz flicker drastically reduces brightness (as the camera is forced to run at 60fps which is incompatible with 50hz lighting, rather than the more efficient 50/25fps). 60/30fps is relatively unnecessary these days, and very detrimental when we had lower data rates, as 50/25fps allowed more per frame. This was another reason not to buy these 60/30fps cameras, versus "normal" better quality cameras that offered 25/50 fps modes. Believe me, my 60fps HSHD gets even more horrible.

Now, for the new Kodak to be released in a few weeks, anybody got information or a name, and does it do 50fps?
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:47 AM   #618

Hey, guys -- appreciated all the info in reviews. Just got a zi8 for Christmas, was really excited to get going with it. I think I'm SOL, though -- after updating to firmware 1.06 I still have vertical lines in 720p/WGA/Still mode identical to those which other people say were fixed by 1.06...unfortunately, I only discovered this fact after I attached a step ring to the zi8 with epoxy for attaching lenses so I doubtless can neither return it nor send it in for repair. Anyone have any other ideas?
jbengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:52 AM   #619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post
It does. Setting my camera for 50hz flicker drastically reduces brightness (as the camera is forced to run at 60fps which is incompatible with 50hz lighting, rather than the more efficient 50/25fps). 60/30fps is relatively unnecessary these days, and very detrimental when we had lower data rates, as 50/25fps allowed more per frame. This was another reason not to buy these 60/30fps cameras, versus "normal" better quality cameras that offered 25/50 fps modes. Believe me, my 60fps HSHD gets even more horrible.

Now, for the new Kodak to be released in a few weeks, anybody got information or a name, and does it do 50fps?
As I said, Flicker is not shown at all, and I know its aiutomatically set when choosen NTSC/pal thanks.

to not show a icon would may one think it is offered LOL
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:13 AM   #620

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbengraham View Post
Hey, guys -- appreciated all the info in reviews. Just got a zi8 for Christmas, was really excited to get going with it. I think I'm SOL, though -- after updating to firmware 1.06 I still have vertical lines in 720p/WGA/Still mode identical to those which other people say were fixed by 1.06...unfortunately, I only discovered this fact after I attached a step ring to the zi8 with epoxy for attaching lenses so I doubtless can neither return it nor send it in for repair. Anyone have any other ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ69xv94fVA

Watch te clip in the pic or link (click pic), your options are clearly easy.

a single screw holds the cover of the upper part on, and you'll take off and exchange parts, it is that simple, I know you will not want to dish out the dough, then your other option will be to use a glue remover, alochol or nail polish.

I do not mess with the glue yet, or want to modify when first purcased/

If you ask me:

I would Observe the cam first, take a video per eac setting and observe how face on/off works well with te cam, EIS on/off, zoom in increments, landscape macro etc, etc.

There are four settings 5 or 6 functions mentioned above and if I have to break it down it be like 500 tests or more to do.

I observe at least pass the return date, the warranty date,

I would not jump the Gun to load fw fast, just me, firmware may or not fix, or modify te problems we have or not.

So again , there is one screw to take off if you decide tat route. enjoy