Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:27 AM   #621

Hey guys...
Just got this lil Zi8 in my hands and did some beginner shots with it in all the dif settings and all.... My aim for this cam is to have it mounted on my motorbike and film when were out touring and driving on track, the problem then I knw from the past is vibrations...

Any of you got any decent tips on howto make a cameramount tht dampens vibrations that could fit onto the the tank/handlbar on a motorcycle, and I tested out the EIS on the camera now and well that is not an option I quickly realized viewing the results now...

Overall when feeling this camera out so far it is what I been looking for...
Roeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:37 AM   #622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roeters View Post
Hey guys...
Just got this lil Zi8 in my hands and did some beginner shots with it in all the dif settings and all.... My aim for this cam is to have it mounted on my motorbike and film when were out touring and driving on track, the problem then I knw from the past is vibrations...

Any of you got any decent tips on howto make a cameramount tht dampens vibrations that could fit onto the the tank/handlbar on a motorcycle, and I tested out the EIS on the camera now and well that is not an option I quickly realized viewing the results now...

Overall when feeling this camera out so far it is what I been looking for...
Welcome aboard roeters and others....

Turn EIS OFF, and forget about it my advice on it, a member of youtube shown a ride and was like underwater riding that bad.

not a pro, have you looked online at any sites tat sell tripods specially for the bike.

again welcome aboard
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:38 AM   #623

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ69xv94fVA

Watch te clip in the pic or link (click pic), your options are clearly easy.

a single screw holds the cover of the upper part on, and you'll take off and exchange parts, it is that simple, I know you will not want to dish out the dough, then your other option will be to use a glue remover, alochol or nail polish.
In fact, your video was one I watched first of all -- it made sense to me to remove the bezel from the camera before attaching the step ring. Unfortunately, glue remover isn't an option, as in order to ensure a solid bond between the step ring and the ABS plastic of the bezel, I first lightly sanded the area around where the bezel attached -- it would definitely still be clear the camera was modified. I know, I know, probably not smart, but I tested the video first and the lines were so subtle I didn't notice them the first time.

Swapping out the bezel makes sense as I could then just return it to Best Buy, but then where am I going to get another bezel? When I initially bought the camera and watched your video, I looked on Kodak's website to see if I could order spare bezels (in case I wanted to try different modifications) and didn't see anywhere I could order that part for the zi8.

Last edited by jbengraham; Dec 28, 2009 at 9:41 AM.
jbengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:01 AM   #624

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Welcome aboard roeters and others....

Turn EIS OFF, and forget about it my advice on it, a member of youtube shown a ride and was like underwater riding that bad.

not a pro, have you looked online at any sites tat sell tripods specially for the bike.

again welcome aboard
Thanks, EIS is turned off now and not coming back on got motion sickness when I looked at the clips I filmed with it on, but IS doesn't work on motorbikes anyways least not with the cameras I tried out before this one.
I been looking over the mods you guys made by sticking aftermarket Wideangles on there, I would like an option like that myself but I fear it wouldn't be sturdy enough to stick by on the camera when you are riding.

I have taken a few measurements and I might try to make a casing in clear acryl and make a screwin option for a wide angle instead of a magnetic washer as I saw u guys do. That would also mean no meddling with the original casing with glue or stickers...
Roeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:38 PM   #625

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbengraham View Post
In fact, your video was one I watched first of all -- it made sense to me to remove the bezel from the camera before attaching the step ring. Unfortunately, glue remover isn't an option, as in order to ensure a solid bond between the step ring and the ABS plastic of the bezel, I first lightly sanded the area around where the bezel attached -- it would definitely still be clear the camera was modified. I know, I know, probably not smart, but I tested the video first and the lines were so subtle I didn't notice them the first time.

Swapping out the bezel makes sense as I could then just return it to Best Buy, but then where am I going to get another bezel? When I initially bought the camera and watched your video, I looked on Kodak's website to see if I could order spare bezels (in case I wanted to try different modifications) and didn't see anywhere I could order that part for the zi8.
Glad to hear. the purchase of a new one, the cam, may create a 15% restocking fee. No way will Bestbuy allow you to purhase, and take off the top due to a defect, or return due to the mod. and that is where you may find that contacting Kodak, it's between you and kodak to work a deal out, if that is your angle to get a spare one.

how much will a replacement cost only kodak can answer, maybe 10.00 shipped

1 purchase new from bestbuy

2 contact kodak for a new top

3 swap new top , return to bestbuy if kodak or bestbuy options

fastest option 1, slowest option 2, option3 your decision

As we know it is in the best interest ...............

that is where you have to decide . let us all know....
Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:53 PM   #626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roeters View Post
Thanks, EIS is turned off now and not coming back on got motion sickness when I looked at the clips I filmed with it on, but IS doesn't work on motorbikes anyways least not with the cameras I tried out before this one.
I been looking over the mods you guys made by sticking aftermarket Wideangles on there, I would like an option like that myself but I fear it wouldn't be sturdy enough to stick by on the camera when you are riding.

I have taken a few measurements and I might try to make a casing in clear acryl and make a screwin option for a wide angle instead of a magnetic washer as I saw u guys do. That would also mean no meddling with the original casing with glue or stickers...
EIS does not work well period, its not perfected by Kodak yet, and has flaws. you can stand still, and use the zoom and see it record worse ten ever, or you can ride and see it as well. why I ave my prefrence, and your decison if it works for you.

Modification with a Wide Angle lens, if you're after one that will keep on perminant or temp

I would look for something a tad larger than 9.5mm from Dealextreme.com, one has ordered from Amazon.com, if it is a failure, you'll get a full refund, otherwise the Hong kong sites are basically non-refundable, and it's only lunch money where can you get something so low and free shipping LOL

the W.A. I have the magnet is easily removed, what I can think of to keep it on, better then a magnet during a ride.

a deeper washer, a pinhole or holes drilled on the side, that locks it in place, but the glued washer is the key as well. Opening up like I posted above we cam sandwitch te waser on screwed. for a more secure fit.

I like the idea of my clip on one, but as we see the angle gets cut off or blurred.

If and only if Kodak wil lever listen to us we need our own switch for a wide angle.

Creative labs claimes the GenII or is it the GenIII, has a wide angle, and I believe they are saying 16:9 ratio is a wide angle , LOL

Give some time a feww members will join in,

Contact Magic-rat if here, and if not locate windowsmovimakersforums.net and find im there. feel free to mention my name. He is a excellent guy that as a Cycle, and set up, maybe he can sterr you in the right direction
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:11 PM   #627

some of my concerns were answered, and some are firmware, some are hardware, with firmware, and only will, we see itever getting onboard. Like I said one cannot change this, nor two, or a thousand, but many. so if one has a issue, coment suggestion, basically it's called FEEDBACK contact Kodak, and more addressed, the better the chances a fix.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:14 PM   #628

Didn't see it mentioned in this thread (or may have missed it) but video playback on my HDTV seems to be pretty poor when I connect using the HDMI cable. I'm wondering if anyone else has any complaints with HDMI output.

Note that when I copy video off the SD card and watch it on my computer it looks great. Also, I can convert it with my Mac and stream it to my PS3 (connected to my HDTV) and it looks good.
Baron Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:08 PM   #629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Ken View Post
Didn't see it mentioned in this thread (or may have missed it) but video playback on my HDTV seems to be pretty poor when I connect using the HDMI cable. I'm wondering if anyone else has any complaints with HDMI output.

Note that when I copy video off the SD card and watch it on my computer it looks great. Also, I can convert it with my Mac and stream it to my PS3 (connected to my HDTV) and it looks good.
I have a lcd d tv I do not use the HDMI output. I have a lcd hd that has the DMI and Iwas amazed. my sis has a plasma iwil lgo over one day and be WOWED

I am happy, not gonna complain. but I tend to use more online ten offline.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:06 AM   #630

1080p HDMI output is excellent on my DOD F200. It uses the same Ambarella chipset... I would double-check input and output compatibility - your monitor is probably not HCP licensed and is enforcing downsampling to 480p
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote