Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:34 PM   #671

Not complaining at all, but here is a Still 16:9 5mb interpolated ofthe odak zi8. thought I snap a shot, and grab videos.

Both clips are ofa low level shot. And a very brightday with haze wonder how much shuter roll is in there at 190 mph tail wind

Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:37 PM   #672

And I had a beter cam but did notuse it. so for those in a cold place just sit back, sip on adrink and relaxe with this pix.

that is what I like about it, relaxing.

Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:01 PM   #673

the zi8 interpolates? Doesn't it have a 5 megapixel sensor?
NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:56 AM   #674

I believe it's a 2.5 interpolated into 5 like many of the cam touting >10 mp. Take a shot of distant fine object like tree branches at 3000' with Zi8, then look at the picture zoomed in and you will see the result of interpolation on those branches, they looked like fuzz ball...

BTW, need to use tripod to do this test...
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 3:37 AM   #675

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhuey View Post
I believe it's a 2.5 interpolated into 5 like many of the cam touting >10 mp. Take a shot of distant fine object like tree branches at 3000' with Zi8, then look at the picture zoomed in and you will see the result of interpolation on those branches, they looked like fuzz ball...

BTW, need to use tripod to do this test...
I completely forgot about that!
I've always used 3CCD cameras which uses a separate sensor for each RGB. Lol
NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 4:26 AM   #676

its clearly marked
its like a 2 or 3 mg interpolated to 5 mb LOL. I said many times over no one hears, they listens, they just hear, what they wan tto listen to LOL

those pix you deffently see how noisy it is. let alone zoomed in
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:58 AM   #677

Default Hp715

like I had mentioned previously elsewhere, my first digital Camera (paid $499) is the HP-715 - those good old days..., 3 MP and uses CCD instead of the cheaper CMOS. Today, there are rubber bands all over to hold the camera together, but still give me better & more natural looking picture than any of these newer 10+ MP camrea. When at home, I use this HP-715 more than any other cam I have. My next Cam will be of CCD type if they are still being used.

Interpolation is a great sounding term to confused the customers. it's like telling you that you got $100 when you only have $50 by having you count the money twice. The pixel in between two side pixels is the average of the 2 it does not sharpen the picture any, but only take up more memory. Of course the engineers who designed this will have other way of dressing it.
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:47 AM   #678

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhuey View Post
My next Cam will be of CCD type if they are still being used.
I'm sorry about my off-topic reply.

Oddly enough most consumer digital cameras of today still uses a CCD sensor. You will mostly find CMOS sensor in more expensive digital cameras such as consumer/beginner dslr, prosumer dslr and pro dslr. Nikon use the CCD sensor in some of their dslrs.

Last edited by adalfa; Jan 6, 2010 at 8:54 AM.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:53 PM   #679

Hey everyone,

I purchased 25 Zi8 Camera kits over xmas for a new project I'm working on, the kits consist of a Sandisk 16GB Class2 Card, Audio Technica ATR6250 Stereo Mic, Sony V150 Headphones, 2m headphone extension cable (for mic) and also had a cable made up that uses the 2.5mm AV out to Video Phono and a Stereo Headphone socket.

Anyways, I contacted and spoke to Kodak before I brought the camera and was told that the mic was a stereo mic input, which I still believe it is, however is the AV jack socket only capable of of Video + Mono Audio? Or are they price cutting with the included cable? I told them what I was planning and they said it would work. However they neglected to mention that as soon as you plug in the av or hdmi the built in screen turns off and the signal is routed to the respective connector.

So two questions really,

1. Is the 2.5mm AV Socket just Video + Mono or can it do Video + Stereo?
2. Is there a way to disable the screen turning off? Is it mechanical or can it be changed via firmware?

If the project is successful I'd be looking to buy 100s more.

Anyways, had a play with the camera and all works great and no issues so far that stand out. Do have a few niggles though, it would be nice to be able to monitor the sound + visual at the same time, the audio is a little quiet both with built in and the external mic, it would also be nice to have better on screen displays ie time remaining, sound levels etc

Now I realise a couple of those could be a bit much but also believe it's nothing that a firmware update shouldn't be able to handle. It's a great camera and the best overall performer that I've come across.
Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:13 PM   #680

Did pop by Kodak's page and found this lil thing:
http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/en_US/pd/PLAYSPORT_Video_Camera/productID.169976100
Looks like the ZI8 in specs and all xcept the weather proofing... Like the design of the buttons...

Roeters is offline   Reply With Quote