Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:26 PM   #681

yeah popped up yesterday or so, butstill not what jeffery Hayzlette is talking about. its the ZX3 playsport not the next gen zed I8
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:37 PM   #682

hi there everyone.
Thanks for this huge review, it helps me a lot to choose what i need.

Now i have few question. Zi8 is here with me now.
It is currently 1.03 equipped.

I read about Turn EIS off, cover REC led (from the inside), and never use digital zoom (ofcourse)
are there other tweaks to be done before to get simply the most i can from this badass??

Is it 1.03->1.06 a good step at all, or are there pro and cons i should consider?

again, thanks!
marcogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:48 PM   #683

1st take a deep breath, get used to the cam, and get to learn it. then when you are comfty. you then can upgrade to 1.06

in 1.06 the only things you'll see improvedwill be that hand, turns to EIS in settings

in 1.06 the zoom will be Smooth no more stutter.

I suggest like said above sit back fil a little then update when comfty.

its nearly 60 days later and no other updatedfirmware, so it says the cam peaked for now. no othertroubles reported.

enjoy.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:53 PM   #684

Can you clarify me a bit the reason why of the REC led mod?
Is that the refracted light accidentally going into the objective?

1.06 did not improve image quality in low level light?

thanks.
marcogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:44 PM   #685

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcogt View Post
Can you clarify me a bit the reason why of the REC led mod?
Is that the refracted light accidentally going into the objective?

1.06 did not improve image quality in low level light?

thanks.

your option,

Red light reflects in the cam you will need to correctly film so that red led does not glare back to cam. example filming a store window, capturing the christmas display the led bounces back to the cam due to the window.

not that t heled is reflecting from thecam inside

people are bothered by the record light, they do not want to be seen recording others.

So the option will be to cover, remove .

Issue when filming any light a on coming car the headlights double to the cam, creating a duplicate light.

it's annoying when you have to angle thecam but it does not help.

1.06 kodak.com claimes that the firmware fixs overal proformance and high pitch sound. they say that when 1.01 to 1.03, to 1.05, to 1.06

they never said it fixed the zoom LOL. or even changed the hand to EIS.

info held back.

I do notthink low level proformance is a issue the cam has a auto setting of ISO to 800, and taht with the cmos sensor outshines the compition outthere

what do you concider a low light
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:35 PM   #686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiant View Post
1. Is the 2.5mm AV Socket just Video + Mono or can it do Video + Stereo?
The Zi8's output through the AV jack only has mono audio. This is because the 2.5mm (3/32") subminiature jack is too small to support four pins (video, left channel audio, right channel audio, and ground), so Kodak can only use three pins: video, mono audio, and ground.

Quote:
2. Is there a way to disable the screen turning off? Is it mechanical or can it be changed via firmware?
Maybe it can be changed in the firmware, but the bigger issue preventing you from being able to monitor audio while recording is that the Zi8 does not offer live feed through the AV output; it only gives you playback of your prerecorded clips and photos. As soon as you plug something into the AV jack, the camera mode is disabled and the Zi8 automatically switches into playback mode.

But even if Kodak could give us live feed through the AV output (like they did on the Zi6), the problem is that I've never seen or heard of an Ambarella chip based camera which offers live feed audio through AV or headphones output. So, you cannot hear what the camera's microphone (internal or external) is hearing through the AV or headphones output while you are recording video. This is true of all Ambarella based cameras I've seen: Aiptek, DXG, Speed, Digilife, Vivitar, etc. -- including models which offer both an external microphone jack and a headphone jack. Ambarella based cameras have been around since at least 2007, so I'm sure if someone could do it, they would've been done by now.

If you really want to monitor "live feed" audio while recording, you have two options: use an external mixer, and monitor the audio before it gets to the Zi8's microphone jack -- but then you just have to trust that the Zi8 is accurately recording the audio you are feeding into it. Or, you can choose another camcorder which fits all of your needs without any modifications or "hacks" necessary, such as the Canon FS200.

The downside of the FS200 is that it is slightly larger and more expensive than the Zi8, and it is not a High Definition camcorder; the upside is that it gives you both a stereo external mic jack and a stereo headphone jack which does work during "live feed" recording; Canon also gives you an audio level meter on the display. It is the least expensive camcorder you can find with all of these sophisticated audio features, and as far as standard definition camcorders go, it takes good quality video and also offers excellent 41X optical zoom and autofocus -- two things which the Zi8 does not.

So, those are your options. Kodak has made the most out of the Ambarella chipset in the Zi8, but it still has limitations of what it can and cannot do!
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:52 PM   #687

[QUOTE=vwestlife;1036717]The Zi8's output through the AV jack only has mono audio. This is because the 2.5mm (3/32") subminiature jack is too small to support four pins (video, left channel audio, right channel audio, and ground), so Kodak can only use three pins: video, mono audio, and ground.

QUOTE]

I am not sure how true that is. About 2.5mm not allowed

I am sure my other device has seperate left/right video etc.. why I say that. I am no pro LOL
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:54 AM   #688

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
yeah popped up yesterday or so, butstill not what jeffery Hayzlette is talking about. its the ZX3 playsport not the next gen zed I8
and the view screen is only 2"... why go backward?
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:02 AM   #689

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbengraham View Post
Hey, guys -- appreciated all the info in reviews. Just got a zi8 for Christmas, was really excited to get going with it. I think I'm SOL, though -- after updating to firmware 1.06 I still have vertical lines in 720p/WGA/Still mode identical to those which other people say were fixed by 1.06...unfortunately, I only discovered this fact after I attached a step ring to the zi8 with epoxy for attaching lenses so I doubtless can neither return it nor send it in for repair. Anyone have any other ideas?
Hey, I had the same problem but if you notice the lines go away once you hit record.
digigirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:07 AM   #690

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcogt View Post
hi there everyone.
Thanks for this huge review, it helps me a lot to choose what i need.

Now i have few question. Zi8 is here with me now.
It is currently 1.03 equipped.

I read about Turn EIS off, cover REC led (from the inside), and never use digital zoom (ofcourse)
are there other tweaks to be done before to get simply the most i can from this badass??

Is it 1.03->1.06 a good step at all, or are there pro and cons i should consider?

again, thanks!
Definately update the firmware, it's a must! It fixes the zoom problem (wont be so chunky) and the vertical/horizontal lines you see on the screen.
digigirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote