Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:48 AM   #61

http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.j...leID=197801282
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 5:37 AM   #62

Well, I have downloaded two of the night videos after 2 days, and I am about to try downland the third one again. I've used megaupload for years, but it tends to error out on the download, had problems with speed from memory, and I have to dial up for one download per session to run in the background, and if it doesn't complete before the connection times out I have to restart from the beginning next session (not great if files are 80MB).

I have yet to review the footage, but it looks pretty good for this sort of camera (had a look at the Sanyo HD2000 11 lux sample, over at ccinfo, and that was pretty good (I think the Samsung HMX20 and the Sanyo HD2000 use related Sony sensor chips). How bright was the showroom lights Fishy, were they and the street light dark compared to how you saw it or about the same? I much prefer this type of look over the older, particularly my AIPTEK HISPEED (crash) where it seems to just clips everything to black if it reasonable dark (I forget but maybe only in normal mode). Incredible compression, hours for 64MB, as it becomes a sound recorder (with that unlovely popping m microphone system, and popping external microphone) A potentially really great legendary camera let down in so many simple way.

ccinfo reviewed the new jvc pocket model, and it does nicely in low light, sharpness, 8mpixel, even though it only goes up to 1440*1080, and they have an excellent example of why we need more data-rate. They have a simple motion test, the higher the data rate across each pixel, the less macro blocking, stepping and other compression artifacts turn up. The compression problems were pretty much as expected, higher resolution with lower frame and higher data rate beat hd at higher frame rats and less data per pixel.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...erformance.htm
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...-amp-Media.htm

The SanyoHD2000 (Now coming to the States in newer model, HD2000a, soon, hopefully with some refinements to bugs) sets the benchmark for hybrids, and beats many regular camcorders.. It produces best low light, high data rate and frame rate video:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...view-36280.htm
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...Conclusion.htm

Last edited by Wayne12; Oct 21, 2009 at 5:41 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:27 AM   #63

Quote:
The SanyoHD2000 (Now coming to the States in newer model, HD2000a, soon, hopefully with some refinements to bugs)
I had to laugh at that expression. I would hope that they actually fix them, rather than 'refine' them

The Sanyo HD2000a just adds a new video mode in the form of iFrame support which is some new mode created by Apple (960x540) for supposedly faster video uploading and editing. It's in between Standard Definition and High Definition. Like we need yet another video standard. What's wrong with 720p? If you're PC can't handle that then you use Standard Definition.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:56 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post
How bright was the showroom lights Fishy, were they and the street light dark compared to how you saw it or about the same? I much prefer this type of look over the older, particularly my AIPTEK HISPEED (crash) where it seems to just clips everything to black if it reasonable dark .....
As many clips I have, this be the Classic cars, and next door to it.

I say it was a level of light in the room where I was able to see quite nicely. not to dar, nor to light. next door outside was brighter. a front that amsure people need to see then looking at a store. I can not get over there as a film crew is setting up, they be gone the next day, i already moved foward, and the video's can be seen online , then a download. you want to fool around and do your own observation, that's great.

JVC sells for 199.99 USC at a place called PC richards and son. not happy to see pricing go higher, and higher. The samsung is a 3 sterio mic three I said.

but since we're here with the kodak. I wonder how I can modify to a three mic
touch the third mic, to one mics wires.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:08 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
I had to laugh at that expression. I would hope that they actually fix them, rather than 'refine' them
We talk to companies at times, so it is good to be nice about things. You are the only person I have heard mention the bug on the HD2000 model, and have heard of few others on the top models. Hopefully the chips in the sensors will be improved, and not merely a shift to a cheaper supplier. I imagine the new models will be reduced in production costs. It really makes you wonder why we bother with some of the cheap companies, when Sanyo is coming into the second year of a perfectly good (as in adequate) model (some would say the 3 rd or so year, but those previous ones had quirks, but no worse then virtually any under $300 hybrid).

@all generally

When I advocate 24mb/s fullhd 1080p50 (more practical than 1080p60) and 5 lux low light ability to emulate human low light color vision, latitude of 12+ stops (multi-slope), I am talking about for the hybrid cheap pocket camera market these days. Consumer delivers formats are still way ahead, with 36mb/s (useful for 1080p50) and 3D higher again, and consumer cameras were delivering in the realm of reasonable monochrome night vision (less than a lux) before 2003. These are the specs that good consumer cameras should match. Good professional cameras are double those figures again with 10 bit+ pixels (allows more room to smooth things out and get better results), and high end professional (cinema quality) is double on top of that again with preferably 12 bit+ pixels.

Quote:
(960x540) for supposedly faster video uploading and editing. It's in between Standard Definition and High Definition. Like we need yet another video standard. What's wrong with 720p? If you're PC can't handle that then you use Standard Definition.
Yes, it is amazing how late companies are to the market. This is the format we needed on DVD when they came out, before HDVB. And Nintendo refusing HD emphasis on the Wii because there were insufficient demand in the market, but a wood of panels by the time it came out, and flooded a few years in. Would it have been worth even $100 without motion control.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:37 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post
You are the only person I have heard mention the bug on the HD2000 model
I did? What bug is that? as I can't remember. Unless you meant the HD1010 which I do have!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:46 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
As many clips I have, this be the Classic cars, and next door to it.

I say it was a level of light in the room where I was able to see quite nicely. not to dar, nor to light. next door outside was brighter... you want to fool around and do your own observation, that's great.
Yes, I would like to and am hopping to, but the process is long and difficult (the third video download failed again last night after repeated attempts to get it rerunning, and I think something is trying to do an update without my permission wherever I like it or not, almost totally blocking my own Internet use ( typical).

I repeatedly examine the video running at slow speed, and get my special players to do lossless snapshot stills and dump sequences, to get a feel of the bits and pieces going right or wrong can take hours. I often don't do this, as unless the example shoots are few, short and targeted to show problems and performance, it takes a long time. I have come to the conclusion, that we are really wasting our time unless the camera is one of the best in some way in it's price range. If we can see it is good, or people can tell us it is good (or if a manufacture happens to send one), it is worth looking into.

Still, the low light video of the cars and the street, I did not quite understand, is the picture brighter or darker than real life?

Quote:
but since we're here with the kodak. I wonder how I can modify to a three mic touch the third mic, to one mics wires.
You can stick a stereo mic into he microphone port . If you want this, then there might be mic pods for to do it.

Thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:48 PM   #68

SO I was thining of a case to make, and I have this other idea in mind. it may not allow me to use the dc port, but anything is possable.

TheExternal mic modification of having the two mics on the bottom in a base.

I am wondering how to get three mics to work.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:50 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
I did? What bug is that? as I can't remember. Unless you meant the HD1010 which I do have!
I forget, you could have been referencing other's problems, but the video momentarily pausing every few hours (possibly between switching files).
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:52 PM   #70

As i am sittingdown and thinking of a battery Mod, it is very easy t odo, and a wire will be hanging, what I may also look into will be a solar panal to the cams dc port