Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:09 AM   #691

Default when zooming in everything goes darker...why?

Hey everyone, I just got the kodak zi8 and love it! I just updated the firmware yesturday and that helped the zoom a lot! does anybody know of anything you can do about the zoom issue though? When you zoom in it goes dark (in low lighting).
digigirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 1:13 PM   #692

Quote:
Originally Posted by digigirl81 View Post
Hey everyone, I just got the kodak zi8 and love it! I just updated the firmware yesturday and that helped the zoom a lot! does anybody know of anything you can do about the zoom issue though? When you zoom in it goes dark (in low lighting).
1080P does not have this problem. For 720P and WVGA, as of yet there is no fix; the answer is to simply limit your zoom to no more than halfway (2X). But digital zoom starts to get poor quality (pixellated) beyond 2X anyway.
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:05 PM   #693

Quote:
Originally Posted by digigirl81 View Post
I hear ya

1. contact kodak.com, address in the email, your issue.

2 contact via chat, address your issue

3. contact kodak, customer service, andaddress your issue.

If you Do not Address your issue, then the issue does not get fixed.

Simple as that, did you address your issue, and ask others I wonder if they went that far?

In kodaks eyes, firmware update fixed cameras proformance , and there are no zoom issues anymore, sad to hear that, right?

well. in hd1080P noise, and grain is bad, andcan be seen when zoom, all other res' a light adjustment.

All we can do is talk about it, nothing more.

As Vwest, and I agree. 40% incrrease no more that is 1.4x zoom . if you are going to zoom. a manual lens with optical zoom.

latest firmware is fw 1.06, kodak wil lnot address, or correct if one complains, ,100, or 1,000. they will address if many more.......

When time permitted, I will be happy to show zoom, of other companies vs kodak. enjoy
Old Jan 8, 2010, 4:12 PM   #694

thought I fool with Pinn 14 U....

thogut I test some zi8 clips on it. I like one plug in section, but, otherthen that its not a easy program for my pc LOL.

I am laughing how it is rendering in different sectors LOL, remember I have about 16 layers, trying to duplicate their video lol

and what I see , I do not like. and its going to be back to magix

but if I can get the mantage to work, then I am happy. cannotcpmplain for a product I purchased for a postage stamp and tax right.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:23 PM   #695

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
1080P does not have this problem. For 720P and WVGA, as of yet there is no fix; the answer is to simply limit your zoom to no more than halfway (2X). But digital zoom starts to get poor quality (pixellated) beyond 2X anyway.
I have some theories on the zoom-problem which I'm relatively sure about:

Zooming in 720p/WVGA mode:
It seems like they are using a special kind of digital zoom in this mode, which uses additional sensor-area for digitally zooming without the loss of quality. This is possible because the sensor resolution is higher than the actual image resolution. It's a pretty common technique, sony calls it "smart-zoom", samsung calls it "intelli-zoom" for example, you can look it up on google.
The smart-zoom (I'll call it that from now on) is not possible up to the maximum zoom factor of 4x, so it switches to conventional digital zoom about halfway through. I'm pretty sure the smart-zoom is an integrated feature of the sensor, while the conventional digital zoom is done by the firmware. Something seems to go wrong when switching the sensor back from its maximum smart-zoom to standard mode and emulating the rest of the continuous zoom range in firmware. Almost like they are forgetting to reset some kind of gain-factor that affects the image brightness. Using a larger/smaller sensor area and/or pixel binning (both aspects are somehow involved in the process) do affect image brightness and probably require some kind of gain correction.

Zooming in 1080p/still mode:
Conventional digital zoom is used right away so none of the above complications apply and everything goes smooth. This would also be the reason why the zoomed image looks significantly more pixelated in this mode.

Of course it's just a theory, but from observation it could be right. One discrepancy however is, a higher smart-zoom factor should be possible in wvga mode than in 720p mode, but this could be a limitation in the sensor features.
crashdebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:33 PM   #696

Another thought on the fisheye and wide lenses:
I don't think the images are blurred towards the boarder of the image because it is a "fake" fisheye lens. Sure the low quality of these lenses will affect the result, but the main reason might be that the distance between lens and sensor is not correct, thus the image is not in focus on the sensor! As far as I understand the problem, the wider the field of view of the lense, the more important it is to get the distance right. You should try adjusting the lens position, though it might be tricky, especially moving it closer towards the sensor.
crashdebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:55 PM   #697

Default the other way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post

I had it, on several occassions, brighten up when I zoomed in pass the half-way mark. Can't recalled what condition triggered it to do just the opposite but it did help on getting better view of zoomed in field. I think I was shooting on a fairly dark object (brown colored plywood wall) with just a few 23 watts CFL ceiling lights in the area. I had this happened also while filming evening street lights in HK.

Its my last day in HK and I managed to pick up another set of Wide Angle / Macro conversion lenses last night, not from the first store but at a hipped store in another district and of course, I had to pay a bit more for this set being on this very upscaled store. It is still a good buy at US$22 cause I don't see it anywhere else. The store manager gave me a card saying if I want more, I can always call and he will send it out by post. Using credit card will probably add another few % on the price. At the first store where I paid US$15 for, they don't have any and will not be getting any in.

Last edited by maxhuey; Jan 8, 2010 at 10:37 PM.
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:09 PM   #698

that will be the test then to adjust distance, oruse another device for thefisheye.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 9:14 AM   #699

As i used my kodak,and Pinn 14U. I am goingto keep with MEP15P, thought I could get a Intro, but seems to have its issues within the program..
on with some movie saves rather losing time to have failures. thumbs down to Pinn sorry.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:23 PM   #700

http://vimeo.com/8643956

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2uA9G-hOlw

USb and Dealextreme wideangle lenses, the review I have placed together , as a number ofclips, its a tough decision, ofwhat i think to be the exact lenses.

yes I have one that is incorrectly on, aswell the other. This way you see how a lens works with the device
its how many days in, that the magnet is on. and yet to say trouble cn occure. it a decision if 11-25.00 is what you're after

enjoy