Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:22 PM   #821

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhuey View Post
Sorry fishy, I was talking to another steve on the phone at the same time typing away...my fingers simply connect to the wrong nerve coming from the mouth...better stop doing multi-tasking from now on...

this better not happen in bed with wifie...
I hear ya and never upset lol
Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:43 PM   #822

Since this is a long thread, I haven't had a chance to read it all.

I just received my Zi8. The external stereo mic input was the major selling point.

I assume that some of you have used an external audio mixer or other device to feed the Zi8's external stereo mic input.

Is so, what have been your experiences, problems, tips, caveats, recommendations, etc.?
Las Vegas Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 6:18 PM   #823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Vegas Mixx View Post
I just received my Zi8. The external stereo mic input was the major selling point.

I assume that some of you have used an external audio mixer or other device to feed the Zi8's external stereo mic input.

Is so, what have been your experiences, problems, tips, caveats, recommendations, etc.?
It can certainly be done, but don't expect hi-fi "CD quality" results. The Zi8's mic input is designed for voice and other ambient sounds, so the frequency response is not as good as you might hope when recording music through a direct hookup.

But if you turn the Zi8's mic gain all the way down and then set your mixer to about halfway on the output volume, the audio level will be fine for recording.

Here's one Zi8 user explaining his setup with a turntable and mixer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPTedwR3Y0k

And here is one of my own tests of recording music through the Zi8's mic input using a turntable and mixer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8lS-2m0bEE
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 7:08 AM   #824
Uzi

I've ordered an aquapac mini camera case at the end (like this one http://www.amazon.com/Aquapac-Mini-C.../dp/B0012BT8TA), I hope the camera window will fit, I'll let you know.

I've tried converting some videos with Cyberlink Powerdirector to the ZI8 format (and renamed them accordingly), but they are not played on the device, any ideas how should I convert?
Uzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:55 AM   #825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi View Post

I've tried converting some videos with Cyberlink Powerdirector to the ZI8 format (and renamed them accordingly), but they are not played on the device, any ideas how should I convert?
HAve you used Arcsoft Total media impressions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2nuOIC90Cc

Last edited by fishycomics; Feb 6, 2010 at 11:03 AM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:01 PM   #826

Quote:
I've ordered an aquapac mini camera case at the end (like this one http://www.amazon.com/Aquapac-Mini-C.../dp/B0012BT8TA), I hope the camera window will fit, I'll let you know.

maybe you did not put it in a properly named (ie.707EKZi8) folder inside DCIM folder?

Also you may need to use H264 Encoder to properly convert the file so Zi8 can read.
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 1:18 PM   #827
Uzi

Thanks a lot, so I was not using Total Media Impressions, that was the reason. Now I'm able to convert to 720p format and play it back (via Make Movie, via Media Converter I could not get it working)
I'm still struggling with getting sound though.... When I try to convert (make movie) an XVID file I don't get any sound (only when using videos recorded on the ZI8). The same file has sound in the Arcsoft Media Player, but no sound during preview or the final file...
Old Feb 7, 2010, 1:54 PM   #828

Quote:
Thanks a lot, so I was not using Total Media Impressions, that was the reason. Now I'm able to convert to 720p format and play it back (via Make Movie, via Media Converter I could not get it working)
I'm still struggling with getting sound though.... When I try to convert (make movie) an XVID file I don't get any sound (only when using videos recorded on the ZI8). The same file has sound in the Arcsoft Media Player, but no sound during preview or the final file...
follow these steps only:

1 your video made in whatever program you desire.

2 load up TMI (total media imprissions)

in make movie LOAD your video. remove title and credit, save

2 save as one of the four reso's.

name it the kodaks file

you did not do that.are we correct?

you said you used the converter, and the converte rwill not work.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:20 PM   #829
Uzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
follow these steps only:

1 your video made in whatever program you desire.

2 load up TMI (total media imprissions)

in make movie LOAD your video. remove title and credit, save

2 save as one of the four reso's.

name it the kodaks file

you did not do that.are we correct?

you said you used the converter, and the converte rwill not work.
I did exactly these steps 1-3, but the result video was muted (the video was ok, just no sound at all). (I've also tried the converter without success)
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:47 PM   #830

Quote:
I did exactly these steps 1-3, but the result video was muted (the video was ok, just no sound at all). (I've also tried the converter without success)
so we're doing it steps like i said hmmmm. you have a sample of the file youcare to share, pm if you like to keep it private