Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 13, 2010, 2:10 AM   #851

Have you been timing the length when shutdown initiates? I'm thinking the circuits maybe overheating. Toss it in the fridge for a hour and power it up and see how long it stays up for
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 7:49 AM   #852

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr727 View Post
I am week one of a three week vacation far from home and my Zi8 just died.

trouble 1
I charged the camera overnight using a USB charger, this morning the camera turns on, shows live video, the resolution selection screen, the battery shows full, as the time remaining is shown on the screen, the screen goes dark, not off, and after about a minute the camera powers off with the Kodak animation.

I tried removing the battery, powering on without the SD card, no go.
If I connect the camera to the PC the USB drives show up.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Regards
P.
A exhausted battery, in the kodak Zi8:

will allow cam to turn on, NO SOUNDS, and will automatically shut down. does this happen, in any way

I am sorry to hear this.

1. there are three Kodak methods to charging:

A) AC with the correct cable to the charger.

B) usb with the correct cable to the pc or lap

C) Kodak cam usb to the pc or lap

Do not mix the ac/dc cable with the pc port.

2. There are two ways to charge :

A) via kodak

B) via aftermarket

lets look at one problem at a time: And it seems you covered it quite nicely.

When the Kodak is fully charged in your eyes 3 hrs max. You turn the cam on, it is already going to the dark screen, or do you have time to get to the settings/format screen?

If you have about 5 secs you can to reformat:

When turning on you sould hit setting within a sec, it will go to settings in one click. down right, with mouse click once.right once. click right and click once.

If not then we need o try a different battery, if a different battery is not around. a alternitive :

battery icon shows Neg (-) on the left and pos (+) on the right, 3AA or 3AAA batteries, a cellphone battery touching the pins.

understanding it may be hard to find the tools required , two wires, if offa bread, or garbage bag at a supermarket etc..

As our members have excellent Ideas, but Kodak may not offer a replacement , as they are interested in Sales first, then repair later.

See if the On/Off Button is not damaged, and all 5 buttons are in working order as well.

Ifyou can plug in to a tv set (will nothow setting screen or live feed), but will show playback, if it stays on in playback,

then we have a faulty cam. it happs. lets keep positive, and hoping that you can get it fixed.

I hear you and been in that soup before.

Last edited by fishycomics; Feb 13, 2010 at 8:08 AM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:18 AM   #853

If you are like me, you probably have several SD or SDHC cards from other cameras, computers, music equipment, cell phones, etc.

I have been testing speeds from my SD/SDHC card collection using the free Crystal Disk Mark 2.2 utility program. I noticed that speeds varied considerably for the same card when testing via my notebook PC's SD card slot controller or from the Zi8 itself, especially data "writes".

Above is a spreadsheet image from tests I performed with the Zi8's internal SD controller (via USB). I assume (but correct me if I am wrong) that "write" speeds, sequential and 512KB random, are the most important speeds for use with the Zi8.

I was somewhat surprised how close most of the speeds were to each other, even when comparing a normal SD card to a class 6 SDHC card. Is speed actually such a big deal for using SD/SDHC cards in the Zi8 or are there other factors in these cards that are more important?

The big surprise here was the SVP 512MB SD card's significantly better speeds. This is a card that came with a cheap SVP camcorder I bought on Ebay more than a year ago. It is simply labelled "512MB SVP Hi-Speed".

Hoping to get similar speeds with a higher capacity card, I bought a 2GB SVP Hi-Speed card on Amazon. Unfortunately, the tested speed for the 2GB version was not exceptional and not competitive with the 512MB card.

I just ordered an SVP Hi-Speed "133x" card direct from the SVP web site to see how it measures up. I will report back the results later.

---

Do my speed test figures jive with your own tests? I'd be curious what speeds you get with other SD/SDHC cards and what should be considered the baseline speed for SD/SDHC cards for the Zi8 (why pay for higher speeds than you need?)

FYI: I didn't find it necessary to perform the test using the default "5 times". "2 times" was good enough to get a fairly accurate picture. Another caveat, I found that the CrystalDiskMark test was significantly affected by how many USB devices you have connected, especially any other USB storage devices.

It will be more accurate if you only have the Zi8 connected via USB when performing the test. I didn't follow my own advice, however. I tested with both the Zi8 and a mouse connected to a USB hub.

Last edited by Las Vegas Mixx; Feb 14, 2010 at 10:50 AM.
Las Vegas Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:51 AM   #854

Why would you need a faster card anyways? Anything that is Class 4 or higher won't have any dropped frames.
NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 8:15 PM   #855

Default finally got my spare battery...

Ordered it from A****n.com, cost $2.81 + $0.99 shipping, package looks like Duracell but not really. Cells either from US or Japan. At 1100 mAh, this should be good enough, will cycle a few times and let you know how much juice is in there. Cheers!
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:36 AM   #856

Default after first full charge

on 1080P, turn on both FD & EIS, shoot for about 51 minutes + a few minutes set up time...not bad considering it is rated 300 mAh less than Orig. more test to come after 2nd full charge.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:49 AM   #857

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingRare View Post
Why would you need a faster card anyways?
Anything that is Class 4 or higher won't have any dropped frames.
While I'm not into speed overkill, I do like to leave some performance margin for any device hiccups and memory degradation. I should also note that not all class 4 SDHC cards are created equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia

Some manufacturers use the read speed in their X-ratings,
while others (Kingston, for example) use write speed.

Even though the class ratings are defined by a governing body, like "X" speed ratings, class speed ratings are quoted by the manufacturers but unverified by any independent evaluation process.
For my own use, I prefer to use 2GB SD (not SDHC) cards which do not typically carry a "class" rating. Unlike SDHC cards, SD cards are compatible with a wider variety of devices and controllers. Even my 3 year old Fujitsu notebook PC would not read my SDHC cards until I updated the notebook's SD slot driver.

Last edited by Las Vegas Mixx; Feb 15, 2010 at 4:15 AM.
Las Vegas Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:25 AM   #858

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhuey View Post
on 1080P, turn on both FD & EIS, shoot for about 51 minutes + a few minutes set up time...not bad considering it is rated 300 mAh less than Orig. more test to come after 2nd full charge.
sounds normal to me. so you got a Steal o fa deal.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:47 PM   #859

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
A exhausted battery, in the kodak Zi8:

will allow cam to turn on, NO SOUNDS, and will automatically shut down. does this happen, in any way

I am sorry to hear this.

1. there are three Kodak methods to charging:

A) AC with the correct cable to the charger.

B) usb with the correct cable to the pc or lap

C) Kodak cam usb to the pc or lap

Do not mix the ac/dc cable with the pc port.

2. There are two ways to charge :

A) via kodak

B) via aftermarket

lets look at one problem at a time: And it seems you covered it quite nicely.

When the Kodak is fully charged in your eyes 3 hrs max. You turn the cam on, it is already going to the dark screen, or do you have time to get to the settings/format screen?

If you have about 5 secs you can to reformat:

When turning on you sould hit setting within a sec, it will go to settings in one click. down right, with mouse click once.right once. click right and click once.

If not then we need o try a different battery, if a different battery is not around. a alternitive :

battery icon shows Neg (-) on the left and pos (+) on the right, 3AA or 3AAA batteries, a cellphone battery touching the pins.

understanding it may be hard to find the tools required , two wires, if offa bread, or garbage bag at a supermarket etc..

As our members have excellent Ideas, but Kodak may not offer a replacement , as they are interested in Sales first, then repair later.

See if the On/Off Button is not damaged, and all 5 buttons are in working order as well.

Ifyou can plug in to a tv set (will nothow setting screen or live feed), but will show playback, if it stays on in playback,

then we have a faulty cam. it happs. lets keep positive, and hoping that you can get it fixed.

I hear you and been in that soup before.
Thanks for the advice.

I tried entering settings before the screen goes black, but no go.
I'll look for a replacement battery next.

When I get home, I will try to replace the camera via Amazon, where I bought it, else I will try Kodak support.

P.
ptr727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:09 PM   #860

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhuey View Post
went 55.60 minutes after 2nd full charge, should be longer after the third full charge...