Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:50 AM   #871

Has anyone tried the hdmi output before? I'm trying to see if I can see live output from the zi8, for the purpose of using it as a makeshift camera.

Currently in the Zi8, when I plug the Hdmi connection into a hdmi capture card (blackmagic intensity), the Zi8 will power up, the lcd will show live, then switch to to playback, then off. I can't get any further than that, and no output gets received.

Funnily enough the Samsung umx h10 has a similar problem too via component..
SuperRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:15 AM   #872

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRoach View Post
Has anyone tried the hdmi output before? I'm trying to see if I can see live output from the zi8, for the purpose of using it as a makeshift camera.

Currently in the Zi8, when I plug the Hdmi connection into a hdmi capture card (blackmagic intensity), the Zi8 will power up, the lcd will show live, then switch to to playback, then off. I can't get any further than that, and no output gets received.

Funnily enough the Samsung umx h10 has a similar problem too via component..
the only, should say some. are the AIpteks that will do live feed. via componant, the Kodak does not via componant, or hdmi. sorry
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:59 AM   #873

I found that out after doing some more trawling
Was attempting to do at least some playback of recorded material (as a test), and had the same thing happen too. I'll have a try with it plugged in to the tv to check it does work. I am assuming that the output signal will be 720p which the clips are recorded in, but may the host computer doesn't like the frame rate.

*edit* both worked fine when I used them in the tv. I noticed the umx h10 with its component input does up to 720p 30hz live output view, so I've been playing with that for the moment. The kodaks interface does switch nicely when its gone to hdmi to lcd as well, I like that. But it shows up any lack of focus you've done too!

Last edited by SuperRoach; Mar 2, 2010 at 5:34 AM.
SuperRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:19 AM   #874

Playback on tv standard hi deff, and pc will not allow live feed. if Kodak had room, on the box, and or istructions they could have mentioned, but why, its not a primary feature, or of importance to them, filming, and playback are, and they left the obvious out called slideshow lol. never a pro.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:43 PM   #875

I noticed something recently, on some LCD TV that I have tried, when I plug into the HDMI cable, the zi8 stop working and hang until I remove the battery. To get the zi8 to work with these TV's, I had to turn on the zi8 first, go to play mode, then press play again to see the multiple file on the zi8 screen, than plug in the HDMI cable in. This is the only way it will work with several TV's that I had tried. On my own Toshiba DLP, any sequence will do and does not hang the zi8. Anyone had same experience? Max
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:45 PM   #876

For interest, here's a post I made in another part of the forum on the Zi8 vs the DXG 595v:

Just got my Zi8. I have the DXG 595V with the updated firmware and high bitrates. Here's my take:

The Zi8 outperforms the DXG by a significant margin. The colors are better saturated and more natural. In 1080p mode, the picture is significantly sharper. EIS in 1080p mode works very well and it's nice to be able to capture in this mode without a tripod. When it comes to low light, there is no contest. The Zi8 produces usable images where the DXG produces an out-of-focus blur.

The DXG has a very useful zoom lens which is significantly better than the digital zoom of the Zi8. But in every other respect, the Zi8 sets the pace.

Brian
brians238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 4:20 AM   #877
Uzi

I've used the ZI8 in the Aquapac bag last week during on our Holidays. It was working quite fine (water was not getting in )

When I was taking attention to the following, the results were also quite ok:
- Keep the lens part away from your suncreamed body or hand You can wash it only with soap when you are back to your room. It really effects image quality
- Do all settings before you go underwater. You won't see the display at all. I was glad to have the red recording light to check if I started recording or not.
- Push out the air as much as possible to keep the bag flat. I made some recordings with a "blown up" bag, it was distorting a lot and everything was out of fous.
Uzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:46 AM   #878

Default A few Zi8 Field notes and a question

Hey folks, wanted to share some info about the Zi8 now that I have owned it for several months and have used it extensively outdoors in varying environments. - I am running on Firmware 1.06.
First, for those looking for a case to protect the Zi8, I choose to really look hard in this area I came up with the Case Logic TBC-312 (If you are in Canada, The source has them on sale as of the date of this posting for $9.99).
It not only can carry the camera but also some spare batteries and SD cards if required. Small and compact. Durable.
Cold weather performance is good, however, there is a situation I have come across twice that users should be made aware of.
Since the camera does generate heat when operating, there is the potential to cause condensation inside the camera body and sometimes causes fogging of the lens. As a safety measure I have place 2 dessicant (silica gel) packs in with the camera case to draw away as much moisture as possible. (It's those little white packs of gravel like substance you get in shoe boxes or binocular cases, etc)
I've also noted that the camera microphone seems to be more sensitive on the operator side than the front (lens) side of the camera. Not sure if this is a glitch but since many of my recording are done with a tripod I have found that mounting a small plastic homemade reflector made from a plastic pop bottle around the operator side of the camera will help collect and channel the audio up front into the device.
Speaking of audio, I have used external mic's with this device and I have had mixed results. The Sony Stereo ECM-DS70P was my first choice and it performed ok, however I found that when I used it with an extension cable there was noise introduced into the audio stream. Like a buzz / hum. In fact, I found that with a couple of mics. It wasn't really loud but in some cases it was there.
Most of my recordings have been in 720/60 and 1280. I have not had any out of sync issues using a Transcend 16gb Class 6 card. Very happy with the memory and the results.
Actual video performance has shown me that the color reproduction and saturation levels in a overcast situation have been pretty decent. Their is slightly noticeable tearing and pixelation on the edges of colors that contrast greatly with other surrounding colors. During sunny days is where this camera really shines and you really see it's best performance.
Now, as I mentioned, I use a tripod quite a bit and when recording, I have had birds, geese etc fly past and they appear very clear. The "fluid" like motion is consistent and there doesn't appear to be any stuttering.
Now with that being said, in darker situations I have noticed on occasion the odd stutter and in situations where there are rapidly changing light levels, such as waving a flashlight or capturing lightning, the camera auto exposure is a little slow to compensate but in reality, it is a budget pocket cam and the recovery is pretty quick for what it is worth.
Macro mode seems a little tight in that you have a very limited area of focus. I dont use macro much but when I do it's a little finicky trying to find that perfectly focused sweet spot.
Battery life is shorter than specfied, but I am using this camera in a colder outdoor environment. I have two spare batteries that I carry with me which are aftermarket (non-Kodak) batteries and they are rated for 840maH whereas the KLIC7004 is rated at 950maH. It wasn't a big deal that I was getting a lower capacity as the price allowed me to buy two for the price of one KLIC7004.
I find the USB flip-out connector is stiff and the rubber / silicone connector assembly that is used to give the connector it's flexibility worries me a little. More often than not I will remove the memory card instead and insert it in my notebook.

-------------------
Now, if I may - can I ask a question of all of you? There has really been no consensus on the "BEST" firmware that Kodak has released for this camera. Some will say one is better than the other. Certain quirks appear in some and not the other, yet in some cases we seem to lose quality in certain areas. For example, as others have pointed out, I think the recorded audio is better in 1.05, yet in 1.06 I believe the EIS was improved on 1080 - but only really noticeable when the camera is still - tripod mounted.
So I'm wondering, what is your consensus on the best firmware? For now, I'm sticking with 1.06. I've been hounding Kodak support to look into the zoom/ darkening problem but to no avail....
What are your thoughts?
Cheers,
Ticking Mind.
tickingmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:35 AM   #879

Tick.... loved the write up.

Fw 1.06 must be upgraded to a Newer version. They even introduced a newer model, but less the additions, called the ZX3, Known as the sportsmand whatever hte name.

The killer it has all the quirks of what The Zi8 has, so Save your money. unless you want waterproof............

I am not `100% pleased, with Fw 1.06, but will say 1.01 never had, if one had it Post it

1.03 High pitch........

no 1.04 skipped it

1.05 basically no improvement, so 1.06 is the ideal for all. my opinion.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 2:03 AM   #880

Default Camera case

Hey if you are anywhere near EFADS (Everything For A Dollar Store) in southern Canada, they just brought in a new camera case that fits the Zi8 quite well with room for extra batteries and SD chips. $1.12 is all you need to pay for this gem. I'll post picture later...
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote