Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 22, 2009, 3:53 PM   #81

My Opinion, of the Zi8 the EIS is totally different of the Aipteks GVS.
The Zi8 rollingshuter is not strong at all on the Zi8. The Angle of view are of to close as well. while editing long files may result in crashs on slower pcs, especially with HD1080P.

The Action HD GVS has the better Gyroscopic stabilization system, very little rollingshutter, or none at all. the Angle the same.

With any hd cam the field of depth isset, more close, than far. attaching a .60 plus wide angle be your best option.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 5:35 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post

With any hd cam the field of depth isset, more close, than far. attaching a .60 plus wide angle be your best option.
SO are you saying that these cameras wouldn't have a wide enough field of vision to take in both people in the front of the car?
lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:39 PM   #83

sounds about right, I do hold my cam in hand, and feel that the only view I get in the cam will be just me , so having said that you'll not get both the pass, and driver, unless either the cam has a wider angle of .45, on the emblem of the hood?
the older model I had mantioned will be better but stil la wider angle be needed. They do make a extreme wide angle lens and a car recrder, found online at ebay.a few hundred dollars

I find the Kodak Zi8 may not be a camcorder in a moving object, but will film a moving object better.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:11 PM   #84

The Sony I tested almost worked by putting it in the corner with the passenger in the foreground and the driver in the background... I imagined that with the extra depth given by not having the back end of the camera in the way (as a Zi8 is flat) it would keep it all in... but that's assuming the angle is similar and I don't know how to find that out!
lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:50 PM   #85

As most Hd models will have the same field of depth. a test run is needed for ya, its night time and kodak said this is not a night time cam, so if given the chance I shall do a observation for ya. but I will be solo on this.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:53 PM   #86

Default Help

hi guys.

i tried to load the 1.03 firmware. but i have messed somethings up.

in the test screen i have changed the following:

defective pixel is now white instead of green
wb calibration is white also
gyro calib is white
aaa test is red with ng by it
i have also managed to format the onboard memory. so now there is no arcsoft on the zi8.

i have tried the factory default but it says need calibration.
i have also tried to put a copy of the arcsoft back on to the a drive(onboard memory) but it says that its write protected.

so far it hasnt made any difference to the performance of the camera. but i am worried that i have naffed it up and that i wont be able to fix it.

if any one has any ideas then that would be great.

thanks

regards

chris.
chrisc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2009, 3:22 AM   #87

hi guys.

so i have managed to re-upload the arcsoft software onto the onboard memory and i have sorted the aaa test. but the other settings are still white. any ideas?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 4:16 AM   #88

Welcome aboard Chrisc74....

With the Zi8, it may be different,as I found with the Aiptek GVS,and warned others not to dg into the firmware, deep within. It's your moeny and not here to lecture but try to give support.

white pixal or calibration, there are grads of purewhite if paper background,etc. and a correct distance needed. cam must be on a tripod..

black pixal.... the same test.........

I wonder if you may call Kodak get a technicion and record the conversation so you'll have not the person to repeat, and whatt hey will not offer..

a video on youtube. pertitions notto send the cm to a subcontractor, known as precesion camera repaires..

So my advice to you, will be get online. call kodak. and demand a refund tell them the cam is defective, it turns on and is at that state just turns on.
you'll get directed to tech, get a case number,and transferred back to kodak, and either via mail or online a return label to send the cam back fully paid.

I hear good, and I hear bad stories of kodak,
I had one issue that never popped back, a dead pixal.

Best not to fool with the firmware. If you were just loading and came to that state, kodak will only repair.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 5:05 AM   #89

thanks for the advise. i would like to keep the camera as i do like it alot. i think i will try kodak and see what they say.

thanks again

Chris
Old Oct 23, 2009, 7:05 AM   #90

hi

spoke to kodak who told me to talk to amazon. amazon have arranged for me to return it and get a full refund.

now i have to decide whether i still want to get another zi8 or some thing else.