Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 26, 2010, 1:33 AM   #901

Quote:
Originally Posted by garman View Post
Well I tried another EFADS today. No luck, but I did find and strobe light. Bought only three (only 3 remaining). My kid loves it, he's using it with his siren lights for his rock video's. If only we had a fog machine. LOL.
Funny if your wife allowed you to purchase a replacement because of buttery fingers she's certainly a keeper!
Went by Langley EFADS again today, found out they have a few waterproof bags in today, so I pick up an extra one just in case. I also got another camera bag (they only got 3 on the wall). All together I paid $2.24
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 1:40 AM   #902

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhuey View Post
Went by Langley EFADS again today, found out they have a few waterproof bags in today, so I pick up an extra one just in case. I also got another camera bag (they only got 3 on the wall). All together I paid $2.24
You taunt me with more waterproof bags. Where do you live, a flood plain? Nice little camera pouch.
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:01 AM   #903

some plexy solvesshooting vid for the front, a feel for the others
Old Mar 26, 2010, 4:59 AM   #904

Quote:
Has it got any of the quirks we had in the Zi8?

I am thinking I gotta have one too!

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hybrid-still-movie-mp3-digicams/167995-kodak-playsport-zx3-full-review.html

Thank you for your Interest in the Kodak Playsport maxhuey.

A topic I am sure you are aware of. I have not come to any conclusions yet to make accusations yet.

The Tests were done at Kodak Labs, and others out online with their own tests, examples, and prototypes, etc thumbs up to you.

Left a ton of Info out that may decide if the Playsport, or ZI8 will be the one.

Different strokes, for different folks, I have made my start of the reviews, and made a test sample of my own, and others Low level, daytime, sound etc .

I will lean this way, and that way. for first time Buyers it's a clear choice. second time buyers it best to watch. and owners of the Zi8 may be exactly what you're asking.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:52 PM   #905

Quote:
Originally Posted by garman View Post
You taunt me with more waterproof bags. Where do you live, a flood plain? Nice little camera pouch.
I am in Burnaby, 1/3 of the way into Vancouver and 2/3 of the way to Langley. Sometimes, buying at EFADS is similar to buying at Costco, can't count on them having the same product all the time so if you see them now, you gotta buy it now.

Are you far from Langley? If you like, I can get one for you next time I go to Langley.

Digressing a bit to a nut's idea, I thought about setting my Z on Macro, turn on at 720/60, put it inside the hydro bag with a long string and drop it down the tiolet bowl after someone has been there, then flush the toilet. Just might get a closer look of a "never seen before" look at what happen after flushing...
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 4:07 PM   #906

Quote:
I am in Burnaby, 1/3 of the way into Vancouver and 2/3 of the way to Langley. Sometimes, buying at EFADS is similar to buying at Costco, can't count on them having the same product all the time so if you see them now, you gotta buy it now.

Are you far from Langley? If you like, I can get one for you next time I go to Langley.

Digressing a bit to a nut's idea, I thought about setting my Z on Macro, turn on at 720/60, put it inside the hydro bag with a long string and drop it down the tiolet bowl after someone has been there, then flush the toilet. Just might get a closer look of a "never seen before" look at what happen after flushing...
where's my bag. oh I do not need one now Lol or do I
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:06 PM   #907

Quote:

Well now I see why I can't find any. You are on the other side of the Canadian landscape. I'm in Ontario, Toronto to be more precise. As for stringing up your Zi8. I'll pass on the video sample.
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:05 AM   #908

Default My Zi8 Modification Video

So based on this thread, I bought my Zi8. v1.06. I didn't like the narrow Field of View so i wanted to modify it, but not use the magnet rings due to long term chip exposure to magnetic flux fields. I'm an electrical engineer and understand that it does indeed screw up your semiconductor junctions after some time.

So I used a tried and true mod of using a 25-37mm step down ring. But using an epoxy and not the inferior super glue method. I made a video of my Mod - posted here:
http://blip.tv/file/3385541

Also, since I have need for a small HD camera on expeditions around the world, this camera fit the bill. Most of my shooting is outside, so the poor indoor performance is irrelevant. The short battery life is an issue. For $6 you should buy 2 extra batteries on eBay.

The onboard mic is subpar, but the external mic jack more than makes up for that.

A second issue is the *.MOV format has a codec glitch. The sound file with the video has a known glitch. This *MOV file can not be easily imported into most high end video Editors (NLE) without modification. That's a big negative in my book. I have to transcode the file at 6M/s into h264 before I can use it in my NLE. I use Cinelerra, a profession yet open source NLE. Lets hope v1.07 fixes this, but don't hold your breath.

Overall, it is a very good cam.
outofabluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:52 AM   #909

I find what you're saying not true,Magnets are ofa function and being used in cams. the Aiptek Action HD GVS has one located on the swival screen that is closer to the Ambrrella chip, and an additional magnet directly on and above the swival itself. so the video is allowed to flip a 180 degree forturning.

The Kodak, has about 1-2mm ofspace inside fro mthe outer lens to the interior, and not near the Ambrella chip It will take a strong magnet, stronger then the ones supplied by these cheap companies out there to even show damage.

The Killer there are magnets as well as close to the SD slot. so again the info we provide are a opinion, thank you.

I see no damage, on the Models I own.

Battery life, on Hd cams 50 mins are average on major, and Low budgets. but on this low Budget you have that option to run a adaptor for unlimited power, that is priceless, or untill your sd card runs out.

Yes add all the parts, the people etc, etc... the mic is the second most important part, probably costed 3 cents to make, but the External Port, placing in a 3 cent mic well not going to walk with a person holding a 5K mic . lol.

Possably the issues you run are different from others, and depending on the same service packes, ffdshwo does just fine,with a Old quicktime player, that should be revamped to todays times, others run aftermarkets and do just fine.

As I run aftermarket software, they work far better then the supplied pc windows based ones., but at times it's not the software, its the combo of things....

I hear you, ands ee that you purchased based on the thread. as long as one understands:

it's a
"PC LOW BUDGET ECONOMY HYBRID CAM GREAT FOR THE DAYTIME OUTDOOR SHOTS"

glad you enjoyed your cam.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:20 PM   #910

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofabluesky View Post
A second issue is the *.MOV format has a codec glitch. The sound file with the video has a known glitch. This *MOV file can not be easily imported into most high end video Editors (NLE) without modification. That's a big negative in my book. I have to transcode the file at 6M/s into h264 before I can use it in my NLE. I use Cinelerra, a profession yet open source NLE. Lets hope v1.07 fixes this, but don't hold your breath.
I use MP4Cam2AVI which extracts the H264 stream from the QuickTime container. (does not transcode/recompress, therefore no quality loss)
Its incredibly fast - only limited by the read/write speed of your hard drive!

Windows app, so try it in wine
NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote