Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:59 PM   #911

The ring attached to the camera does not have magnet, magnet is on the lense side so the exposure to magnetism is not very much any way unless you plan to have the wide angle lense on the camera all the time.

I use H264 converter, no detectable loss of quality...

BTW new version of MI available today. Seems to run better.
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:08 AM   #912

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhuey View Post
The ring attached to the camera does not have magnet, magnet is on the lense side so the exposure to magnetism is not very much any way unless you plan to have the wide angle lense on the camera all the time.

I use H264 converter, no detectable loss of quality...

BTW new version of MI available today. Seems to run better.
What did you notice when this is the Second Update?

Electronic, magnet will probably be a lot stronger, but a magnet that are on these toys, gadgets, and electronicdevices will not harm them, as mentioned there are magnets that help in the devices.

Some that we cannot get away from, a Mic, a speaker, and they are all located near the chip, andsensors. even the magnet on a swival help tur the screens image 180 degrees. even right near the sdhc card.

So until the damage occures, and i own quite a few cams and never seen any issues, I thank you.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:32 AM   #913

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
What did you notice when this is the Second Update?
On my old (2005 vintage) hp laptop, it run a bit faster, no hang ups like th earlier version yet, "make movie" title and end frame stays black and converstion seems faster too. I did not have much time to test yet since I did one short video for my daughter. Have guests coming this week so lots of video to do, will report anything good or bad...
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:24 PM   #914

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhuey View Post
On my old (2005 vintage) hp laptop, it run a bit faster, no hang ups like th earlier version yet, "make movie" title and end frame stays black and converstion seems faster too. I did not have much time to test yet since I did one short video for my daughter. Have guests coming this week so lots of video to do, will report anything good or bad...

there is a change a nice one. video will show it later
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:36 PM   #915

While those who run the programe, and updated, you'll see some changes. I happened to have the chance to do what Kodak lied to us about,and am able to retrieve back the older version softwares. just the main page with the software update, and transitions interest me for now.

left is old, no photo editor, right there is a photo editor, and probably some other added ones lol.

and well rather the tranistions, the music has been replaced after the trans, lol even an additional icon has been added

never being picky, I just notice the obvious LOL.

Last edited by fishycomics; Apr 18, 2010 at 12:51 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:38 PM   #916

You got sharpe eyes, I am too busy shooting video...
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:35 PM   #917

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofabluesky View Post
So based on this thread, I bought my Zi8. v1.06. I didn't like the narrow Field of View so i wanted to modify it, but not use the magnet rings due to long term chip exposure to magnetic flux fields. I'm an electrical engineer and understand that it does indeed screw up your semiconductor junctions after some time.

So I used a tried and true mod of using a 25-37mm step down ring. But using an epoxy and not the inferior super glue method. I made a video of my Mod - posted here:
http://blip.tv/file/3385541

Also, since I have need for a small HD camera on expeditions around the world, this camera fit the bill. Most of my shooting is outside, so the poor indoor performance is irrelevant. The short battery life is an issue. For $6 you should buy 2 extra batteries on eBay.

The onboard mic is subpar, but the external mic jack more than makes up for that.

A second issue is the *.MOV format has a codec glitch. The sound file with the video has a known glitch. This *MOV file can not be easily imported into most high end video Editors (NLE) without modification. That's a big negative in my book. I have to transcode the file at 6M/s into h264 before I can use it in my NLE. I use Cinelerra, a profession yet open source NLE. Lets hope v1.07 fixes this, but don't hold your breath.

Overall, it is a very good cam.
That's a great mod. I had the magnetic field issue and stopped using them, but all this was a theory. Either way, your mod is much better due to the larger filter size and opens ups better quality lenses and the other important issue with mag lens mount is the assurance that my screw mount lens will not come off if nudged or bumped unlike the magnet mounts. I say good job
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:24 PM   #918

Hello Prompt please. I'm from Russia and not know English. Kodak zi8 begins to shoot (sunlight day) 720p \ 60 and the first minute bitrate 8000-9000kbps, after one minute of the quality drops to 4000-5000kbps.the image visible artifacts shoot surfing. what is the problem?Firmware 1.06 .sd card 4gb class 6.checked in other modes is the same. quality decreases after a minute recording.Bitrate see in KMplayer in real time.how to solve this trouble.help если кто есть русские откликнитесь помогите

Last edited by versus; Apr 22, 2010 at 4:01 AM.
versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:20 AM   #919

Quote:
Originally Posted by versus View Post
Hello Prompt please. I'm from Russia and not know English. Kodak zhi8 begins to shoot (sunlight day) 720p \ 60 and the first minute bitrate 8000-9000kbps, after one minute of the quality drops to 4000-5000kbps.the image visible artifacts shoot surfing. what is the problem?Firmware 1.06 .sd card 4gb class 6.checked in other modes is the same. quality decreases after a minute recording.Bitrate see in KMplayer in real time.how to solve this trouble.help если кто есть русские откликнитесь помогите
Only thing I could think of is the formatting of SD card. Make sure it is formatted properly. For mine I have to use a PC or my Casio camera.
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 2:16 AM   #920

Look for the bit rate of the camera at yourself and see how the quality falls in the second minute. card formatted camera many times

Last edited by versus; Apr 22, 2010 at 2:52 AM.
versus is offline   Reply With Quote