Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:49 AM   #941

Thanks for the disassembly tip. One of the 3 green prongs is broken. I guess I'm left to add a drop of glue inside the cover.

I was on Kodak's chat for 1hr 2mins and finally got another telephone number and case number to call about. I just don't think it is worth the hassle. Here it is in case anyone else wants it (without my case number)

1-800-235-6325 extension 12. They are available from 9AM till midnight EST.
kc8jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:08 PM   #942

DEAR FISHYCOMICS,

First of all hats off ur fine reviews on zi8.I was googling for a while now but i found ur forum the most informative and updated.

I live in india and am a big fan of hd videos(1080p). After intense googling and reading review articles on technical specs and comparison of pocket hd camcoders i arrived at a decision to purchase zi8 which stood out by a distance amongst

1) Aiptek action hd
2) Flip mino hd
3) Flip ultra hd
4) Creative vado hd
5) Samsung hmx u10
6) Sony bloggie
7) Canon ixus 100is digital camera (720p video recording with optical image stabilisation)

Unfortunately neither of them was released in india except vado hd(was overpriced inr 14,000=us$290). zi8 was available on ebay global easy buy for a expensive price tag of inr 15,000=us$300 due to import duties and was an unsafe buy. Luckily a friend of mine living in minneapolis purchased one zi8(raspberry) for me from amazon for $186, an additional battery for $3 and a 8gb class 6 transcend memory card for $22. it is arriving to my disposal on june 3rd 2010. i am very curios about the same.

Now the zi8 is available for online purchase in india at jjmehta.com for inr 10,000. On ebay india a new chinese 1080p pocket hd camcoder called venturer(or explorer hd) was available for inr 7,800 but amazon user reviews indicated that the captured video had a lot of noise and worst quality.Link to it

http://cgi.ebay.in/Smallest-HD-Camco...item563b9c09e4

I have following requests for u(due to ur vast technical knowledge and concern for people),

1) Please provide us a link for downloading original zi8 in 1080p resolution from megaupload,rapidshare etc but 1080p videos uploaded to youtube hd,vimeo etc when downloaded are in mere 720p format.

2) Please throw light (may be u can publish an article) highlighting the zi8 issues like (all in one place rather than reading entire forum)

a) Vertical lines(with light performance)
b) Electronic image stabilisation (when u move the zi8 continously with ur hand while shooting a large area u can see some compression artifacts or horizontal lines i suppose, not alike the blurring on handshakes)
c) Zi8 out of stock issues online sales and price fluctuation cause.
d) Zi8 mike issues.
e) Zi8 sensor specification issue.
f) Role of differrent firmware upgrade versions in solving the cocerned issues.

3) Zi8 vs playsport comparision-formfactor,video quality,jacks(inlets and outlets),price,design etc.

4) Why zi8 was designed like a mobile phone (for spying)?

5) Was inclusion of expensive unnecessory hdmi cable really necessory at the cost of compulsary class 4-6 memory card and a protective cover?

6) How to connect a wide angle(macro) lens to zi8.

7) Comparision of original zi8 KLIC-7004 vs cheap accesory battery (duration,life vs price).

8) Looks: scratch proof matted finish in for glossy look(fingerprint magnet)?

9) Why shoudnt one use an ac adapter cord to charge zi8 form pc's usb port(dc).

10) Role of buying usb extension cord to connect zi8 to pc rather than using the flip off usb port(prevents accidental fall)!

11) Whether to buy class 4 or class 6 memory card?

12) Why kodak is officially selling zi8 only in very developed countries like usa,europe,australia etc and not in developing countries? For its price and specs it would be the ideal camcoder to budget consumers in india.

13) Key differences between inexpensive budget pocket hd camcoders ($200) and expensive professional hd camcoders($1000).

THANX IN ADVANCE, KEENLY AWAITING UR REPLY!

Last edited by drramkishorehs; Apr 23, 2010 at 3:32 PM.
drramkishorehs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 4:27 PM   #943

Quote:
Originally Posted by drramkishorehs View Post
DEAR FISHYCOMICS,

First of all hats off ur fine reviews on zi8.I was googling for a while now but i found ur forum the most informative and updated.

I live in india and am a big fan of hd videos(1080p).

THANX IN ADVANCE, KEENLY AWAITING UR REPLY!
Welcme aboard Drrakishorehs

Thank you a ton of stuff, that will take time for me. i will do my best when I have Free time. I already compared the zi8 vs playsport.. but again can try to work on it.:

The DOD f200Hd you are referring cost under 200.00 I own it there is a stickie all about it again its called the DOD F200HD, goes under venturer butthey are not the orginal i have videos, the Kodak is the better cam it takes smoother night video less noise. for now thank you
Old Apr 25, 2010, 9:18 AM   #944

Default New Kodak Zi8 hacking blog!

Hi guys,
I'm just stopping by to let you know that there is something happening concerning the hacking of the Kodak Zi8 firmware!

http://hackmyzi8.blogspot.com/

If you are able to help us in any way hacking the firmware, please do so

Take care,
Leo
hackit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:50 PM   #945

Default I was plesantly surprised by the new version of MI

I have not done DVD conversion of my video for a while and now and with the new version of Media Impression, there's an option to use an ordinary blank DVD and save the video in 1080 HD format playable only with Blue Ray Player! just what I have been waiting for...
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 5:39 AM   #946

not many use MI, they preferre something that they have to pay for. they find it very lagging. cannot complain for FREE. the patchs are great, always checking for future upgrade patchs
Old Apr 28, 2010, 4:18 PM   #947

For a not very technical person like me, I thought MI is quite adaquate, simple to use, from cam to big screen in all the glorious color of HD video with a few simple steps. So far everyone in the family that had seen my video were very impressed. About the only thing I wish for in MI is faster processing - it took nearly 3 hours to process 1.5 gig of video into DVD format and it took over 6 hours to process the same video into blue ray format. Could possibly be that my 2006 vintage hp laptop is too slow but I heard from friends that have newer (2009) laptop saying it took a long time too.
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:08 AM   #948

Others do not like the rendering, AVCHD takes a long time, and i am sure other 3rd party programs are as well on thesame level as time to render.

Of course the older the slower, newer may not mean faster. its the Power of H264 lol
Old May 1, 2010, 4:53 PM   #949

Doh!

Hello guys I think i've screwed up my Zi8 and I don't really know where to go - and i've been reading this thread for the last few weeks so i'm hopinh someone a bit more knowledgable than i can sort my problem out.

OKay. I got my Zi8 today (finally) and one of the first things i knew i should do was upgrade the firmware. I had 1.03 on my device so promtly downloaded 1.06, created a 'system' folder on the SD card, popped it in.. and nothing happened. I switched it on and off a few times waiting for the 'checkbox' that is supposed to appear but alas.

Going to the settings menu the firmware reads '1.06'. So did installation happen in the background? I only ask because my videos have awful vertical lines on them which, in all honesty, ruin every single video and supposedly 1.06 was supposed to dispatch with this bug.

Is there a way to "reinstall" 1.06 so I can make sure?
d0od is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 5:24 PM   #950

Did you contact kodak. They said on the webpage you can reflash
Same firmware 1.06. To 1.06 and it will take. I am sure they can
Walk you throught the steps. But reflashing is not a
Thing we.re allowed to do before reflash and do a deeper reflas
Let's see what kodak says. Please contact them before I
Give explicet instructions