Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 20, 2010, 9:26 PM   #961

zx3 on sale at target for $149...
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 2:29 AM   #962

Default kodak zi8 charger

Dear Fish,

My ZI8 (ordered from Amazon,USA) is arriving from minneapolis (USA) via a friend on June 3rd to India.

My key concerns are,

1) Domestic voltage in India 220v, 50hz and but that in USA is 110v, 60hz.
2) Power Plug (of charger) for USA and India are different.

Hence i worry that i could fry my ZI8 when charging it with a charger designed to handle voltage specifications of USA rather then the of India.

Please give me possible solutions for the same.
I want to know if the AC charger which is supplied with the zi8 (ordered from Amazon.USA) is a Universal charger (able to handle a wide range of voltages and frequencies available all over the world).
Please also let me know if there is a add on to powert plug of ac charger (Zi8 in USA) making it possible for me to use it in india.

I found this information from the kodak site,

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...ctID.145051700

KODAK 5-volt AC Adapter
Input: AC 100-240 V 50/60 Hz
Output : DC 5.0 V
CAUTION: Using non-recommended power adapters could result in fire, electrical shock, or damage to your camera that would void the warranty.
Package Contents-
AC adapter
Power plugs: UK, Europe, Australia

Do these specs match with those of the AC charger supplied with your ZI8?.

,with regards.......

Last edited by drramkishorehs; May 24, 2010 at 3:29 AM.
drramkishorehs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 5:02 AM   #963

A lot can be said. Your friend does not own one, it looks like?
The Charger pulls apart in three peices. the plug, the usb cable. the base.

You cab charge via pc/mac wit a usb cable.

You need to contact the company for a 220Vac adaptor. explain to them that you Live in a region, and that you recieved the wrong plug? They may help you out, but you already said they do not ship to your local?

If you need to charge, and preferre to purchase your own ac adp,, as long as it is a mp3 style plug adp. that accepts a usb cable you are good.

or just wait for your pkg to arrive , I am sure it will be there soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drramkishorehs View Post
Dear Fish,
Quote:
Originally Posted by drramkishorehs View Post

My ZI8 (ordered from Amazon,USA) is arriving from minneapolis (USA) via a friend on June 3rd to India.

My key concerns are,

1) Domestic voltage in India 220v, 50hz and but that in USA is 110v, 60hz.
2) Power Plug (of charger) for USA and India are different.

Hence i worry that i could fry my ZI8 when charging it with a charger designed to handle voltage specifications of USA rather then the of India.

Please give me possible solutions for the same.
I want to know if the AC charger which is supplied with the zi8 (ordered from Amazon.USA) is a Universal charger (able to handle a wide range of voltages and frequencies available all over the world).
Please also let me know if there is a add on to powert plug of ac charger (Zi8 in USA) making it possible for me to use it in india.

I found this information from the kodak site,

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/en_US/pd/5-volt_AC_Adapter/productID.145051700

KODAK 5-volt AC Adapter
Input: AC 100-240 V 50/60 Hz
Output : DC 5.0 V
CAUTION: Using non-recommended power adapters could result in fire, electrical shock, or damage to your camera that would void the warranty.
Package Contents-
AC adapter
Power plugs: UK, Europe, Australia

Do these specs match with those of the AC charger supplied with your ZI8?.

,with regards.......
Old May 25, 2010, 3:26 PM   #964

Dear Fish, Thank you for your quick reply.

I made a mistake of picking up a zi8 from usa in as i was unaware of voltage specs. Now the same zi8 is available in ebay india for Inr 9,990 (roughly $222) with 1 year warrenty.

Yeh, I shall keep my fingers crossed and wait for parcel to arrive and then repost. Why am too much worried is zi8 is not officially released into indian market. So in case i fry my zi8 i need to ship it back to usa since kodak india would not repair my zi8 (void international warrenty). The cheapest parcel service from india to usa is around Inr Rs 3600 ($80) and another $80 to ship it back to india via ups/dhl once it has been repaired. I could end up spending double the amount for a single zi8.

My friend doesnt own one but I have confirmed that he has picked up one all ready for me on my request (in december 2009 from amazon,usa) since at that time it was not available in india. Since shipiing costs to india are high i asked him to get it with him when he is coming back to india (june 3rd 2010). So i dont want to take any chances and be well informed before hand. I am a hd freak (not a professional) and own 2 digital cameras (1 sony cybershot 8mp and an canon ixus 100is -12mp, capable of 720p hd video recording with optical image stabilisation).

But once I came to know about kodak zi8 capabilities, I was forced to risk purchasing one and i am very excited about it. I hope you understand my concern. I am a constant follower of your thread and have learnt a lot of stuff from your forum and will keep learning. I hope a solution to my concern would answer the queries of many people in the sub continent.

So in the next post Please give the voltage specs listed on chargers base/cable on the zi8 you own.

Thanx in advance! Keenly awaiting your reply.

This is the typical indian 2 pin (ungrounded) power plug.

Last edited by drramkishorehs; May 25, 2010 at 4:09 PM.
Old May 25, 2010, 5:12 PM   #965

Correct the plug you show will be the type you need for your Local.
the voltage says 100-240v 50/60

again like I said all you need is a MP3 adaptor that accepts a a usb cable. like the kodak plug

all you need is the adaptor head supplied part number 0934r (USA)

Old May 25, 2010, 5:18 PM   #966

Camera chargers are universal voltage (both 110-120V for America and 220-240V for other countries). To make the Kodak charger work in India you will only need a plug adapter, like the one seen here:

vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 6:38 PM   #967

Locate Dream of Digitech

but hey As I stated to locate a mp3 plug this is a Overseas first, then a USA second.

Old May 26, 2010, 3:02 AM   #968

Dear Fish and Vwestlife , Thank you so... much for your instantaneous reply. This clears all my doubts .

Very pleased to know that the kodak ZI8 chargers are dual voltage (both 110-120V for America and 220-240V for other countries). Surely this is going to add up to the "PROS" list of the ZI8. Another feather into ZI8's crown.

This was one of key concerns of many people worldwide that i found over different forums. I strongly believe that this feature would strenthen ZI8's global appeal and considerably increase its sales.

I all ready own plug adapter described by vwestlife that could be mounted to north american power plug just like this.I hope it serves the purpose for me .

Thanks guys, keep on the great work !

Last edited by drramkishorehs; May 26, 2010 at 3:30 AM.
Old May 26, 2010, 5:26 AM   #969

Plug away. I still contact the Company , like I said and tel lthem your concern, and then ifthey are o fa company outforBusiness, they'll send that adaptor without hesitation. if not then you know where you stand.

One should not go theextremes Today, as you did, but back them it was a different World.
Old May 27, 2010, 2:20 AM   #970

Default Update: supply in Australia.

Well, I thought I would give you guys an update on the zi8/playsport in Australia... (Had to stop to turn off noisy TV show, but not much on, Mather Stewart, the fairies kids show etc, but luckily "The Nanny" is on one channel, ohh those soothing tones, oh that laugh ). Anyway, back to reality.

The cameras are in short supply over here. One turned up a few weeks ago in one store, another one turned up over a month ago in another store both gone in 24 hours, before I could find out about them (even the camera manager of one store) (I also live near a city that should have ten to twenty sores carrying them). They told me one zi8 would be arriving last Monday, but that never came, and cameras are available after the 30th of June (despite 'apparently' selling two to a market of 200,000, I would also not be too surprised to see two after the 30th of June ).

The price is $299 and $249 Au$ (up till recently close to the American equivalent, which is not so worth it if I can Get a Sanyo FH1 camera that has a better sensor and is better in most ways (with 60p fullhd) for $300 more on special. Still none of the manufactures of these cheap cameras seem to have figured out to give proper official 50i and 50p frame versions in the 50i/p markets, which would help immensely with compression and dealing with lighting flicker (my HS suffers greatly with the flicker option turned on to match with 50hz lights and TV). I would not mind paying $299AU for the zi8 if the camera had waterproofing as well as macro/microphone/etc (preferably with 24mb/s h264 fullhd 60p).

Even Aiptek and DXG re-badged products seem to have dried up somewhat.

So, my recommendation is either to wait for a new camera (hopefully 60p or 3D) in a few months, or buy a Sanyo FH1a, or HD2000a.

Anyway enough of a whinge about things done wrong, Australia sux's for getting these sorts of things especially up north, ebay is your (not to expect too much from warranties) friend over here.

I am looking at attempting to buy one at one of the chain stores on my travels.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote