Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:02 AM   #981

just break down get a ZI8. rather prolong your agony.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:11 AM   #982

Default I played with a Playsport, Yipee!

Yes, it is true, finally one arrived in town and I got to play with it. Liked it, tried the usual tests, typical micron sensor. I tried the display cabinets with over light reflection, came out alright, but could not handle exposing the over lights and ceiling at the same time. But in the end I wanted macro and microphone.

Now, Fishy. I seem to remember mentioning that no shop in town has a zi8, they have never reported having one, and they tell me none until the 30th of June. It is not very easy to not prolong the agony.

At least there is hope, today the two Playsports turned up before the 30th of June in a local store , so maybe zi8's will also. I thought I would check the other stores in town for zi8's before deciding, but nobody had any. While slowly turning out of a parking bay I ran over something and did significant damage to my car (as much as the camera is worth (local price)). I found another store had three turned up, and a chemist had three in a cupboard for $299 (over $250US) while they tried to sell off a zx1 on display (with free bag) for $199.

Now, a question, I saw a case with closeup lens which got me thinking, is there a macro lens that could be sued on the playsport? Then all I need to solve is the lack of microphone port. I figure I can get around the over exposure by turning exposure down in the menu (but I have had some unusual effect doing this in the HSHD, it just caused the exposure to change quickly more dramatically).
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:12 AM   #983

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhuey View Post
no thinking required cause i don't have much of a brain...getting old, maybe brain shrinking...
I can tell, you've posts reached 80 .
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:19 PM   #984

Wayne, Sorry to hear the troubles, now only if you had that cam, then you have proof? least of worries, as long as you are fine all that matters.......

Playsport:

Does not have controls to raise/lower any video or still

The only control that you may see of the LCD screen will becalled the Glare control, it will change the live view, to black and white known as a Chrone or negetive, and saphire a golden hue. the H20 almost forgot will change video or stills to Pink or redish, that is a filter, for water Kodak claimes.

For the ZI8 in this topic:

Tthere are again no controls, and less the filter of H20

so it is sad.

The macro lens can always be added, the washer must be seliconed with aquarium glue not any other glue, reason it is a waterproof cam, the imitation glue will just fall off.

I have now had the ZI8 washer on since Dec, it fell of once and reapplied pressure and still on, holding strong

Yes a decision. and that is a lot of Dough.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:30 PM   #985

Guys, my zi8 has arrived after a long but an exciting waiting period.

What i received?

1) ZI8 main set (raspberry)
2) USB charger cable + adapter + power plug(american)
3) HDMI cable.
4) wrist strap (like a tag)
5) AV cable.

Additional purchase-

1) cheap Pentax spare battery.
2) Transcend 8gb class 6 SDHC memory card.

Total cost US $ 217.
Purchase made at Amazon.com way back in December.

Firmware version 1.06.

A quick wrap up-

1) Light weight but broad(wide) not very comfortable to hold in the palm.
2) Casing (is plastic and not metallic) is a finger print magnet (Especially the Battery door).
3) Cant view the video full screen due to HD format aspect ratio and the upper and lower edges are cropped.
4) Very basic settings, easy for layman and beginers, not much to play with.
5) 5 way navigation key is smooth.
6) ALL cables provided and the wall charger are made of high quality plastic and is very strong unlike the cheap ones.
7) Wall charger specifies 100-240v 50/60Hz, hence can be carried to any country in the world due to dual voltage support (thanks to fishycomics).
8) The class 6 transcend SDHC card records fluently without jerks and data transfer speeds is very good.
9) I recorded a few videos in lowlight in a room illuminated by 18W CFL lamp. Could find rolling shutter effect, image stabilisation works well, noise is present but less in 60FPS mode.
10) SDHC card works well with my Redbridge memory card reader.
11) TV out function is mind blowing and can watch a HD video on a Telivision like a Blu ray player.
12) Mike(internal) is monoural and not sterio , but acceptable quality.
13) USB charging via PC takes double the time than charging with a wall charger.
14) Looks more of a toy and could be confused with a camera phone.
15) Lens is deep seated and protected , is on the top left of the back.
16) The orientation of the ports (interfaces) are good and well protected under small doors.
17) The SDHC card is easy to insert (clicking sound is generated) and remove.
18) The power plug when inserted to wall charger adapter will produce a charactoristic clicking sound when in place.
19) Cant feed live recordings to a television.
20) Better to use an USB extension cable to connect to PC than hanging it to the CPU.
21) The power on button when pressed, the zi8 menu opens quickly without any lag time for loading (this may be attributed to high processing power of the chip used).

CAN THE KODAK ZI8 BE USED AS A PORTABLE MEDIA PLAYER? I PLACED SOME HD MOVIE TRAILORS (.MOV FORMAT) INSIDE THE SDHC MEMORY CARD BUT THIS WAS NOT DETECTED BY THE ZI8! ANY SUGGESTIONS REGARDING THE COMPRESSION ETC OF VIDEO TO MAKE IT TO GET DTECTED BY ZI8?

More to come...........

Last edited by drramkishorehs; Jun 5, 2010 at 2:30 AM.
drramkishorehs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 5:31 PM   #986

Quote:
Originally Posted by drramkishorehs View Post
Guys, my zi8 has arrived after a long but an exciting waiting period.

CAN THE KODAK ZI8 BE USED AS A PORTABLE MEDIA PLAYER? I PLACED SOME HD MOVIE TRAILORS (.MOV FORMAT) INSIDE THE SDHC MEMORY CARD BUT THIS WAS NOT DETECTED BY THE ZI8! ANY SUGGESTIONS REGARDING THE COMPRESSION ETC OF VIDEO TO MAKE IT TO GET DTECTED BY ZI8?

More to come...........

Yes, Kodak does no know what they have LOL.

Using the Arcosft Total media impressions. Load Any Video in there and when you render/save save as quicktime.mov the name must be

Thesame name of the file that is in thecam

Wha file name do you see?

example Folder Kod_128 file 128_0023

No that you see that file in that folder, the next file should be file 128_0023

some will put file128.... , I said put 128.. correct?

once you do that you are set to use it as a PMP.

People say Arcosoft is not worth th trouble, and I say it is a very powerful tool.

read your comment, give the cam about 6 months time the figerprints go away LOL

One More thing. do not do a long video, do a sample of ten seconds and then when you correctly did it then work on a larger one. that is my advice to you.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:32 PM   #987

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Wayne, Sorry to hear the troubles, now only if you had that cam, then you have proof? least of worries, as long as you are fine all that matters.......

Playsport:

Does not have controls to raise/lower any video or still

For the ZI8 in this topic:

Tthere are again no controls, and less the filter of H20

so it is sad.
You mean not even the EV control on most ambarella cameras, what were they thinking. Most of these cameras are far to lite on features anyway, you think they could have an advanced settings and just stick some extras into there. I would like to see session, and permanent settings for shutter, gain, focus and iris (if it had iris), to lock them down at values, at least Aiptek got it right with the lock button). I would also like to see mosaic effect and large pixels (mosaic with luminescence encoded at higher bit rate). The sort of menu feature set the Samsung U10 has, they should all have under the dumbed down menu. If the U10 had the quality of image the micron has, and 24mb/s encoder (not to mention 60p fullhd) I would buy it today.

I am wanting to get a camera to do short amateur films on and start a thread on it at the forums for others to learn (sort of amateur/novice club sort of thing, I hope to get the scarlet for more serious work).

Once Kodak gets out of the film business, they could make a lot of money with a cheap digital cinema camera/digital stills camera for $2000. 4/3rds maybe (that can be adapted to take 2/3rds as well, or s35. People in these forums would be lining up for them. Most name brand players give mediocre so they can charge a lot more for high end stuff, just look at what we got around here compared to what we used to get. But for a true, pure, competitor, there is no big profit competing in a crowded over priced mid range market with name brand players, compared to releasing a cheaper truer priced, truer quality competitor that many times more people can buy. Even at the low end of the market, at the rate they have been improving, we might see enough improvement in coming years, to match the current HX5 or HD2000a in quality and sophistication (with an dumbed down easy mode). This would be an acceptable level of basic consumer quality (though the top quality mode should be a minimum of 24mb/s and more above fullhdp30). Sony and the rest should be advancing past this level, far past it. I wait with baited breath.

Quote:
The macro lens can always be added, the washer must be seliconed with aquarium glue not any other glue, reason it is a waterproof cam, the imitation glue will just fall off.
Thanks. Still, if I buy a sound recorder to use a microphone, then that will cost a lot and I have to hit two records each time.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:28 PM   #988

Default How to improve the zi8.

I humbly submit these suggestions for the future model for Kodak. Please feel free to comment or suggest more:

Water proofing (seriously, why does the top model not have water proofing). With encrypted radio Mic.

Macro and wide angle lens on all models (or at least a mount on the camera). The lens could be molded side by side and rotated, or slid, across the sensor to select.

Better lowlight/noise, more latitude, better rolling shutter.

3D (24mbs+).

FULLHD 60 and 50p.

Super HD resolution sensor (for photos, proper pixel binning for low light and noise, and interpolation to fullHD and 720p), bigger than 1/2.3 of an inch.

High speed shooting modes (even FULLHD/720p 100/120/240p in 24mb/s+). It would be good to have it in SHD, for preshoot buffering in stills mode, like the Casio F1 did).

Multiple channel external mic (in camera stereo at least).

Live HDMI out feed at 10bit+.

GPS tagging, with focus/iris lens in the top model.

If the top end model had all these features, looked like a digital still camera, had performance within reach of the HX5/HD2000 and cost $299US, I would not mind .

The following could be added as a firmware upgrade to the existing zi8 camera as well:

The normal 25 and 50 frame a second modes that non NTSC countries use (many countries out side of the US and Japan). The picture would display better on PAL TVs, and it helps with better quality at lower data rates.

More advanced options: EV control and an advanced settings menu for shutter, gain, focus and iris (if it has iris and focus in future), to lock them down at values. Mosaic effect and mosaic + luminance large pixel effect (4:4:4, 960*540). A more advanced menu feature set, like the Samsung U10 has, apart from the normal easy mode.

One touch auto exposure lock, and manual override.

The rolling shutter and latitude techniques of the Aptina sensors.

Altogether, the zi8 is a beautiful camera for the low end already. Thank you Kodak.

Last edited by Wayne12; Jun 4, 2010 at 9:41 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:41 PM   #989

Forgot: Multiple channel external mic (in camera stereo at least).

Live HDMI out feed at 10bit+.

Have updated the list.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:59 PM   #990

Hm, Fishy, on the basis that my HSHD might be a dumbed down version of the zx1, how do you geting into the firmware/settings menu of the zx1?