Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 24, 2009, 3:53 PM   #11

not I you have those members to truely thank, the clips I found interesting and are a few.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollity View Post
i don't care about 1080.
i care much about 720 60fps and good still photos.
i will do some search about dxg and rca to see if the specifications is suitable for me.
Is there any reason for preferring 720p60 over FullHDp60, as FULLHD TV's are now taking over the market?.

Well, there is still good news, these sort of models usually offer higher data rate 720p60 modes for one to three grades better quality (then the old 6-9mb/s 720p60 modes).

So far, Kodak will probably win hands down with high data rate, Samsung come second (though the information on data rate is conflicting, I would have imagines it would be just as capable as the Kodak, but apparently it may not), and JVC, but the Kodak is said to have 1.6mpixel sensor, so 1080 modes not so good, and the others have higher res stills.

However, the issue of the resolution on the Kodak sensor, I would like to have heard it from Kodak themselves, from somebody there that knows in the technical market. I don't think they intend to advertise one things and deliver another.

On the issue of data rate of the Kodak, I wonder if anybody can confirm them? I did my figures on the clips from steve's official review, but if those went through an editing package they could have be re-rendered at a higher data rate.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 1:38 AM   #13

I have noticed something strange. The U10 videos so far are measuring around 3mbyte/s (24mb/s), the daytime shots from the Kodak steves review are also round 3MB/s, but none of the night samples from the thread seem to be this high, only up around 2MB/s.

As I suggested somewhere editing software could be rendering to a different format, or maybe night time footage is using a lower compression rate due to blacks and noise reduction? Which ever is the case, will decide on who is doing better.

Fishy, what have you discovered in the raw uncompressed file data rates?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:23 PM   #14

On the road shot there is far too much rolling shutter in the sensor, picture washout and far too much audio distortion. The time laps video strobes, probably from fluorescents so has to be compared to outside and other steady light sources to determine if flickering lights or strobing in the sensor. I got a bit of the low light in, and from the time-laps and the low light shots inside the shop, I think too much noise.

The sensor might be a couple of grades less than what I was expecting from the previous publicity shots and makes the Kodak look good (Kodak a/b consumer picture quality (excluding resolution) and this one lower (excluding resolution). Still need to review some more footage.

The Kodak now looks a lot closer, I hope the RCA, DXG and new Kodak can do better than the Samsung.

So, it is worth getting a confirmation on the actual sensor in the Kodak from a Kodak employee that can find out knows (technical employee), and finding a review that has resolution chart (maybe steve's did one).

Last edited by Wayne12; Oct 26, 2009 at 7:07 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 7:10 PM   #15

Removed latitude comment, did a blowup of the time-laps windows and realizes that the posters are the causing the white bits. Thought it was strange before, as had expected the resolution and shutter possibilities of time-laps to have extended latitude and lowered noise.