Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:03 PM   #1

Default Kodak Zi6, dropped frames

Is there anyway of locking the fps to 30 or 60. I'm getting annoyed with this video camera. I took it out today. It was partly sunny and I found that the fps had dropped to 20fps shooting. Any help or hack would be appreciated. Thanks
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:54 AM   #2

I did some more experiments and found in VGA mode 640x480 the camera can keep the frame rate up at 30fps, but during the HD mode 30/60fps the actual fps while playing goes below 20fps. If Kodak can lock the fps in VGA mode, why on earth is it difficult for them to have at least 24fps for indoor mode for poorly light areas. I would like a setting where locking the fps (30fps) is available regardless of exposure loss and another where it drops to 24fps in poor lighting.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 7:35 AM   #3

i think it is you sd memory card problem.
what is your card and class ?
bollity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:41 AM   #4

It depends if you are actually talking about frame dropping, or about slow shutter speed. Many people incorrectly use the term "frame dropping" when they are actually talking about slow shutter speed.

Frame dropping causes choppy, stuttery motion, as if the video has turned into a slideshow. I had this problem with my Zi6 once, and reformatting the SD card fixed it.

Slow shutter speed causes blurred, smeary motion, and is an intentional -- although unfortunate -- part of the Zi6's design. In low lighting conditions the Zi6 switches to a slow shutter speed in order to boost sensitivity. This causes the smeary motion, and on the Zi6, slow shutter speed mode (which is programmed into the firmware) also seems to cause a yellowish tint on the video.

Unfortunately there is no fix for the slow shutter speed, other than to try increasing your lighting as much as possible. There is a "hack" to record on the Zi6 in low lighting conditions without the slow shutter speed, but it involves a special factory test mode which will erase your SD card and then only record about 30 seconds worth of video, so it is not usable in the real world.

If you want smooth video in low light, Kodak's answer is for you to upgrade to the Zi8. I have asked several times if Kodak plans to release a new firmware for the Zi6 which will fix the slow shutter speed problem, but they just keep saying that 1.11 is the latest firmware.
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:28 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies, as to the memory card, it is a A-Data 8G Class 6 card, same card I use for my Canon HF100. I have formatted with the Zi6 after purchasing the card. As for the dropped frames, Quicktime Movie player clearly indicates it floats between 18-20 fps. The image is choppy when slowly panning. I'll try to reformat and see what happens. Does anyone know If a hack is under way?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 2:19 PM   #6

Try taking some videos in bright lighting conditions -- ideally, outdoors on a sunny day. The motion should be smooth and lag-free, especially at 720P/60 fps. If you are still getting choppy or smeary motion in bright lighting, then there is some problem with the camcorder or the SD card. Try taking out the SD card and just recording on the internal memory.
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 9:46 PM   #7

I think I may have found the problem. My G5 may not be up to snuff playing the 720p files. I am currently using a Dual 2 Ghz Power PC G5 with 2Gigs of ram. I converted the file to divx and plays much smoother.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:25 AM   #8

i think your pc can play 720 smoothly with the right player.
i use k-lite codec pack with media plaer classic and i do as in this pic to play MOV files more smootly :

bollity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:16 PM   #9

Thanks for your input. From the looks of your posted pic, you are using a PC. Is there a Mac equivalent?
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:12 AM   #10

Hi garman. H.264 is more complex than MPEG4/part2 and requires lots of computer-power to play smoothly(especially in HD res). The Quicktime player is the worst in my experience cuz I'm a PC user, but I didn't know it's also lousy on a Mac. Try VLC player for Mac as it should solved ur low framerate problem.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

Does your videos play smootly on the Zi6 itself? If yes, then it's definantly an issue with either the codec, sdcard or pc/mac.

Last edited by adalfa; Nov 8, 2009 at 9:14 AM.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote