Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:44 PM   #11

In very controlled situations, such as always using a tripod, bright lighting, the subjects always within a certain distance from the lens, etc., then almost any low budget HD camcorder can deliver excellent video quality: Kodak, Flip, Samsung, Creative, etc.... In that case where you can work around the camera's lack of flexibility, you can judge your comparison on other things, such as audio quality (Kodak Zi8 with external stereo mic is unquestionably the best), features, ease of use, etc.

But if you need a more flexible, veratile camera for "on-the-go" use in unpredictable lighting and situations, then a full featured standard definition camcorder would be a better bet, unless you are willing to shell out $500+ for a "prosumer" HD camcorder. Fast motion scenes such as cycling or driving will especially make a low budget pocket type HD camcorder quickly reveal its limitations and make your video look less than professional in quality.
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:41 PM   #12

I just did that, wow.

First I had no idea about these things in person. I looked at all of them. One thing is probably decided, the larger size will not work.

I don't want to appear to be making a huge production of it. I just want ot be able to whip it out and use it. Unless it's the size of that zi8, anything else is too large. It's the size of a blackberry. I really want one hand operation and a small footprint. I thought the Aiptex was interesting, but still too bulky.

I want a camera I can carry easily. If I have it I will use it more. I also believe people would feel less threatened if something smaller was pointed at their face. Most I think would just think it was just a phone. I also like the fact there is no lcd that swings out. If I was walking through a crowd, that would make a difference.

So, that leaves the zi8, Vado, Webbie, Flip and all the rest in that space and digital cameras that do HD video.

My next question is what digital cameras produce video images even better than the Zi8 or Vado?
Jlacy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:59 PM   #13

My Answer was short, as the Kodak, may be ideal, it's a popular hybrid, at the moment. I will say stand clear of the Samsung Hmx-U10 of the ten people from Samsung I talked to, they were friendly, but the way I feel at the moment, it's a pc low budgete conomy hybrid camcorder, period. Notice how i say that, never saying not recommendated, hate , etc LOL

Aiptek action HD, A-HD+ a great cam, for blogging, etc, etc, the swival screen helps out a lot.

It seems you preferre to be behind the cam, not in front, then that will be the ZI8. ifyou want to hold out, I suggest, wait for the named Kodak zi8 comes out, when the just lazerprint a new design on the cover, and change the info by firmware. it will have a corrected model.

Kodak has made a great cam I like it, more, and more, as i use it.

LIke rgv.. and others say
Grab a clip, not one but afew, and try t oedit them if you can, then the next step is to hit the purchase button.

which would you rather have happ.
leaving behind that top $$$ or the kodak ? you may place any scenerio in
that said. enjoy.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 2:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
My Answer was short, as the Kodak, may be ideal, it's a popular hybrid, at the moment. I will say stand clear of the Samsung Hmx-U10 of the ten people from Samsung I talked to, they were friendly, but the way I feel at the moment, it's a pc low budgete conomy hybrid camcorder, period. Notice how i say that, never saying not recommendated, hate , etc LOL

Aiptek action HD, A-HD+ a great cam, for blogging, etc, etc, the swival screen helps out a lot.

It seems you preferre to be behind the cam, not in front, then that will be the ZI8. ifyou want to hold out, I suggest, wait for the named Kodak zi8 comes out, when the just lazerprint a new design on the cover, and change the info by firmware. it will have a corrected model.

Kodak has made a great cam I like it, more, and more, as i use it.

LIke rgv.. and others say
Grab a clip, not one but afew, and try t oedit them if you can, then the next step is to hit the purchase button.

which would you rather have happ.
leaving behind that top $$$ or the kodak ? you may place any scenerio in
that said. enjoy.

That is a fair assessment. I'll go buy the zi8 right now. I'll need help with firmware and camera settings when I return please.

It's taken a couple of days and I bought one that I have to return. The Insignia dcc5hb09. The video was pretty pretty bad and I always felt like I was "filming with it."
Old Nov 4, 2009, 2:33 PM   #15

If that is your decision, then you are set, I never push,I just show thefunone can have, I have yet to load firmware to the ZI8. I see no issues of mine, and hope I have no issues. once I load firmware I will notice issues LOL. the Samsung I now have issues and cannot go back to old fw LOL. but the only one to blame is myself.

It's not about Rushing, it's about quality. I am in the makes of another low video clip that i find interesting. it's already up but i thought I show those who own the samsung or looking to get or upgrade firmware to hold off not Jumping into a frying pan, best to enjoy the cam, learn it and then decisions

Like I said if you can edit a few clips, and works for you, leave tht $$$ home then you wil choose your cam.

The Igsingia, known as the jazz elite HDV series is a Awesome cam, RGV owns it I own it an I love it it's smaller and quite impressive its the near size of the DOD f200 hd I own.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:38 PM   #16

Hi Fishy,

I'm sitting here with a zi8. But...I found something else at Best Buy Samsung hmx-u10un.

I found something you didn't like about it on Vimeo. Do you still feel the same way?

Last edited by Jlacy76; Nov 4, 2009 at 5:02 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:00 PM   #17

OK, I have it flashed to 1.06. What next?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlacy76 View Post
Hi Fishy,

I'm sitting here with a zi8. But...I found something else at Best Buy Samsung hmx-u10un.

I found something you didn't like about it on Vimeo. Do you still feel the same way?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdDVoEx7kj0

Here is just a clip. of the two I own, in hand it clearly tells you which is the better one.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:34 PM   #19

OK, thanks, that settles that one.

Is EIS worth turning on?

720/60 the best settings?

I'm not seeing any icons saying EIS is on.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:46 PM   #20

Kodak will add a Check mark or X with EIS or the hand what is mentioned to the left, when you highlight over it?