Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:47 AM   #31

Good Morning,

I saw that classic car demo. I agree. zi8 is the best option here.

BTW, your lens flare question to Kodak. The correct answer is lens flare is caused by aberrations of the lens/coatings themselves. Flare is cause by light hitting the lens at odd angle. Even pro still camera lenses do this sometimes. Some lens are more prone to it than others. It's in the zi8 lens, not anything to do with the camera.

The correct term for what you see on the GVS regarding lack of shadow detail is what we call blocking the shadows. In still film we would measure with a densitometer shadow zone III of the negative to determine if we had adequate detail and that would be our baseline for exposure. Ansel Adams, Fred Picker taught me this and is the basis of the zone system. We exposed for the shadows and developed for the highlights and that became our "dynamic range". That might be more information that you wanted to know, you may already know all this, but it's here for you just in case.

Digital is along the same lines, but even the top DLSR's can't match films dynamic range. Fuji's CCD in their high end still cameras do the best job with the widest DR of all digital still cameras and best skin tone right out of the camera. I don't have a clue about Fuji video cameras, so I can't speak to that. I shoot Canon pro line still cameras but for other reasons than DR.

I played around with the acrsoft this morning and it worked well for white balance. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with this camera. Yes, we need a wide angle lens, faster focus and hold it steady but given the price it does well.

I plan to do some more extensive tests today, but so far I think it's a keeper. No camera ever made was perfect and this one is no exception. I just need to find workarounds and use it as a tool knowing it's limitations and all will be fine. That's what I think right now, I'll have more opinions later I'm sure.

Btw, here are some fuji s5 images. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=33543272

Last edited by Jlacy76; Nov 5, 2009 at 7:02 AM.
Jlacy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:27 AM   #32

when at my pc I will upload the aiptek compared if i saved, the other two kodak, and samsung.

The flare or reflection. is is fine, just hardely noticed on the sensitivity of other cams. Kodak is more sensitive.

Yes the cam is a keeper. the Samsung is as well but limitations of what happ's ifa battery runs dry. Lol the Aiptek will do fine and allow a better point-n-shoot. we have prefrences and lets hope the choices are right for one?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:42 AM   #33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR_wPdfaR34

My first zi8 video.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:46 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlacy76 View Post
WOW!
nice, never saw those type of fuji around here.
chkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:05 AM   #35

Well, not to get OT, but the S series goes back a while. I had the s1,s2 but I think only the 3 4, 5 has that super sensor. Only Fuji has that latitude you saw in those photos and neither Canon nor Nikon can deny it or match it at ANY kind of price point. Shoot raw and with the right processing it's the closest thing we have to film latitude, end of story. This is also the best portrait camera but not good for sports. All cameras have trade offs.

I don't know anything at all about video, but I do know a little about still cameras because it's my business to know. I shoot stills to eat.

Last edited by Jlacy76; Nov 5, 2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 1:08 PM   #36

Jl... excellent shot. no one's a pro here, or are we LOL. the clip is excellent, and that the video of the two are priceless.

i say all looks great, a great choice indeed.

Did you, and you said you updated Firmware from X.XX to 1.06 what was , if remembered the old firmware.
the clips I will be loading up of the Z and aiptek.

I understand that you looked at the Samsung, I would say just for it's time lapse , correct?
Old Nov 5, 2009, 1:48 PM   #37

LOL, yes we all know everything expect me.

I have a an action Hd in front of me and the zi8. I decided to try both and take one back.

Yes, I have the 1.06 FW are the zi8.

I loved the Sammy for it's looks. Cool looking, Ipod like. That's as far as I got.

I'm also thinking about trying something larger now like the 595v.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 1:55 PM   #38

as promised:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlRA2cvUP6k
you'll enjoy the low level of a Aiptek a-HD+ 1440x1080 compared to the kodak.

the A hd series Jlacy76, is quite impressive, if Aipte continued to correct, the firmware, I load it up in a heartbeat, and continue my fu.

Reason why I love the AHD series.
and cannot kick myself in the rear.

I was in concord ma. went down the river canoeing, I had the action hd GVS, wrong camcorder. the AHD was on my return trip, but I never gotten back when my tour was cut short.

The AHD films a wider angle, and with the barrel a wide angle added, puts the finishing touchs , of the cam. If you look at this clip or not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlRA2cvUP6k
that was made with the A HD the 720P version, and the Jazz elite hdv 178. as one asked about, and returned acam.

its all about having

So I hope FUN. And made one a fdamily member of ___________ camcorders. whatever one you choose.

thank you

Added note Great to hear of the fw 1.06, the action HD, or the GVS theres a difference, eitherone it's a auto foucs careful not to drop,
Old Nov 5, 2009, 2:41 PM   #39

Well, Action hd goes back. IQ is better on zi8. There is more DR on the zi8 even without exposure compensation of the A hd. The ev settings have no effect on blowing out whites.

I could bring up the shadows in post, what I can't do is recover lost highlights. The Ahd blows them out worse than the zi8.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 4:45 PM   #40

Is ti just my imagination or is there nothing under 300.00 out there as good IQ wise and the zi8? What if I went 350.00?