Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:02 PM   #41

Ok, what about used for 300 or so? Ebay etc. Now what can I get?
Jlacy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:04 PM   #42

well what about me cashing in on most me cams in hand (avatar)
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:12 PM   #43

I'm open to that, PM me.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:15 PM   #44

LOL, check this out.

This camcorder is ranked
Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:23 PM   #45

O.T. thought I update my avatar, I just need it a tad bigger LOL

7 cams in hand
jut about all the cams we talked about in this topic

Aiptek action HD GVS
aiptek a-Hd
aiptek a hd+
kodak zi8
samsung hmx-u10
dodf200hd
jazz elite hdv 178

that's about all I can get in one hand holdingsteady LOL I have a few more to place

action hd
sanyo xacti hd700
musteksdv3000
mustek dv4500
aiptek mpvr

think I will stop there LOL.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 10:40 AM   #46

http://guidewired.wordpress.com/2009...ro-attachment/

Pretty cool, they have a fisheye too.

Last edited by Jlacy76; Nov 6, 2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:13 PM   #47

so we wonder if the magnet caused issues?

I painthtat washer black.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 2:37 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlacy76 View Post
Thanks RV. I read that thread for the DXG 595V or maybe it was the 596 and I believe it was Wayne who said the DXG data rate was too low.
Hi Jlacy

I forget what I have said. On most older cheap cameras the 720p30 and 720p60 data rates are too low, some of the older ones the data rate of 1080p starts getting ok.

The DXG595v we think is the same as the 596, but as we don't know, we don't know if it is same data rate. People think that this is one of the best old cameras with one of the better 1080p data rate, but 720p data rates are still likely to be low.

Of the old cameras the Kodak zi6 has one of the better 720p data rates. I think there was one other camera that also had higher than normal 720p rate, but I do not remember.

Of he new cameras, there is much more to choose from:

Aiptek z700 extreme and DXG a80 are unknown.

JVC FM1 is nice but I do not know how it compares to Kodak (go to Fishy's review of the Samsung U10 for a quick comparison), and I think it has data rate around DXG which is lower than the other newer cameras here(but the camera is small). I have only played with this in store, but the only thing I have found so far that I do not like, is the control pad play in switching modes.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hy...ml#post1017411

Kodak and Samsung both seem to have high data rate (but more testing needed on editor output). Samsung has more features and Kodak may have sub fullHD sensor. As for quality, Fishy would know about Kodak in comparison, but I do not like the quality of the Samsung.

RCA has a 1080p camera out this month. I suspect the newer Kodak to come out next year might be similarly capable.

Last edited by Wayne12; Nov 7, 2009 at 2:48 AM.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2009, 8:47 AM   #49

Hi Wayne,

I can't find the dxg to even test but even if I did, I doubt it would compete with what I think I might do.

True, I know nothing about video but I have learned a little.

It comes down to this for me. zi8 best in class for P&S. It does not have two things I actually need, which is O.I.S. and Optical zoom. We can try to get close with these pocket cameras, but the fact is, we need to spend $400-$500 to get something that functions is a variety of situations. We loose "some" portability, but we gain flexibility.

Some of the small camcorders are only about the size of a Coke can. That's not too far of from DXG or even the Aipetk for that matter and let's face it, the Zi8 is a camera that most people should have in their phone anyway.

I've been reading and asking questions on several forums in the last few days. I still don't know much, but it seems pretty clear the Canon hf 100 if a fine camcorder and at a reasonable price and particularly when buying used. Yes it's 2x the price of these 179.00 models, but you get much higher quality images.

The problem I see with these pocket cameras are no IS that actually works. As these are made to be handheld, this makes no sense to me. Frankly an hf 100 and zi8 side by side on a tripod, I think you would have to look pretty hard to to find any difference. As both are designed for being hand held, the zi8 falls short.

The optical zoom on these small cameras are pretty useless. It's really no better than a camera phone. After using the zi8 for a few days, I see it as a camera phone upgrade and little else.

Still pocket cameras are getting pretty close to the zi8 with IS that actually works and great lenses. Check out the Panasonic ZS-3. It does 720/30p but plays back at 60p. It's 100.00 more than the zi8 at costco and is small.

I'm still looking, deciding. The zi8 is great on a tripod but it's a fixed focal length camera at that.

Here's the thing I noticed and has been confirmed when I asked on other forums. The Dynamic range of Video cameras is not as great as still cameras today. The zi8 is better than the Aiptek I tested but not as good as many digital still cameras.

If the pocket cameras ever did 1080/60 and a workable IS, the Zi8 would be a non factor. I'd take 720/60 plus IS or 1080i/60 if was available in a pocket camera.

The zi8 fits a need right now for people and I can see why. I'm just not convinced it's the right fit for me.

Last edited by Jlacy76; Nov 7, 2009 at 8:50 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:56 AM   #50

Quote:
The optical zoom on these small cameras are pretty useless. It's really no better than a camera phone. After using the zi8 for a few days, I see it as a camera phone upgrade and little else.
I am assuming that you meant digital zoom which is what the Kodak has, since the others such as the Aiptek GVS and DXG 595 have optical zooms which are quite useable.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote