Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:37 AM   #71

I'm pretty satisfied with my Kodak Zi8s.

I just bought two (2) of them and I now have two (2) 8gb memory cards to go with them. I plan to use them both and record about two (2) hours of video in 720p format this afternoon.

The external microphone input recordings are a little noisy, but not out of line for a camcorder that costs less than $200. I'm using a Rode VideoMic and an Audio-Technica AT835b... both are shotgun mics. XLR Adapters from www.studio1productions.com. Beachtek.com is also good for adapters.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:04 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Idaho View Post
I'm pretty satisfied with my Kodak Zi8s.

I just bought two (2) of them and I now have two (2) 8gb memory cards to go with them. I plan to use them both and record about two (2) hours of video in 720p format this afternoon.

The external microphone input recordings are a little noisy, but not out of line for a camcorder that costs less than $200. I'm using a Rode VideoMic and an Audio-Technica AT835b... both are shotgun mics. XLR Adapters from www.studio1productions.com. Beachtek.com is also good for adapters.
you're planning on filming 2 hours with Both cards or per card?

a 8 gb card in hd720P is larger then Hd1080p, and will give about

62 minutes of hd720P , correct.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 2:55 PM   #73

Fishy,

I'm just going by what Kodak says at the bottom of this page:

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...ctID.156585800

The 720p at 30 frames per second setting should allow for twenty (20) minutes per gigabyte. So 20 x 8 = 160 minutes, right? That's more than two hours per card, if Kodak is correct.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:15 PM   #74

I just ask I own the cam as well and wanted to verify, if one's info was incorrect?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:47 PM   #75

Well, we did the two-camera shoot this afternoon and it was a success. I didn't have to record two (2) hours, however. Instead, our recording sessions lasted just over one (1) hour. There was plenty of space remaining on the memory cards.

The audio is slightly noisy compared to what one might get with a typical AVCHD camcorder, but -- considering each Zi8's relative price -- I got audio that was plenty good enough for our application. And it's far LESS noisy than my two Sanyo VPC-CG6s. So I'm pretty happy with my Kodak Zi8s.

I like the .MOV format, too. In fact, it's far easier for me to use the .MOV format than it is to use the AVCHD .M2TS format files.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 3:09 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Idaho View Post
Well, we did the two-camera shoot this afternoon and it was a success. I didn't have to record two (2) hours, however. Instead, our recording sessions lasted just over one (1) hour. There was plenty of space remaining on the memory cards.

The audio is slightly noisy compared to what one might get with a typical AVCHD camcorder, but -- considering each Zi8's relative price -- I got audio that was plenty good enough for our application. And it's far LESS noisy than my two Sanyo VPC-CG6s. So I'm pretty happy with my Kodak Zi8s.

I like the .MOV format, too. In fact, it's far easier for me to use the .MOV format than it is to use the AVCHD .M2TS format files.
a vide will be mnmade to clearify what 8gb would actually beof the cam
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:39 PM   #77

Just got my Zi8. I have the DXG 595V with the updated firmware and high bitrates. Here's my take:

The Zi8 outperforms the DXG by a significant margin. The colors are better saturated and more natural. In 1080p mode, the picture is significantly sharper. EIS in 1080p mode works very well and it's nice to be able to capture in this mode without a tripod. When it comes to low light, there is no contest. The Zi8 produces usable images where the DXG produces an out-of-focus blur.

The DXG has a very useful zoom lens which is significantly better than the digital zoom of the Zi8. But in every other respect, the Zi8 sets the pace.

Brian
brians238 is offline   Reply With Quote