Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 4, 2009, 9:56 PM   #1

Default Wide angle converters. Warning!

Hey guys I bought a magnetic mount wide angle lens converter. Gave it shot today it seemed quite nice. Then I tried to record, to my surprise the unit (Kodak Zi6) locked up during 10 seconds of recording and again it locked after 3 seconds of recording. This problem was a constant. I resest the unit removed batteries still it locks. Fearing that the cam was gone for good. I decided to remove the batteries and let it sit for a couple of hours. I than placed the batteries back and viola! it's working (no wide angle mounted). I came to the conclusion the magnet played havoc with the camera's circuits and caused all this hell. I'm not ready to try the wide angle convertor again, until much later. Has anyone tried what I've done. I would like to know if it's fine with you. Here is a link to the wide angle lens I was discussing. Thanks

http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/...angle-lens.jpg

Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 5, 2009 at 3:48 AM.
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:01 PM   #2

Disregard my theory. Crashed again. Decided to record after 1 minute. Failure. Time to return it
Old Nov 5, 2009, 12:05 AM   #3

Have you tried reflashing the Zi6's firmware? You can download version 1.11 from the Kodak web site, and they have instructions on how to install it. Just make sure your SD card was not corrupted, first (try reformatting it).
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 12:55 AM   #4

I'm about to try the firmware flash. I already have the latest FW. I'm almost certain it's a overheating issue. As a test I let it sit for 30mins and start recording. On a clod start, I am able to record 5 mins of video. Stopped the recording and started right away. I get 1 second in and it freezes. Remove battery and try recording. I get 3 seconds before the big lock up. What I did do was feel the front of the body. Warm feel to it. Don't know if that's normal. I'll post again after the firmware update.

Update
I just finished with the update again (fw1.11) 5 minutes of recording. Stopped and restarted camera and recorded. Soon as I press record it hangs. Remove battery.
This puppy's going back. May get a refund. But I do like this camera, it's simple and small.

Last edited by garman; Nov 5, 2009 at 1:09 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:45 PM   #5

May it be that the magnet messes up the ion flow direction inside the Li-Ion battery pack and thus causes overheating? Yes it sounds strange, but ask search engine about "MHD generator" to see what I mean.

But when it happens immediately, the magnet may also simply disturb a focussing or zoom mechanism by blocking a solenoid (electric magnet coil) that moves the lens. So the camera waits forever that a moving part reaches an end switch, because the magnet is stronger than the coil that should move it. Its basically the same like with windup wristwatches those stop working when magnetized.

I am generally angry about nowadays mindless placement of strong magnets (also see my Aiptek T100LE thread) those can erase data media and be hazardous to health.
MAY THE SOFTWARE BE WITH YOU! *============================================================================* I CYBERYOGI Christian Oliver(=CO=) Windler I I (teachmaster of LOGOLOGIE - the first cyberage-religion!) I I ! I *=============================ABANDON=THE=BRUTALITY==========================* {http://weltenschule.de/e_index.html}
CYBERYOGI =CO= Windler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 6:06 PM   #6

These things are flaky. I returned my first unit because it was locking up when recording. Now the second one stops recording while recording. The only time I seem to get stability with this camcorder is when I shoot in VGA mode 640x480. One thing I noticed on power up and press record I get a memory card warning after 3 seconds it stops recording, then when I press record It starts to capture video, sometimes 5 mins or longer. Really preplex. Maybe it requires Sandisk Class 6 card, but I don't think it's my memory card, it works quite well on my canon hf100. I use "A-Data" class 6 card. I'm off to return another unit and hopefully find one that actually works.
Kokak fix your QC! From my perspective it sucks! Now I have spend time and gas to get another unit.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 6:27 PM   #7

I find it best to format the sd card in a different cam, the pc and the cam itself. I had the 16 gbcard turn on 9 secs. wya to long, a hidden file was on there andonce cleared 3-4 sec start up 16 gb card.

I just ordered my wide angles, so I hope this was a fluke. another member shws a excellent review, and that I hope works well.

again reformat thecard not once. but a good ffew times.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
I find it best to format the sd card in a different cam, the pc and the cam itself. I had the 16 gbcard turn on 9 secs. wya to long, a hidden file was on there andonce cleared 3-4 sec start up 16 gb card.

I just ordered my wide angles, so I hope this was a fluke. another member shws a excellent review, and that I hope works well.

again reformat thecard not once. but a good ffew times.
Thanks, but I have formatted 2 cards. I used my Mac, S3IS, Canon HF100 and a PC. What strikes me as a oddity. If the card is empty (no files) It seems to record fine after 30 mins of recorded data, but after it becomes a train wreck. Maybe a compatibility problem?