Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:34 PM   #1

Default At the end of my rope.. the search for a ~300 gbp good hybrid

Hi,

So I've literally spent now 2 weeks looking for a good hybrid during all my free time. I'm exhausted, and frustrated. I've downloaded hundreds of vimeo quicktime source file. I've read endless reviews. This is what I came up with in my search for small, good quality hybrid.

- The ZI8 is the 'best' portable video recording device ATM, when it comes to size only. Unfortunately no flash means it's not so much of an hybrid but more of a camcorder. Webbie, Flip and Vado all have that problem and even worse video quality.
- The lumiz ZS3/TZ7 is the 'best' compaq camera when it comes to video recording. At least that's what I'm told, because the stuff on vimeo is far inferior to the Zi8 output, which wasn't exactly stellar to start with. WB550? terrible video. SX200? nope. H20? Ditto

Is there a consensus in the 300 quid range? The CG10 perhaps? Looks to me as if there were a million device below 200 and above 700, and nothing in between. The lumix LX3 might be the exception, but the video output on that is worse than the TZ7.

Any help would be appreciated
cigaro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:59 PM   #2

The Panny ZS3 video quality leaves the CG10 for dead. I just sent back a CG10. You will need to acquire a toolchain to use the ZS3 AVCHD-lite video, VLC is a good free viewer, and ffdsource will faithfully decode the video. To get precise 30p accuracy, however, will take something like AVIsynth:
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic372515.html

The ZS3 is a stalwart of my video toolkit, which also includes several Canon HF100 24p camcorders (another superb device, but needing a 60i->24p conversion process).

At the low-cost end, I rather like my DOD F200HD, but getting it from Hong Kong or Ebay is a bit of a pain... Nevertheless, the clarity is exceptional... No stabilization, but you can do that with Virtualdub and Deshaker.

So, I guess a summary of all the above is that you, too, can put up useless crummy looking videos on YouTube and Vimeo regardless of what camera you have. You need both a good camera, and the understanding of the video signal chain to produce really top-notch video.
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 2:12 PM   #3

Cam.Cor.Der. Interpolated Still of unknown resolutions size Kodak Zi8

No words All I can say for now on a camcorders point of view, thank you
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 2:12 PM   #4

I have the ZS3 since last week, before that I tried 1 noname guncamcorder, 1 noname phonecamcorder and the sanyo cg10 and the sanyo fh1 (and I think 1 or 2 others).

I returned everything, I like being able to test and return my stuff without fee.

What can I say, damn I like the optical stabilization(still & video) of the ZS3 and the zoom and the still quality and the video quality, the sound is nice too.

The only problem would be the fact that it does only 30 frame per second, not 60.

I think I wont return this one! (I still have about 7 days to decide )

Last edited by Spirch; Nov 9, 2009 at 2:20 PM.
Spirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:14 PM   #5

You might try looking at the dull, lifeless images that come out of a ZS3 at this URL:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=33601346
(click on the images to expand them)

Personally, I am very happy with my ZS3, especially that it can record high quality video nonstop for 90 minutes... (until the battery runs flat).
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:58 AM   #6

Thanks guys - I'm going to buy a ZS3 based on your comments... very useful indeed!

Cheers!!!
cigaro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:23 PM   #7

Set up Low Light scene mode on one of your dial positions. It is useful to take really low light videos. Most of the time just use a standard (custom) setting of ISOmax=800, iISO=ON, Histogram ON, EV=-0.3 to -0.7 to get really good videos... Many of the still-photo settings work also in Video mode...
Old Nov 16, 2009, 8:19 AM   #8

At last,

Fishy, for the last 4-7 days I could not download pages from the forums, they would be unfound or stall after a few kilobytes.

Sanyo have newer HD2000a model on the international market, and FH1a. I understand that the older non A models had a few things, and hopefully these models will be roe advanced. You will probably not find a Hybrid to be had for under 300 pounds as good as these, but if you like the limitations of the zi9, maybe it is worth looking at.

There is this camera, the a80, but expensive and unknown quality (hopefully better than Samsung u10), and better than Kodak zi8 (but I suspect simular to u10).

Interlace requires more data rate, which is one reason it is regarded as above 30 progressive frame a second. 50 progressive frames a second is what is needed (but usually American 60p).
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hy...e-mp3-digicams
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post
At last,

Fishy, for the last 4-7 days I could not download pages from the forums, they would be unfound or stall after a few kilobytes.

Sanyo have newer HD2000a model on the international market, and FH1a. I understand that the older non A models had a few things, and hopefully these models will be roe advanced. You will probably not find a Hybrid to be had for under 300 pounds as good as these, but if you like the limitations of the zi9, maybe it is worth looking at.

There is this camera, the a80, but expensive and unknown quality (hopefully better than Samsung u10), and better than Kodak zi8 (but I suspect simular to u10).

Interlace requires more data rate, which is one reason it is regarded as above 30 progressive frame a second. 50 progressive frames a second is what is needed (but usually American 60p).
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hy...e-mp3-digicams

Site was shut down for unknown reasons. normally they come foward with a Announcement on all threads, this time nothing, they were again down today in the early hours. so I wonder if backup was running. why at the top steves corner they slacked off, busy making $$$ oftware updates, attacks etc, etc. now we are up again lets move foward. LOL
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote