Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:41 AM   #11

Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus can't play the 1080 clip smoothly either. At least not here. I'll try Windows Movie Maker next.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:42 AM   #12

No... I'm running Windows XP Pro and I have Windows Movie Maker version 5.1 and it won't even read the file.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:50 AM   #13

My Quicktime player plays it smoothly, which is not terribly surprising. My Mac plays it smoothly in Apple iMovie '09.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 1:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Idaho View Post
You're right.

I just tried a 1080 clip from my Kodak Zi8 and -- sure enough -- the playback in Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus is jerky. This does *not* happen with my 720p clips. Very strange. It must be a program defect in Magix.

I'll try Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus next.
the GVS 720p are great, 1080P will stutter
Kodak 720p is good, 1080P crashs after XX files loaded, Samsung HMXU10 watch out.

so tis the bitrate taht kills me on my hp11070N
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus can't play the 1080 clip smoothly either. At least not here. I'll try Windows Movie Maker next.
Yes I had also tried the latest Ulead trial and found the same. It seems they are not optimizing them yet for 1080p.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:27 PM   #16

Quote:
No... I'm running Windows XP Pro and I have Windows Movie Maker version 5.1 and it won't even read the file.
Only the new Windows Live Movie Maker has the ability to handle h264 encoded video and sadly this is not available for Windows XP users, only Vista and Windows 7.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:54 PM   #17

Not a problem for me; I've switched to the Mac here.

Still have Windows XP PCs, but now that I've switched to the Mac, I've decided I like the Apple operating system and the Apple media programs best. Not everybody will agree, but that's my conclusion. I tested a VISTA computer and I've also trialed Windows 7. They're improvements in many ways, but the Mac's strengths really match up well with my individual needs so I plan to stick with the Mac for future upgrades.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 3:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Not a problem for me; I've switched to the Mac here.

Still have Windows XP PCs, but now that I've switched to the Mac, I've decided I like the Apple operating system and the Apple media programs best. Not everybody will agree, but that's my conclusion. I tested a VISTA computer and I've also trialed Windows 7. They're improvements in many ways, but the Mac's strengths really match up well with my individual needs so I plan to stick with the Mac for future upgrades.
Nothing wrong with using what works best for you
Old Nov 19, 2009, 2:36 PM   #19

Even though my Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus doesn't play the 1080p clips smoothly, I still prefer it to CyberLink's software mainly because of the superior Magix audio functionality.

I wonder if the brand new version 1.5 of Magix "Video Pro X" would play the 1080p clips smoothly. ?

http://www.magix.com/us/video-pro-x/

I'm tempted to buy it. $299 isn't a bad price for a pro editor.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:31 AM   #20

Well I guess you could trial it. The price is a little rich for a mere 'occasional' hobbiest like me and for that price I would tend to be more picky of their flaws that I am with the regular Magix movie editor

I guess I'll just have to convert my clips beforehand to a more easily digestible format for editing. At the moment I don't actually need 1080P output.

It seems 720p/30fps is the sweet spot among consumer editors at the moment. Generally 720p is more than enough for me anyway but sometimes it's nice to have a 1080P master for some subjects.

I may buy the Magix Movie Edit 15 upgrade later simply because it seems to have better Windows 7 compatibility. I noticed the installation struggled on 14 under Windows 7 and it seems Magix 15 is the version officially supported as being Windows 7 compatible.