Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:37 PM   #1

Default Magix Movie vs Powerdirector

I am looking for a replacement for Magix Movie 14 edit since it doesn't seem to handle either my Sanyo HD1010 or Aiptek GVS files very well in the preview window. The preview has stuttering or jerking playback even on the lowest resolution.

I tried version 15 and it doesn't seem that much better although I noticed it now asks you if you want to convert the mp4 file to an internal format whereupon it will play smoothly. It doesn't seem to do this for the Aiptek GVS files, probably because it uses the Quicktime engine. I know that Magix admitted to me that the mp4 import was buggy though I don't know if they altered this in 15.

I tried the latest Video Studio X2 Pro from Ulead and it seemed to have similar problems and finally I tried Cyberlink Powerdirector 8. I am amazed in that it not only plays both files smoothly in preview but it will even do the transitions in preview smoothly too! It's buttery smooth compared to Magix Movie. So I will play around with it a bit longer to make sure that it doesn't have any surprises. It doesn't seem as intuitive as Magix but if it has the same features I'll put up with any minor idiosyncrasies as long as it allows preview of edited video without any stutters.

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 as well and the native Movie Maker, which is part of the free Windows Live downloads, as well as Windows Media Player will now handle h264 files as well. Having said that, while the Aiptek GVS files play fine in the Media Player, Movie Maker doesn't display any video when imported even though it supports the mov extension. It handles the Sanyo HD1010 MP4 files though.

The preview in Windows Movie maker is buttery smooth like powerdirector so I don't know why Magix Movie has trouble even on the lower resolution settings.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2009, 4:04 AM   #2

I have Pd 8 U and i did not like the save features. looks good and have to agree magix is a great program but not ment for slower pcs.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:23 AM   #3

in ulead you can use proxy feature to deal with hd videos.
in sony vegas use "render in ram" shift+b on the region you want to preview.
this can help a little in your situation.
hd video editing needs a very fast computer.
bollity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 9:09 AM   #4

This has nothing to do with my PC being slow. I have a Quad Core and can playback quite high bitrates. Magix movie should be able to handle the preview, but I notice that it doesn't seem to be using enough percentage of my CPU for some reason whereas Power Director does. Power director and Windows movie maker play the unconverted video in preview mode very smoothly. It's a pity that Magix Movie doesn't offer the conversion for mov files. It does for mp4. At least I didn't see any option to force the conversion to an internal .HDP file.

Fishycomics, when you say you didn't like the save features of Powerdirector, what did you mean?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 2:14 PM   #5

the file save it rendered in high med low quality
it as well saved diferent formats avhd mts file quicktime I only got as high as 640x480 something liek tht.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:53 PM   #6

I'm running Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus on two (2) Windows XP computers with absolutely no problems with preview window playback.

And my "slow" computer is truly slow! It's just a laptop with an AMD Athlon 64 chip running at 2.4 Ghz and 1.5 GB of memory!

For me, Magix handles every .MOV file I've thrown at it...

...from Kodak's Zi8...
...to Aiptek's Action HD...
...to Sanyo's VPC-CG6...

...they all work fine here.

I haven't tried PowerDirector from CyberLink, but it looks like a pretty nice program.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Idaho View Post
I'm running Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus on two (2) Windows XP computers with absolutely no problems with preview window playback.

And my "slow" computer is truly slow! It's just a laptop with an AMD Athlon 64 chip running at 2.4 Ghz and 1.5 GB of memory!

For me, Magix handles every .MOV file I've thrown at it...

...from Kodak's Zi8...
...to Aiptek's Action HD...
...to Sanyo's VPC-CG6...

...they all work fine here.

I haven't tried PowerDirector from CyberLink, but it looks like a pretty nice program.
Well I have no problem with Standard Definition video and I think it handles 720p/30fps video ok but it's anything higher than that. ie from my HD1010 and the Aiptek GVS.

Now is that Action HD, the original Aiptek Action HD and not the GVS right that you have? I think I have some clips from that model and I can't remember if it played them ok or not now, so will try them again tonight.

I don't think it has anything to do with the speed of the system. I just think it's the way Magix Movie handles the video. Everything else seems to play them buttery smooth.

It does seem that even though camcorders may share a common format ie MOV or MP4 doesn't mean they will both play the same I have found.

Like I say it's a pity Magix 15 doesn't auto convert mov files as well. It seemed to convert the mp4 files to its internal editing format reasonable quickly on my pc. Magix is cheaper than cyberlink and I prefer it's interface.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:18 PM   #8

If you're trying to play 1080 files, then it may be possible that one would need a video display adapter with hardware acceleration of H.264. Maybe. I stick with 720p clips. I'll try some 1080p clips. My display adapter is a Radeon HD2400 Pro.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:28 PM   #9

I actually have an adaptor that does have h264 hardware acceleration (It's a Radeon 4550) but Magix doesn't support that type of acceleration. In fact I don't think any of the current video editors do, at least consumer level. Anyway I shouldn't need it as cyberlink previews them fine as does the latest Windows Movie maker.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:37 PM   #10

You're right.

I just tried a 1080 clip from my Kodak Zi8 and -- sure enough -- the playback in Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus is jerky. This does *not* happen with my 720p clips. Very strange. It must be a program defect in Magix.

I'll try Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus next.