Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 18, 2009, 3:56 PM   #1

Default Kodak Zi8: HDMI OUTPUT?

Does anybody know if it's possible to monitor audio while recording with the Zi8? I was noticing there's an "A/V" out port and there's an HDMI out port. Would it be possible to connect headphones to either of these and listen during recording?
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:14 PM   #2

I looked; while the idea of "HDMI headphones" sounds good, it seems none exist... yet. So perhaps I can just use the A/V out and get an adapter to make the cable mate with a headphone cable. I'll try it when I get time.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:15 PM   #3

If the cam is plugged in to the HDMI, or tv playback, you are able to playback the video's with video, and audio Mono sound, no sterio plug of red given, Poor set up if asked.
ANd if plugged in to HDMI , it gets me thinking if the tv playback is a incorrect plug set up, what would be the chances of this as well in Hdmi 50/50.
So it gets me wondering if the sound is a sterio output LOL.

Now, If you Just plug in your cam to the Tv, knowing you are not at it ((LOL))

you can record live but not get sound if in one of the plugs tv playback, or Hdmi.
your Question will be if both are plugged in. I think not because if one is plugged it it answers the question. no.

I hope I am wrong, but prove me wrong, thanks
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:18 PM   #4

You are on the right track, but will need to adapt a plug to the External mic port, and run a wire you may bypas with a jack and that is how you will gain sound

(( Idea, no icon for tht dam)
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:18 PM   #5

Oh and hope that helpped ya
Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:03 PM   #6

Default Hdmi

"If the cam is plugged in to the HDMI, or tv playback, you are able to playback the video's with video, and audio Mono sound, no sterio plug of red given, Poor set up if asked."

I put this in Google translate to make sure I understood what you are saying. And I do not think what you are saying is correct or helpful.

If the video shot on the zi8 has stereo sound, because you used a stereo mic when you recorded, then the HDMI cable with no other plug needed passes the digital video and the digital stereo together from the zi8. Any device that has stereo speakers and a screen and an HDMI input will play the video with the stereo sound hooked up to the zi8 that way. This is standard for HDMI cables - audio plus video, in fact, for the highest resolution digital audio HDMI is the only way to pass the audio signal, as it has higher bandwidth than spdif. Your comment makes no sense, even translated. The *analog* audio/video cable has a video plug and only one audio plug. Nothing to do with HDMI. And no one who takes HD video should be hooking up with the analog video cable.

But perhaps I misunderstood. In any case this has nothing to do with monitoring audio while shooting.
markr041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
"If the cam is plugged in to the HDMI, or tv playback, you are able to playback the video's with video, and audio Mono sound, no sterio plug of red given, Poor set up if asked."

I put this in Google translate to make sure I understood what you are saying. And I do not think what you are saying is correct or helpful.

If the video shot on the zi8 has stereo sound, because you used a stereo mic when you recorded, then the HDMI cable with no other plug needed passes the digital video and the digital stereo together from the zi8. Any device that has stereo speakers and a screen and an HDMI input will play the video with the stereo sound hooked up to the zi8 that way. This is standard for HDMI cables - audio plus video, in fact, for the highest resolution digital audio HDMI is the only way to pass the audio signal, as it has higher bandwidth than spdif. Your comment makes no sense, even translated. The *analog* audio/video cable has a video plug and only one audio plug. Nothing to do with HDMI. And no one who takes HD video should be hooking up with the analog video cable.

But perhaps I misunderstood. In any case this has nothing to do with monitoring audio while shooting.
Yeah My cousans Babblefish LOL.

mark round one to you. no debate here

a video made
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf8A8lwj2xE

I may not make sense at times, and that is due to my schedule, lol

a headset, wired to a mic will give you Sound, simular t oa cellphones, so it may be posasble to Modify your own system that way. thank you..
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:12 PM   #8

good one - babelfish.

I enjoy your contributions (even the deciphering that sometimes is needed) and learn from them too.
markr041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 3:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
good one - babelfish.

I enjoy your contributions (even the deciphering that sometimes is needed) and learn from them too.
Never insulted here, just LMAO.I tend to have to re-re at times, and I just learn from my mistakes.
Hope I cleared up the question, 99% do not go that far here LOL.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:50 AM   #10

I took a look around the Web and there seem to be no HDMI headphones so I'm thinking I could just take the A/V out and route the mono audio feed to a pair of headphones... maybe. I'll experiment.

Usually, I reserve stereo recording for "ambient" sound. That's where stereo works best.

But when I record dialogue (people talking to each other), I prefer mono. The reason has to do with the editing process. I have XLR microphone adapters that let me record the mono microphone audio onto *both* stereo tracks. So the dialogue on each track is identical. That makes editing of dialogue much easier. One can run into some tricky editing issues if one records dialogue in stereo.