Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 25, 2009, 1:52 PM   #1

Default Fake Sony microphones on eBay

I just found this eBay buyer guide concerning the fake $5.00 (or less) Sony stereo microphones on eBay from Hong Kong sellers:

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Fake-SONY-...00000001653017

The bottom line: Will these fake Sony microphones work with your Kodak Zi8 or other camcorder with a mic input? Yes. Are they as well built or do they sound as good as a genuine Sony microphone: No. You get what you pay for.

I just bought one of these $5 Sony Hong Kong microphones myself, so I will see what kind of quality I get. I may also try the real Sony version, which sells for $35 or more.
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2009, 2:02 PM   #2

I modded the interior with bedord technology froger mic LOL

it's Lunch money or breakfast money
I wonder just wonder if any mic will make itsound better than theAudio circuitry of the kodak zi8
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 2:28 PM   #3

Default Does the microphone make a difference?

A BIG difference, "even" on the Kodak Zi8, which actually has a good preamp, and manual control and meters.

See this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDVMTfPye68

where three separate mics are tried out on the Zi8. Even in YouTube you can hear the difference in the sound quality between these three mics.

I know this is a video site; but there are people who are just as picky about audio as many people here are about video, and knowledgeable too.

The audio of the Zi8 is too good to waste on a $5 mic, if you care about sound (which has a big impact on the impression a video makes).
markr041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:32 PM   #4

I just bought one off eBay for $9 shipped from a seller in CA and it appears to be real. It looks just like the authentic one in the above referenced review and doesn't have any of the characteristics of the fake.
SupaDave25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 4:24 AM   #5

Over the last several years I have bough half a dozen (or more) of the fakes. They actually sound better than Sony IMO. The Sony uses two cardioid (directional) inserts pointing out at 180 degrees. Which is not stereo. The knock-offs use (generally) higher quality omni-directional inserts and employ spatial phase separation to create a good quality sound image, even though it is not strictly-imaged stereo.

Every knock-off you buy is different, even from the same suppliers...

The 'froggie' mic capsules are the best way to make sure you have the highest quality microphone insert available. And they are often not matched in level. I have seen plus and minus 3 db in the 20 or so I have used... They do have very low handling noise, due to their very lightweight diaphragm.
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 6:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmar View Post
Over the last several years I have bough half a dozen (or more) of the fakes. They actually sound better than Sony IMO. The Sony uses two cardioid (directional) inserts pointing out at 180 degrees. Which is not stereo. The knock-offs use (generally) higher quality omni-directional inserts and employ spatial phase separation to create a good quality sound image, even though it is not strictly-imaged stereo.

Every knock-off you buy is different, even from the same suppliers...

The 'froggie' mic capsules are the best way to make sure you have the highest quality microphone insert available. And they are often not matched in level. I have seen plus and minus 3 db in the 20 or so I have used... They do have very low handling noise, due to their very lightweight diaphragm.
And I cannot tell the difference I replaced the interior with Frogger LOL.

and I am pleased.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:41 PM   #7

Be careful, folks! The Amazon.com seller "Microphones And More Store" is selling what appears to be the real Sony ECM-DS70P mic for $18.99 plus shipping, and indeed the Amazon.com page shows a photo of the real Sony version:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...20More%20Store

But when you go to this page, you clearly see that they are selling the fake counterfeit version, which normally sells for $5.00 shipped on eBay!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Even in the tiny photo, you can see that the ends of the mic grilles do not stick out farther than the housing, which is a dead giveaway that you're getting the fake counterfeit version.

This is their misleading description: "FREE Bonus Mic included! The new Sony mic is sold individually without the box. You will receive 3 items: 1 Sony mic, 1 Free Mic, and 1 Free lightweight 3ft. mic extension cable. Ships same or next business day. Free mic is a 5 inch extended microphone with great quality as well! "

Here's another merchant selling the fake "Sony" mic but using the photo of the real Sony:

http://www.accessoryseek.com/sony-ec...hone_p310.html
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:10 PM   #8

1 mic cost 99 cent or 5.00 or around 4.50 depending on the ebay seller.

free mic cost again average 4.50

wire no more ten a few dollars so lets say around te same price 4.50

so we have around 13.50 and then add shipping and fees.

LOL

I say buyer beware ,and report, noting is given away for free.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:36 PM   #9

I got one off ebay a month ago and I was pretty satisfied. Fake or not, the quality for the price I paid (around 5 dollars) was well worth it.
gl0ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:38 PM   #10

Lol. yep I could not agree more