Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:35 PM   #1

Default Looking for an inexpensive camcorder to record classical music concerts

Hello all. I'm a classical pianist and as the title says, I'm in need of a decent camcorder with a good sound quality to record my concerts. I already have a MD recorder, but it'd also be nice if my camcorder could record a decent sound. At first I've been thinking about buying the Aiptek AHD Z700 (GVS) because it has a mic input but then I read that it's mono. GC10 from Sanyo seems pretty nice but it doesn't support an external mic. Test videos had a pretty nice sound though. I also thought about getting Canon FS200. It has a mic input but it can't shoot HD videos. I don't know if I'd want to buy a SD camcorder.. So what would you recommend? I'm really stuck in between and would really appreciate your comments. Any other models are welcome too!

By the way, thanks for this great site!
kandemirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:53 PM   #2

Welcome aboard kander....

1 Aiptek action HD GVS / z700

2 Kodak zi8 ext mic port stereo, with a gain control to raise up/down volume, int is mono, ext is stereo.

3 creative labs vado gen 3 is not hd1080P but 720P with a ext mic , unsure of it being stereo or mono, as it was just debuted a week or so ago,

those are the three, and I say No. 2 is up as a stickie look at the cam. kodak zi8 with a ext aftermarket mic you'll be Amazed.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:53 AM   #3

Kodak Zi8 seems really nice and I like it a lot but compared to Z700 it doesn't have an optical zoom. Well either cam has its advantages, still can't decide. By the way, what was the reason you ruled out the Sanyo CG10? Is it because of the unreliable sound quality?

Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2009, 5:32 AM   #4

sound quality of the cg10 is great
but it doesnt have mic input.
classical music may require an external mic to record music decently.
or an external sound recorder. <- thats what i would do, because u can that way put the mic where u want and u can move with the cam.
chkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 6:17 AM   #5

Well, I do have an MD Recorder just to record music. I just wanted to have a decent quality picture combined with sound. If I'll put it that way, what would be a better choice, Aiptek Z700, Kodak Zi8 or Sanyo CG10?

Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2009, 7:06 AM   #6

never did I ruled outh e sanyo cg10, it's not HD1080P. and as mentioned by CHKN... no input.
WIth any Hybrid you choose the Audio will be good, never perfect. Some will be to lous, to low, distorted, bassy etc, etc.

The Aiptek Z700 / GVS is LOUD, on the high level of sound

The Kodak Zi8 is Low, on hte low (bassy) level of sound, and has the gain , you'll turn up to 3 inrements each time turned on.

Cannot speak for the Vad,

cannot speak for the cg10,

cannot speak for what I do not own.

Levels of light the Aiptek will be dark, the Sanyo be dark, the Kodak will be brighter

to use optical, wins over digital anytime

EIS Gyro is better , then Digital or electronic EIS

and more manua controls are added bonuses.

150.00 is the ideal price for any of these but being a year older I would think the Z700 be a lot less, it's a tough decision to pick from a multiple ofcams of 720p and1080p

aiptek 1440x1080

Kodak 1920x1080

sanyo 1280x720
creative 1280x720

1440x1080 is isnot 1080P.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandemirb View Post
Hello all. I'm a classical pianist and as the title says, I'm in need of a decent camcorder with a good sound quality to record my concerts. I already have a MD recorder, but it'd also be nice if my camcorder could record a decent sound. At first I've been thinking about buying the Aiptek AHD Z700 (GVS) because it has a mic input but then I read that it's mono. GC10 from Sanyo seems pretty nice but it doesn't support an external mic. Test videos had a pretty nice sound though. I also thought about getting Canon FS200. It has a mic input but it can't shoot HD videos. I don't know if I'd want to buy a SD camcorder.. So what would you recommend? I'm really stuck in between and would really appreciate your comments. Any other models are welcome too!

By the way, thanks for this great site!
What is the size of your budget? The reason I ask is that the Sanyo HD1010 is only $319 on amazon.com at the moment. I have this model. It has Full HD, Stereo Mics plus it also has an external Stereo Mic input (though I have not used this and probably won't for my purposes)
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 2:20 PM   #8

Thanks a lot for your replies! After watching lots of test footage, I decided to order the Sanyo CG10. I really wanted to buy the HD1010 but unfortunately it was way out of my price range since I'm residing in Germany. I could consider buying it for 319$ but the prices here are a lot higher than in the US (399!!). So I hope I'll receive my cam on Tuesday and then try it out. And I'll stick to my MD recorder for the good sound quality.

Thanks again to all!
Old Dec 11, 2009, 2:43 PM   #9

congrats for your order,
i own the cg10 myself and i started a cg10 group on vimeo, http://vimeo.com/groups/cg10 where im trying to add some video test every now and then.
it just need members now
dont hesitate if u still have questions
chkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:49 PM   #10

Congrad's, we (I) at steves wish you the best of luck on your purchase. enjoy when arrives, and share your fun either at Chkn or here.