Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 11, 2010, 6:33 PM   #21

i cant speak for their dslrs, but the camcorders def have rolling shutter

some p&s cams still use ccds
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 7:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by montekay View Post
Hi

What's the latest on CMOS with global shutter? Are there any compact camcorders with it? I e-mailed Canon and in their first response it was clear they hadn't a clue what I was asking about. I complained and they then responded that all their CMOS camcorders have global shutter. Is this true? Why do I not believe them...

My initial searches for information was to determine any disadvantages to buying a DSLR like the Canon T2i as opposed to buying a camcorder. I know about the feature limits and physical handling limits but these do not concern me for my application. I was only interested in knowing if there were any quality issues I should know about in using the DSLR for video instead of a camcorder. The rolling shutter seemed to be an issue but now it seems camcorders for the most part also have rolling shutter. I don't believe Canon's response so I want to ask here so I can either get confirmation of their response or find out they really don't know what they are talking about.

Unless Canon's response is correct and their new camcorders do have global shutter I can't see any reason not to get the DSLR instead. It just makes a lot more sense to me, it will mount right where my old Rebel XT mounted and it can do both video and stills...apparently at the same time. That would be the perfect solution for me.

thanks,
Monte
From my dealings with support people, I wouldn't believe it either. It sounds like they may have confused the term 'Global Shutter' with the scanning of the chip which of course would need to be 'Global' otherwise you wouldn't get the whole image. The HF100 definitely didn't have a Global Shutter and unless they have changed the design on their latest camcorders such as the HF200 etc. I would seriously doubt it.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 2:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
From my dealings with support people, I wouldn't believe it either. It sounds like they may have confused the term 'Global Shutter' with the scanning of the chip which of course would need to be 'Global' otherwise you wouldn't get the whole image. The HF100 definitely didn't have a Global Shutter and unless they have changed the design on their latest camcorders such as the HF200 etc. I would seriously doubt it.
Ok thanks, that's what I thought. So I'm back to finding no reason not to go with the T2i DSLR instead of a camcorder. Given both have the rolling shutter issue and the camcorder has a tiny sensor, the DSLR just seems the only logical choice.

thanks,
mk
montekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 1:06 PM   #24

I continue to use my three HF100 camcorders in 24p mode to record stuff. Haven't seen any rolling shutter in any of my footage.

I think you will find the HF100 use progressive readout, so the rolling shutter becomes a window-shade, and effectively disappears from all except the most difficult shots

Good enough for me - still the best low-light web-video recorders out there, IMHO
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 3:56 PM   #25

Generally I think the rolling shutter problem is overblown for general use and most people won't see it unless they look for it. I don't tend to notice it in my Sanyo HD1010 or even my Aiptek GVS unless I go looking for it. My audience doesn't seem to notice it either. Would I like it to be eliminated? Sure, but it's not going to stop me buying a CMOS camcorder unless it's really obvious.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 3:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by qv98 View Post
i cant speak for their dslrs, but the camcorders def have rolling shutter

some p&s cams still use ccds
A lot of camcorders are available with CCD sensors so no rolling shutter effect but CCD sensors have failings in other ways that cmos excels in
musket is offline   Reply With Quote