Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:32 PM   #1

Default "CVFU-DV05 HD-DV Camcorder" - Aiptek GVS clone!?

I just stumbled upon this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300347087970

It appears to be an exact copy of the Aiptek Action-HD GVS, minus the Aiptek name. It even includes the Aiptek's external mic input. But... it is priced higher than the real Aiptek! So why buy the clone when the real thing is cheaper!? I don't get it...

vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:47 PM   #2

More searching turns up more of these clones, this time direct from Hong Kong with a lower price (but still nowhere near the Amazon.com price for the real Aiptek GVS):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320465046936
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 3:27 AM   #3

Chinavision offers.

did you read the finer prints
they can be firmwared to up to 12 meg. webcam, and av input

thoseare Da reasons why a clone may or not be worth the purchase.

no firmware updates from these companies LOL>
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:06 AM   #4

Aiptek(as other low cost brands) do not make their own hybrid cameras. Therefore you can find the same hybrid camera(with some minor mods) under different brands. As I recall, I saw this HD-DV camera on chinese wholesale sites some time earlier than the release of the Aiptek Z700/GVS.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adalfa View Post
Aiptek(as other low cost brands) do not make their own hybrid cameras. Therefore you can find the same hybrid camera(with some minor mods) under different brands. As I recall, I saw this HD-DV camera on chinese wholesale sites some time earlier than the release of the Aiptek Z700/GVS.
The question though, who *is* the OEM for these clones? I mean in the Pocket PC world for instance we know that HTC is the OEM for many of the re-badged mobile device brands.

How do we know that Aiptek isn't the OEM and that they license the design off to other manufacturers? Isn't Aiptek ultimately a Taiwanese company? HTC is also a Taiwanese company and quite a respected one at that.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:36 AM   #6

Quoting:

Quote:
Strategic Position
Strengths. Aiptek manufactures its own products, and can keep tight controls over costs,
resulting in competitive pricing within product categories. It can also move quickly to
release new products as pricing and production permit feature upgrades.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:36 AM   #7

I lifted my quote from a "Portfolio Plan" for Aiptek.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:41 AM   #8

The "Portfolio Plan" for Aiptek was a research project by student David McGaw of the IIT Master of Design degree at Chicago's Institute of Design.

Download it from David's page here:

http://www.mcgaw.net/research.htm

It's a fascinating read.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:08 AM   #9

Private Idaho, that makes sense that they would be the designers and I always suspected this was the case. Considering how well known Aiptek is now, I am sure we would've found out who the OEM was, if it wasn't them. It didn't take long for the OEM of HP and Compaq's Pocket PC's to be made known years ago. Even designers for other companies often make their own products as is the case with HTC although I am not sure if they did at the very start. Perhaps that is how Aiptek started ie as a small design company until it was eventually able to manufacture the products under it own name.

I actually think this quote from the article is even more telling that the one you posted:

"Aiptek also manufactures products as an original equipment manufacturer (oem) for some of the world’s best-known electronics firms."

I have also noticed that clones of Aiptek products seem to appear after the original which would tend to add weight to this and suggest Aiptek Licensing the design out after they have had a chance to recoop their costs from their own product.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote