Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:50 PM   #1

Default Total Newb looking for some help plz

Hi All,

I am a fisherman, not a video guy...that's my disclaimer
Anyway, I want to produce relatively simple, but hi-def video's to embed in my fishing website. For an example, see here: http://drewgregory.com/go/videos

I've contacted Drew (the owner of that website) and he told me that he primarily uses the Aiptek HD in 720 (60FPS). So, I bought one of those, the GVS model, to be exact. He uses a MAC and is able to edit the native .MOV files and post them in HD through Vimeo.

I am a PC user and don't own a MAC.

Can anyone please help to get me started? Here are the few questions that I know to ask...I'm probably missing many:

- is there software that I can use to edit the .MOV file natively on a PC, or do I need to convert it?
- if I convert to some other format, what is best format to maintain the fidelity of the original file?
- is there a file format that is best for Vimeo and/or for embedding the Vimeo HD files into a website?

I really hope someone can help me...I'm like a fish out of water

Thanks in advance!
tarsky68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:28 AM   #2

Welcome aboard tarsk....

You Own exactly what model the GVS, or the AHD+. I thought you said Aiptek ActionA-HD plus

Now that I got that cleared away.

Lets try to keep it on a Porgies level here. Till we can get to a groupers level. lol. sad to hear the banning of grouper, but with the regulations, today for reasons.

1 windows should be up to speed, if it is a slow pc, then its going to be a struggle.

Here goes.

Magix movie edit pro 12,14,15 there are plus versions of them, that is what I own..

All are offered free. ways to get them are. frys.com, sales require rebates. Ownership of other softwares. if not then you pay still less,, or full, your decision.

To edit te video, takes like any thing you do time, if you do not have time, then the hobby is not for you.

It is simple to place a video to the timeline, and another, and blend them. the program is easy. to learned.

I as well own others:

pinn 14 U and i am learning as well, but I picked up the simple stuff, but cannot render for beans, I am giving up due to the reason, my pc is not up to par for that program.
I am at my limits with magix, so imagine, that lol

hope that helped out
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:11 PM   #3

Thanks Fishy,

I am going to download the free trial of Magix today and give it a try.

Any opinions on best output format for web use? Again, planning on using Vimeo's embeddable HD.

Thanks!
tarsky68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:24 PM   #4

WMVHD 1280x720 is streamline I am no pro but I am sure that is a web base format. Quicktime.mov, or av are not they are to be used for personal.

I am sure and I have not yet went the route of using FLV, or SWF, that are a newer or other version of web base

just my thought.

hope that helps out.