Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:58 PM   #1

Default Tiffen Steadicam Smoothee - A stabilizer for iPhone

The iPhone is one of the most popular cell phones in the world and 3rd party manufacturers seems to make lots of useless(imo) accessories for it. Now, Tiffen Company, a well known company in the photo/video world, has announced a soon to be released "image stabilizer" for the iPhone called Steadicam Smoothee. Is this really necessery? The iPhone's videoquality sucks(ok it has gotten better in the 3GS). Instead Tiffen Co. should've made a stabilizer for smaller, lighter cameras.
No pricetag as of yet, but my guess is it's not going to be cheap. I wonder if it can be used with other cell phones or digital cameras.

http://www.tiffen.com/steadicam_smoothee_pr.html

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/13/t...he-iphone-3gs/

adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:46 PM   #2

manfratti frotto whatever, 585 300 now 85.00

my own opinion.

I rather take of the cam from my belt or pocket . see something, and l if I am near a wall, a fence , a tree, oreven in the open. I would steady my hands take a deep breath, and relaxe . If the object, orsubject starts to move i would slowely move ahead of the shot, but if it scatters, then that wil be it.

If I own one of these , and I did that monfrotto, smotto whatever it was called.
by the time I set up, and take my shot. bats in the Belfry....

It takes a little more then just placing a cam on a POD, and filming, takes practice many practices. to get it down right.

for I will say P A S S

If it wasdirt cheap 29.99 I buy it otherwise my hand,elbows and body stationary works for me

great find though.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 4:33 PM   #3

This product is actually perfect! .. for the manufacturer, since they are going to cash in big time with this.
sadly, apple users (and only apple users) who become infatuated with the brand, have a mindset of buying little gadgets like this to expand the functionality of a very restricted piece of apple hardware.

I play with apple, linux and windows, but understand the limitations and advantages of each without bashing any.

This however, is excessive and unnecesary, but there is a big market out there: every apple fan who likes video and happens to have a 3GS iphone.
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 8:54 AM   #4

I do like the balance adjustments. It actually might prove a useful accessory for the smaller hybrid cameras too. It looks fairly lightweight compared to its predecessors.

But it would be used only rarely. I remove camera shake with Virtualdub and Deshaker. But these devices do more than remove shake, they also position the camera in a manner which is unnatural to a human being, but which looks good in the resulting video. I haven't been able to mimic with my hands what one of these can do to zooming and moving perspective shots...
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 9:40 AM   #5

The whole idea of an iphone is that it's a device that you always have with you! If you are going to all the trouble of bringing along a steadicam then why not go the whole hog and take a regular camcorder with you as well? It's not as if regular camcorders are that big these days.

As has already been alluded to in this thread, this is just a gadget for gadget's sake. I think, as subc said, this was made more to cash in on the apple iphone craze rather than filling a needed market hole.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:42 PM   #6

Well, once you have figured out how to upload your iPhone video directly to YouTube, why on earth would you want to waste your valuable time learning to use any other recording device?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:15 PM   #7

the cell has external memory if I understand right up to 32 gb or is it just Iphone you have to purchase a 32gb plan.I think its the plan, but is it the Applications you are able to find that will allow editing then wherever you upload.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmar View Post
Well, once you have figured out how to upload your iPhone video directly to YouTube, why on earth would you want to waste your valuable time learning to use any other recording device?
I see you're saying but I am willing to bet that many of these will be left at home once the novelty wears off due it not being pocket friendly. An iphone or any cameraphone excels in taking video in adhoc situations simply because you always have it with you. If you are going to make use of this device, then it's something you are planning in advance as you wouldn't take it with you always.

I guess the only advantage I see in this case, as you say, is that you can upload the video straight from the iphone without carrying a laptop or similar with you.

I guess if we see lots of people walking around with these then we'll soon know it was more successful than might have been thought lol
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:05 AM   #9

Well, I am going to have a good look at them, because they seem pretty well built (note the balance buttons). It may be possible to mount my own cameras, they may even have a 1/4 inch mount holding that iPhone bracket...
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:08 PM   #10

Gee, iphone video stabilizer for all most as much as an i-phone ($179) - that makes sence. I got mine on ebay for 49 bucks.
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote