Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:46 PM   #1

Default Speed HD-50Z turning off the LCD screen.

Hi guys I wonder does anybody know if there is a way to turn off the LCD screen with the camera staying powered up, I cannot find any mention in the manual,

The only reason I want to do this is to prolong battery endurance when filming, I intend to use the camera when flying my microlight/ultralight aircraft with the camera out of reach to me but I will be able to control it with the remote control,

Please tell me this is possible guys.

Nick.
nickjaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2010, 3:32 PM   #2

I believe on these cameras, if you plug something (anything, even a dummy plug) into the AV OUT jack, the LCD will go blank. However, I don't know if this will interrupt your recording if you've already started it.
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 4:04 PM   #3

Gee I thought you had the answer there, just tried that yes the LCD goes blank but it wont record like that, worth a try though, thank you.

Nick.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:09 AM   #4

That's strange. My DOD F200HD records perfectly well with the AVout plug in place - I use that trick all the time for 'stealth mode'.

The problem is that a battery only lasts 2:00 hours recording with the AV plug in place, while it lasts 2:20 with the screen ablaze. Strange behavior, but I guess the Ambarella chip must change its output buffers, or something...
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:57 AM   #5

Mmmm thats odd must try is just on stand by screen on but not recording and see how long the battery lasts, I just took it for granted that the screen would drain the battery sooner maybe its not that simple.

Nick.