Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 23, 2010, 3:39 PM   #1

Default I need to read up on filming resolutions were from please.

Hi guys I am a newbie at digi cams and need to read up on filming resolutions, and the best ones to use for best use of memory usage and end quality when burning to a DVD from a standalone DVD recorder, anybody where I can do some home work,

My digi cam has lots of resolution setting but I am not sure of which ones are best for the likes of youtube or for playback to watch on the home LCD TV,

We are om PAL over here in the UK.

Nick.
nickjaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2010, 5:47 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Just moved this to our hybrid section where our movie experts hang out.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 6:18 PM   #3

Welcome board nick,

a cam no matterwhat cam it is, we love to know? example I use the kodak zi8.

The kodak zi8 films in hd1080p, 720p, and wvga I use magix, pinn and arcsoft/

now you have some info ofwhat I sue and can say that is enough info to get me started.

so
1 your cam

2 your software , editor or movie program?

Personal video for Home:

we shoot at the Highest res. so when you wantto save, edit, and burn you will do this at the highest

hd1080P loaded to a editor. and burn dv-avi a dvd disk.

when you do just that it isset att he highest quality.

if you render down to quicktime 1920x1080, it is still the same highq quality

one is for pc windows, the other Macantosh, one is old, the other newer.

now if you save to hd720P, its still a dvd quality but not at best you still beable to enjoy because all dvd players are at 720x480 res and up

these are the only two settings i go as low for a personal video dvd player.

for online, remember it may work for you, but not for others, each person has their budget one will have fiber connection, while others still on dial up.....

WMV is a streamline andwill run on any online site smoother then any orginal file that may stutter.

I render 1280x720 wmvhd all sites, most are flv, swf, unless you are loading to hdwebtown.com

I maynot be a pro, but that is what I lerned
personal files are to be sved at the highest quality, you can always downgrade, but rarely upgrade
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:31 AM   #4

Considering how cheap memory is these days, the golden rule is to always shoot video at the highest resolution regardless of the final use. The reason being is that you can always downgrade video quality but you can never increase it since you cannot increase the amount of information that it didn't capture in the first place.

Now there are some variations on this rule. If you have a 1080p 30fps mode and a 720p 60fps, and you want to shoot smoother video on action subjects without having to use an interlaced mode (ie 1080i) then the 720p will be good enough in this situation.

What type of camcorder do you have since you say "burning to a DVD from a standalone DVD recorder" which implies you are intending on attaching it to DVD recorder instead of using a PC?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:07 AM   #5

today there aresoftware that will now upconvert lesser grade video. and today there are video camcorders that wil do the same, we call it , INTERPOLATION.
we are always thinking positive that our devices we have are the 100% real deal, are they.?

dvd players will be of dv quality, upconverted, and hd.

cams will be of vhs quality, near vhs. dvd quality, near dvd, hd720p and hd1080P, as well more expensive ones 2k,4k,8k,
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:38 PM   #6

Hi guys thanks for all your responses, ok my camera is a budget priced Speed HD-50Z, its highest setting is [email protected],

Unfortunately my PC cannot cope with the cameras software and just stutters through each recording, the PC is getting on now and has a P3 900mz chip, I dont want to spend lots upgrading to a spec that would suit the camera so I will have to download all my filming to our DVD player/recorder,

Am I correct in thinking that all recorders record to DVD at 720x480 if so will it matter if I set my camera to 720x60 or 720x30,

I seem to get a more stable result filming at 720 rather than 1080,

My TV 1280x720 HDMI so am I correct in thinking that if I run from my camera to the TV via a HDMI cable that is the only way to watch any filming I do in full 1920x1080,

And if I ever upgade the PC would I be able to view at full 1080 on that,

Sorry to ask so many questions guys.

Nick.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjaxe View Post
And if I ever upgade the PC would I be able to view at full 1080 on that,
With that old a spec I would imagine even playing 720p video would be a problem so you may as well go the whole hog and record in 1080p anyway if you go with archiving the original. Recording in WVGA mode would be a bit of a waste of this camera. This is why I was saying you still record in 1920x1080 even if you have a PC that cannot play it at the moment. What you can do is convert it temporarily to another format that is easier to play and just store the original on an external drive for now. Once you do get a PC that is able to play that format in the future, you'll be ready whereas if you only shot at WVGA you would be losing that extra information and clarity.

I assume that when you say you are going to record to a DVD recorder, you mean via the analog output of the Camcorder itself? In which case, you should be fine recording in full HD and outputting to your DVD recorder for viewing though you say you get a more stable DVD using the 720p mode? Strange as 720p is the height, not the width as for DVD so shouldn't make a difference. Do you record directly from the Camcorder or playback from the PC?

You should be fine using either HDMI or analog outputs to the TV.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:59 AM   #8

Thanks RG, I am starting to get the picture now and the external hard drive is a good idea must get myself one,

Yes I have to record to my DVD recorder via phono leads from the camera as I cannot think of a way to use the HDMI connectors that are only on my TV and not the DVD recorder, I wonder if there is a way if I did connect via the HDMI cable to the TV could I then record onto the DVD which is connected to the TV via scart leads,

One thing that does puzzle me is when I download from the camera to the DVD recorder then watch the DVD on the PC I find the picture quite a bit darker than if I were to watch the same DVD on the TV any ideas, I wonder when I get around to editing on the PC from a DVD disc will this darkening cause me a problem with the finished edited movie.

Nick.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:41 AM   #9

If your looking for more expertise opinions on video editing or video info have a look at this website.

www.videohelp.com
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:07 PM   #10

Videohelp.com is a excellent site I agree, I am over there as well.

1 a dxg 596v Hd-50 speed etc.....

2 Software, what software do you use to edit neverdid you mention, or I read you used softwre?