Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:21 PM   #1

Default zi8 cmos sensor question...

Hello guys,

Is there 2 different cmos sensors being used in the zi8? This is the situation I have:

Bought this zi8 from qvc: http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx?v...ARCH-_-E212497

I noticed it says in spec that it has a 1.6 MP 1/4.5" cmos.

Then I see the same camera in aqua says in specs 5MP 1/2.5" cmos:
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx?v...ARCH-_-E212417

Now I'm feeling unsure & unhappy as the kodak site says the 1/4.5" comes in the cheaper zi6 & zx1 and the 1/2.5" comes in the zi8. Which leads me to believe the 1/2.5" is more desireable. (I am new to these things)
So I call up QVC and ask them about this and the tech support says the specs are indeed correct on the 2 cameras (both zi8) that I mention. So I said I wanna change my order to the aqua one since it has the 1/2.5" sensor. I'm told that it won't let them cancel the order and that the red one with the 1/4.5" is gonna ship. But they can charge me and send me the aqua one too and when the red one gets here to return it and they will refund me. I call up kodak support and ask them if they produced the zi8 with 2 different sensors, the lady puts me on hold for 5 minutes and comes back and says that the zi8 was only produced with a 1/2.5" cmos.
So after this somewhat long story, my questions are: Did they make the zi8 with 2 different cmos, and if so, which should I keep: The red with the 1/4.5" or the aqua with the 1/2.5" cmos?

Thanks to those who have taken the time to read this.

Timmah!
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:06 PM   #2

Ok, after delving 50 pages into a thread here, I see that all zi8's have the 1/2.5" cmos & that it was just an error in the listed specs leftover from the zi6 menu used in the zi8. Is this correct?
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:07 PM   #3

Timmah!

The Zi8 has only one size cmos sensor, the 1/2.5. If you are quite sure it was the Zi8 you ordered, then you will get the larger sensor that you desire (as would I). The Zi6 is about 50 dollars cheaper in price than the Zi8, so that might tell you something. The QVC folks are not experts on the things that they sell, so I wouldn't put much stock in a phone conversation with someone who obviously doesn't know that Kodak didn't put two different sensors in the same camera, based on color??? Good luck...

Robert

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmah! View Post
Ok, after delving 50 pages into a thread here, I see that all zi8's have the 1/2.5" cmos & that it was just an error in the listed specs leftover from the zi6 menu used in the zi8. Is this correct?

I'd say someone(human) got their cutting and pasting mixed up on this one LOL

Have some high-def fun. The compact Zi8 video camera is designed to fit in your pocket so it's at the ready to capture footage in up to 1080p HD quality whenever magic moments happen.

The 1.6 megapixel, 1/4.5" CMOS sensor delivers realistic skin tones, rich landscape colors, and impeccable detail, with the ability to capture equally impressive still images at up to 5.3 megapixel resolution. When you're finished filming, the flip-out USB 2.0 arm makes downloading clips extra easy, and the HDMI output allows you to project your movies on your HDTV as well.

The camera is also accompanied by a variety of accessories to help simplify your shooting--a Samsonite case for easy transport; a $55 Kodak Gallery offer so you can order prints or other custom-made merchandise; and ArcSoft Impression software to manage and edit your movies. From Kodak.
  • Includes pocket video camera, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, charger cable/adapter, HDMI cable, A/V cable, Samsonite case, wrist strap, ArcSoft Media Impression software, user guide, and $55 Kodak Gallery offer
  • 1.6 megapixel, 1/4.5" CMOS sensor
  • 6.3mm, f/2.8 fixed focus lens
  • Records H.264 MOV, AAC LC video
  • 4X digital zoom
  • 2.5" diagonal LCD display
  • 128MB internal memory
  • Video settings: 1080p at 30fps, 720p at 60fps, 720p at 30fps, 16:9; WVGA
  • Normal/macro focus
  • Auto white balance
  • Records 5.3 megapixels JPEG still images
  • Built-in microphone, speaker
  • Standard tripod mount
  • SD/SDHC memory card slot
  • Built-in USB 2.0 arm
  • HDMI output
  • A/V output
  • DC input
  • External microphone jack
  • Measures approximately 2-3/8" x 4-1/2" x 7/8"
  • UL listed charger; 1-year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
Robert

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:03 AM   #5

I am never a Pro.

QVC.com is a tv sales place, they show on a air, and they have a website ofwhat they recieve from Kodak.

It sounded like, the info did not get out to Qvc in time, and the webhost, had to make up for lost info, like the above poster mentions.

Kodak has only one cmos sensor and of theirs, and not 3rd party.

You contacted Kodak, and either talked to Rochester Ny, ortech in the philipenes overseas.

No Matter what one says
Sales is first, they'll sell you a story,

If you feel you have your cam and all is looking good, and you hate the color, all you have to do is buy a new battery door.

I would find a way to get that door, out of them for free, but they are TOUGH.

they will hold their grounds. they will most likely ask for the cam back, and its a long process in my eyes. they send you to tech support tryto persuede you, an then back with a rma number.

I am very pleased, and happy, with my Zi8, I would not get the ZX3, because it's the same.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 3:23 PM   #6

I've had two (2) Zi8s for several months now.

Very happy.

No problems.

Plus, Kodak keeps improving the firmware.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Idaho View Post
I've had two (2) Zi8s for several months now.

Very happy.

No problems.

Plus, Kodak keeps improving the firmware.
reallywhat's their latest Nov 2009 lol 3 months later and stopped concerned they are findinga fix to the issue people have and they're with not firmware.