Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:55 AM   #1

Default Best ultra compact camcorder (flipflop and similar)

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could give me some advice in which is the best ultra compact camcorder that I should buy.
For ultracompact camcorder, I mean the flipflop type, the ones very tini that sell for about 200 dollars.
Any advice pls ?

I was thinking to buy a Zi8, but I stopped when last night I read the camcorderinfo review.

They are saying that the flip HD is better.
They say that the angle of the lens is terrible and that the lens have a fixed focus that can focus on object that are far away. (Zi8 cannot focus on anything that is between 15cm–100cm (½ foot to 3½ feet) away) :

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...duct-Tour.htm#

To tell you the truth, I do not know if I should beleave them or not.
I think that when they review things, they are bias over brands that pay for advertise....

I need your help please .

Do you really think that the Zi8 is not good in focusing in that range ?

what about the firmware update ? I read some user saying that with the firmware update the zi8 works much better. What the firmware increase in the camera ?

Thank you
marcolisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:55 AM   #2

I stopped reading CamcorderInfo years ago.

Their reviews feature spelling errors and basic journalism mistakes... such as incorrect specifications, etc.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post
They say that the angle of the lens is terrible and that the lens have a fixed focus that can focus on object that are far away. (Zi8 cannot focus on anything that is between 15cm–100cm (½ foot to 3½ feet) away)
I don't know why they make such a big deal about the Zi8's focal range, because the Flip Ultra HD is even worse and they say nothing about it! The Ultra HD cannot focus on anything closer than 1.5 meters (150 cm, almost 5 feet) away, and has no macro mode! At least the Zi8 gives you a macro mode switch so you can focus on close-ups, and the switch can also be used as a manual focus lever to bring objects between 15 and 100 cm into razor-sharp focus.

Here is my video explaining and demonstrating the "manual focus trick". I did it on a Kodak Zi6, but it works perfectly on the Zi8 as well:
http://www.vimeo.com/5986438
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:15 AM   #4

Plus, the Flip doesn't have an external microphone input.

That alone makes it useless for many.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:46 AM   #5

Not a owner of a website, nore A Reviewer, aswell allowed cameras to test.

Why would you trust a site that is not kodak.com They got a lab, they already did their testing. Anything on the outside is just info, we all have a Opinion, and that the person is just doing, he , she, or they, must have been rubbed the wrong way.

i am like you, and all others a consumer. I purchase, and share my like and dislike. I will not say do not get, this, or get that.
I wil lsay research. get samples, and ask a real person. I find that asking that particular person, I either get no response.

TheKodak and all other models are great pc low budget cams. I will say iti s a grab me while you can, unsure if the SPortsman whatever it is will be better or the same. very pleased, and happy.

I preferre control of my battery, I preferre control of my sd card, otherwise either one will work for each one needs.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:54 AM   #6

Here's PC MAGAZINE's take on the Zi8:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2351398,00.asp

Quote:
Like the competition, the Zi8 still isn't perfect, but given its many features and sub-$200 price, it's the best pocket camcorder you can buy right now, so it's our latest Editors' Choice.
The review was written in August of last year, but I think it still holds true.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:44 PM   #7

Hi guys, thank you for the replies.
I understand what do you mean.
Are there any ultracompact camera that are out or coming out that would have an autofocus system instead of the fixed focus ?

Thank you
marcolisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:58 PM   #8

Sony bloggie, kodak creative and Pure only deal with FF

to build a Af one you need room, and fora flip flop you call it will defeat that purpose.

you have to give to get.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 1:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post
Hi guys, I was wondering if you could give me some advice in which is the best ultra compact camcorder that I should buy.
For ultracompact camcorder, I mean the flipflop type, the ones very tini that sell for about 200 dollars.
Any advice pls ?

I was thinking to buy a Zi8, but I stopped when last night I read the camcorderinfo review.

They say that the angle of the lens is terrible and that the lens have a fixed focus that can focus on object that are far away. (Zi8 cannot focus on anything that is between 15cm–100cm (½ foot to 3½ feet) away) :

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...duct-Tour.htm#

To tell you the truth, I do not know if I should beleave them or not.
I think that when they review things, they are bias over brands that pay for advertise....

I need your help please .

Do you really think that the Zi8 is not good in focusing in that range ?

what about the firmware update ? I read some user saying that with the firmware update the zi8 works much better. What the firmware increase in the camera ?

Thank you
you will want a cam that does 60fps. also you will want a cam that has removable media, and removable batteries. i would recommend the kodak zi6. it has all those features plus theyre really cheap online right now

also for youre purpose you will not want to use the macro mode

my zi6 is in focus at about 2.5 feet

Last edited by qv98; Feb 11, 2010 at 1:29 PM.
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 1:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Idaho View Post
Their reviews feature spelling errors and basic journalism mistakes... such as incorrect specifications, etc.
u cant be serious?
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote