Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 27, 2010, 4:34 PM   #1

Default Aiptek A-HD Pro Video Cam MOV files

Greetings from another frustrated consumer. I bought, from Amazon, an Aiptek A-HD Pro Video Cam. Seems to work ok as long as you don't mind an incredibly slow auto focus producing fuzzy spots throughout your recording session.

Thinking I could use the furnished Arcsoft TotalMedia Extreme software to edit out these spots I loaded it up and, of course, it won't recognize the MOV files produced by the video cam. It says, right in the program, that it supports MOV, but it doesn't. Within TME itself I get a "Cannot Open File" notice even though the files are visible in the browser window. In the Arcsoft Digital Theater it tells me that MOV files are unsupported but, again, they do appear in the browser window which other, unsupported video files, do not.

Just as a base test I open my files in the free version of QuickTime and the clips play just fine. So no corruption of files at the source end.

Now I know I can spend more money and overcome this problem in both easy and convoluted ways but I'd rather the product work as advertised. So the question is, am I, in my dotage, missing something obvious here? Is there a trick? Hearing from any kind souls with insight into this problem would be appreciated.

Ah, yes: XP pro, Pent 4, 2Gigs, available space on HD.

Last edited by Goldwork; Feb 27, 2010 at 4:37 PM.
Goldwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:56 AM   #2

Which version of Extreme do you have, is it Showbiz?

Is the cd dish all white, or is it all silver.

There are two versions of Extreme.

And both do work.

Without the program, can you open your videos to view, if not you do not have the codecs loaded. The codecs are hidden with quicktime 7.0 or higher.

You do not need, but cannot hurt to use ffdshow.info codecs as well. It may do two things, correct, or fail, and it may just allow you to use TME.

When you load TME, did it ask you to update that be the showbiz. if atthe video load page if it has a intro of 8 sec counter, that is showbiz.

TME the other does not have that stuff.

TME Older does not mean better.

Both programs will not alow 1920x1080, but only 1440x1080, and lower rendering.

I have loaded the showbiz, and it worked for me. I am now testing out the other, it may overwrite, the other program, will report later.

If you think its a camera issue with a file mediafire.com. and othermembers may try, it out,

If you think its a program issue, you may have to see if something other is currupting
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:52 AM   #3

Default Aiptek A-HD video problems

Thanks for the reply, Fishycomics. In fact, the videos do play in QuickTime.

The version of TotalMedia Extreme is the MV version, whatever that is. V2.0.0.58. I ran the update and it said I had the latest version.

It's all academic now, however, as I'm returning the unit to the retailer. I bought a Kodak Zi8 but, while the ArcSoft MediaImpression software included will actually play the files, I'm completely unimpressed with both the camera and the software.

You'd think they'd include a simple editor that would allow you to edit your videos by cutting sections out of a particular clip, pasting to others, and producing a coherent narrative.

By the look of the TotalMedia Extreme user interface that program will do that basic function if it happens to recognize your files. The MediaImpressions just allows you to "glue" several clips together but no internal editing in any given clip.

As for the Zi8, despite CNET's rave review, I think my wife's Flip Video (standard, not HD) blows the Kodak out of the water in both quality of build and quality of output. My one reason for going with the Kodak was the Macro function which Flip does not include and I need for the work I want to do with the camera.

BTW, the TotalMedia Extreme won't open the Kodak's files either, which are also MOV files. Again, QuickTime will play them.

Thanks again for the info.

Last edited by Goldwork; Mar 1, 2010 at 9:55 AM.
Goldwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:18 AM   #4

sorry to hear that .TMI and TME I have not a issue with . can get most files, of cams in there , I am unsure if a mp4 is allowed.

Macro is alright on the Kodak, its far better on the Aiptek. we are limited. but using a aftermarket lens fixs the issues enjoy.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:12 AM   #5

With my AHD H12 Extreme I change .mov to .avi with mp4cam2avi (google search), converting audio to mp3.

Having Klite codec installed I can open it in Virtualdub and cut / enhance, stabilize video, resize and recode to divx or xvid...

I also use sometimes Total Media Showbiz version 3.2.5.46 for transitions and effects, works well in full HD, but slow to process.

If you want to open videos in Adobe Premiere, even if it can open .MOV when you install Quicktime, it's often slow. Avisynth scripts can open it with the ffdshow codec, it's faster for preview but you have to convert sound to MP3 with MP4CAM2AVI, because audio support might not be good in original MOV.

To read video on PC, mediaplayer classic or VLC...
Xtsea is offline   Reply With Quote