Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:23 AM   #11

What I have observed is that most editors that can natively edit any long GOP format... doesn't matter if it's MPEG or .MOV... is that even though they can limit any new rendering only to "changes," they create edit points that -- when played back -- don't look very smooth. Most of these native MPEG editors on Windows use MainConcept's technology and it just doesn't work well.

That said, I do not know of any Windows-based editor that can natively edit Quicktime .MOV files with "changes-only" smart-rendering functionality.

If there is such an editor, then I would first take a look at Adobe's offerings and then test one of those.

Otherwise, I would either:

1. Convert all source clips to intermediate I-Frame formats prior to editing

...or...

2. Simply edit the Quicktime .MOV files directly and allow every frame to be rendered as the quality loss is really not that great.

I prefer MAGIX editors, personally.

- Private Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by novolo View Post
and what about a windows app that can edit MOV files natively?

what app do you guys use to correctly edit the files that come out of this camera?
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 3:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Idaho View Post
What I have observed is that most editors that can natively edit any long GOP format... doesn't matter if it's MPEG or .MOV... is that even though they can limit any new rendering only to "changes," they create edit points that -- when played back -- don't look very smooth. Most of these native MPEG editors on Windows use MainConcept's technology and it just doesn't work well.

That said, I do not know of any Windows-based editor that can natively edit Quicktime .MOV files with "changes-only" smart-rendering functionality.
VideoReDo Plus natively edits, splits, and joins MPEG1 and MPEG2 files and re-encodes only whatever portions are necessary to create a smooth transition. Otherwise it is lossless. For registered users they have an alpha version which supports MP4 video.

http://www.videoredo.com/en/ProductPlus.htm
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate59588 View Post
I tried MEP 14, when I try to import the HD MOV footages (H.264 MOV, 1920*1280p) took with Canon EOS 7D to it, an error message will definitely pop up to tell you it is not a valid AVCHD format

was the file MP4, and did you activate the codes in the help section to allow to play?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Idaho View Post

If there is such an editor, then I would first take a look at Adobe's offerings and then test one of those.

Otherwise, I would either:

1. Convert all source clips to intermediate I-Frame formats prior to editing

...or...

2. Simply edit the Quicktime .MOV files directly and allow every frame to be rendered as the quality loss is really not that great.

I prefer MAGIX editors, personally.

- Private Idaho
I know I'm jumping into this a bit late but I have an Aiptek Action HD GVS. It outputs h.264 MOV files, and I have no problem editing them in Vegas 9.0 Pro. For the hell of it I edited a clip that was made up of sub-clips most at 720P (60), a couple at 1080P (30) and one at 720P (30). The edits were seamless and smooth. All of my transitions (when I added them) worked fine. So, I'm not exactly sure what you are saying is true. I generally shoot in 720P (60) so most of my clips match up in that regard. I just haven't had any problems doing it in Sony Vegas 9 Pro.

If you describe for me what I'm suposed top be looking for maybe I can reproduce it.

John
mosspa is offline   Reply With Quote