Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 11, 2010, 3:42 AM   #1

Default Hybrid with A/V input? 720x480 recording @ best quality? (fishycomics)

This message is mainly directed towards fishycomics.

Hello, I am looking to purchase a hybrid camera that has video input recording (either composite or s-video) with a really good quality.

I was thinking something similar to what the Aiptek A-HD+ allows (720x480 resolution at 2Megabits per second I believe), but on an updated camera if possible, unless the A-HD+ is the way to go.

I record a lot of interviews (talking heads, good lightning, minimal movement, lavalier microphones that I feed into a mixer and then to the camera), and I wish to move away from tape recording and start doing everything digitally.

Currently I do all my recordings on a miniDV deck (connected to the firewire output from the camera) and a DVD recorder as a backup (connected to the analog output from the camera), but I wish to add yet another backup medium, by using the analog outputs from the minidv deck into a hybrid camera that allows A/V input... this while I fully transition to a digital medium.

Everything is recorder on SD (NTSC), but I wish to keep a high quality backup recording in case I need to create masters (if the minidv tape fails or the DVD backup doesn't finalize properly).

Does anybody has any samples of A/V input recorded with a hybrid camera? (raw video preferred) Could you upload those samples to mediafire or a similar service?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by subc; Mar 11, 2010 at 3:44 AM. Reason: misspellings
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2010, 5:39 AM   #2

The AIpteks, A-HD / go-hd , and A-HD+ / Action HD do 640x480, and 740x480.

The Action HD GVS some found @ Amazoncom released with AV input, and the Company keeping Hush-Hush., that there are some GVS's out there with this, while many Consumers already with cam in hand. called playing a game.

One day, and am sure there are othercams found online that may alredy do hd1080 in Av input.

ANy device of any company will do what you're after, if its stated in the decriptions. not subject to Aiptek. They are just thefew pc Low Budeget economy Hybrids found at Local electronic stores today, like Bestbuy, Target, Walmart.

I like You Sub. will have to look, research, and go into a store, I have no other Personal advice, at this Moment.

SO maybe @ others will join in.

740x480 av to me is quite decent, the sound will be as good as only the camorders circuitry. The issue with AIptek any signal in to the cam may or may not work exactly how we want, when a vcr is hoked up.

I enjoy the AIptek Ahd series for that purpose. takes a excelent fixedfocus video wide angle, and can capture av input, while the newer version, is in its own world.

Thanks for asking, and check the specs on sites.........
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:25 PM   #3

The Aiptek A-HD+ has A/V input, but it is way too sensitive to the stability of the video signal. You need a very clean, stable, broadcast-quality video source in order for it to successfully capture the video. If the image gets too bright, or has static in it, or if tape wear causes it to jitter a little bit, the Aiptek just flashes a red "NO SIGNAL" error message on its display and stops the capture.

For standard definition video, using a digital FireWire connection to MiniDV tape is absolutely the best quality you can get. In fact, MiniDV is simply a smaller version of the regular DV tape format, which is used by TV studios. DV is a professional format, and you've already made the right choice by using it. If you want another backup besides DVD, just get a MiniDV camcorder with analog video inputs, and record to that. Sony camcorders are well regarded for their excellent, rock-solid analog video capture that has no trouble dealing with unstable "off-spec" video sources; just look around for a used Sony MiniDV camcorder with video capture, such as the DCR-TRV22, and it will serve you well.
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:05 PM   #4

Thanks for the input fishycomics and vwestlife. And yes, I was thinking of the A-HD+ mainly, but then I read that the SD resolution (720x480 or 640x480) is obtained with realtime interpolation by the camera :-/

I have a couple other miniDV camcorders I could use as backup recorders with firewire, but my objective is to do everything digital in the end.

My source is a live feed from a 3CCD Panasonic camcorder that has both firewire out and analog out (composite).

Perhaps I should get me a small laptop and use it as a digital recorder to MPEG-2 or H264 if it's powerful enough to encode in realtime.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:11 AM   #5

going low budget that is the way. aPc low budget economy Hybrid camcorder, anything plugged into the cam.

Understanding that something very simple, may be to complications.

Yes the AIptek series from the get go the MPVr first hybrid with stabilization, and a 5-1 or 6-1, whatever... did just that.

Able to accept AV imput. plugging in a vcr, hitting play stopped the port, and that was about at least 5 years ago wow!, neverfixing the issue, or is it a issue?

You had to set everything up, and the very last thing you hit would been the camcorder to record, and when you needed to interrupt, you had to stop the cam, anything else in between would cause the cam to reset.

Something people could not deal with, and still today.

Possable you need to look for something tht has a higher price tag, a major company etc. etc.

I know how to deal with this and am happy I can do what the cam is supposed to do. perfection is not needed for online streaming. unless that is what you're after?