Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 22, 2011, 5:28 AM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
correts Hope Motman gets a batt and sees if its the fix
That'll be my first attempt...camera never came on with ac adaptor and old battery in, so not sure...I did contact Kodak via email on their help desk, and I'm waiting for a reply. I appreciate all the help...I like this forum. and 10-4 on ordering 2...good call!

Last edited by Montman; Apr 22, 2011 at 5:36 AM.
Montman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:14 AM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montman View Post
That'll be my first attempt...camera never came on with ac adaptor and old battery in, so not sure...I did contact Kodak via email on their help desk, and I'm waiting for a reply. I appreciate all the help...I like this forum. and 10-4 on ordering 2...good call!
Did you actually try to see if the Zx3 works by removing the old battery and using the AC adapter alone?

If the old battery is bad - it can bring the whole camera down even if the AC adapter is plugged in.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:52 AM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownVT View Post
Did you actually try to see if the Zx3 works by removing the old battery and using the AC adapter alone?

If the old battery is bad - it can bring the whole camera down even if the AC adapter is plugged in.

I hope he Heard us. our first advice.

Kodak will read you a book,

1. plug in cam via ac cable via ac wall outlet.

2 plug cam in Usb pc or mac

all with the battery, and then without. if it lights up and you se the cam when you press the off sayoing Kodak.

BATTERY
If you see the white light flash BATTERY
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:59 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Kodak will read you a book,
Listen to fishy - he knows.

Hopefully the Zx3 is still working - if it lights up when plugged in via AC adapter withOUT the old battery - then it's a simple matter of getting hold of a couple of batteries -

Then you wouldn't even have to talk to Kodak....

fishy is only 21 -
he just looks that way from having to talk to Kodak.....
Old Apr 22, 2011, 1:49 PM   #185

Quote:

Hopefully the Zx3 is still working - if it lights up when plugged in via AC adapter withOUT the old battery - then it's a simple matter of getting hold of a couple of batteries -

fishy is only 21 -

those are brownie points there UnknownVT.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 5:43 PM   #186

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion...yes I did(remove battery), and it didn't come on...with either USB cable or the AC adaptor , I just tried again on friends Droid AC charger, as they are the same, and it didn't work there either. I'm guessing bad cam then...is that what y'all are saying?

Kodak never responded to my email so I'll call tomorrow. I do have a back up, my 4 yr old Pentax Optio WPi...hundreds of dunkings and still going strong!
Quote:

fishy is only 21 -
Sorry, just read this post...calling Kodak when I have a few.....years!

Last edited by Montman; Apr 26, 2011 at 5:46 PM.
Montman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 5:51 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montman View Post
Sorry for the confusion...yes I did(remove battery), and it didn't come on...with either USB cable or the AC adaptor , I just tried again on friends Droid AC charger, as they are the same, and it didn't work there either. I'm guessing bad cam then...is that what y'all are saying?

Kodak never responded to my email so I'll call tomorrow. I do have a back up, my 4 yr old Pentax Optio WPi...hundreds of dunkings and still going strong!
Ouch! it does seem that way - if it does not work with AC adapter plugged and battery removed.

Can't figure out why it broke - especially if there was no evidence of water ingression
and everything seemed OK - only a few hours before, when you charged it.

So it seems that you'll with have to contend with Kodak service -
hopefully you may get better response by phoning -
and the outcome satisfactory.

FWIW - the Kodak PlaySport Zx3 can be had for as low as $85.35 shipped used "Like New"

Good luck.

Last edited by UnknownVT; Apr 26, 2011 at 5:54 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 6:44 PM   #188

lets see.
ZX3 usb of cable to pc will power, and ac plug to usb cable to cam power.

Playtouch we lose one feature, and Zi8 we can blow the power up.

it is clear you burnt out a fuse in the cam, and need to send it in for repair, and may not be covred under warranty. I am sure it is if you have proper papers of purchase etc.....

Sad to hear best use a phone vs a two week no reply email sys.

Well since we have no clue if your battery is functional passed 3.0vdc. no way to test battery, plug, and even cam via otehr battery sources. best to send in. to Kodak

CRT-attn Deb shuryn
Eastman kodak
3/10/ko
343 state street Rochester Ny 146500944

Last edited by fishycomics; Apr 26, 2011 at 6:47 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 1:02 PM   #189

Hi.
I am John from Greece.
I own the playsport zx3(fw1.12) black for a week now.I am very happy with it except one thing for which i need your help.In low light shooting i have two spots in the upper left corner which disappear only in 1080p mode ( which i dont prefer ).Outside i have no problem.I didnt return it for two reasons 1st.sometimes the problem gets worst( from reviews i read in amazon-the problem i have is common) 2st.I am intend to use the camera mostly outside.
I am going to have a trip in london and i wonder if i can fix it ( for inside shooting).
Maybe downgrade the firmware or downgrade and upgrade again ( where i can find the old ones?)

Thanks for your help.
John Greece.
feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 8:32 PM   #190

Default ZX3 Downgrade Firmware

I just purchased and received a refurbished zx3 from MacMall for $84.99. Had been waivering between the ZX3 and ZX5. When I saw the deal on this refurb from MacMall that made up my mine. I figure for $84.99 if I don't like it or it doesn't work I'm not out a lot of $$$$. I received the camera in excellent physical condition and it functioned perfectly fine with firmware version 1.03. After reading the reviews of firmware 1.12 I reluctantly upgraded. What a mistake...Had the red blotches in low light the everyone was complaining about. Tried to downgrade to 1.03 but it wouldn't let me until I figured out the trick. You have to rename the .FW file a number higher than 112. I renamed it zx3_113.fw and it worked beautifully. When viewing the firmware version on the camera it clearly shows I have successfully downgraded to version 1.03. The Firmware doesnt show as 1.13 but 1.03 just as it should. Renaming the .FW file just tricks the camera into thinking it's an upgrade and allows it to accept the file. So for everyone wanting to downgrade it can be done and done very easily. I'm assuming you could also downgrade to 1.01 as well if anyone has that particular firmware file. I believe fishycomics posted a link earlier in this tread to the 1.03 firmware. I do not accept any responsibility for this procedure should it fail to work on your camera or cause damage. Proceed at your own risk. Good Luck.

Last edited by gadgetfreak; May 14, 2011 at 9:04 PM.
gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote