Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:06 AM   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafmons View Post
Perfect, thank you.
aAlay Welcomed. the trick really is to rename that file, sometimes if its a same format you can just rename that file to the next sequential number example
file 234_0001 in the Play234 folder

Kodak had something so big, under their noses and David Snook is afool for not yet figuring it out
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:44 AM   #202

just bought a ZX3 clearance model at staples for $99 ... couple of questions:

1. I see a video from FISHY about PLAYSPORT and EXTERNAL MIC. I didnt think the ZX3 had a mic input but is this accomplished by using the AV jack with an adapter even though it is supposed to be for output?

2. I am a 3MOS TM700 camera and I always shoot 1080P60 to get the best quality... with the ZX3, should I shoot in 1080 (Its only 30 frames) or the 720P60? I do want the best HD quality and will be shooting things like concerts, and events where people are dancing etc....

3. Is there anything else I should know about this camera.. I did upgrade to the latest firmware and so far, I can not see any of the issues people mention with the firmware...

Thanks....
dahauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:00 AM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahauss View Post
just bought a ZX3 clearance model at staples for $99 ... couple of questions:

1. I see a video from FISHY about PLAYSPORT and EXTERNAL MIC. I didnt think the ZX3 had a mic input but is this accomplished by using the AV jack with an adapter even though it is supposed to be for output?

2. I am a 3MOS TM700 camera and I always shoot 1080P60 to get the best quality... with the ZX3, should I shoot in 1080 (Its only 30 frames) or the 720P60? I do want the best HD quality and will be shooting things like concerts, and events where people are dancing etc....

3. Is there anything else I should know about this camera.. I did upgrade to the latest firmware and so far, I can not see any of the issues people mention with the firmware...

Thanks....

Congrads and good luck, I did not say that the ZX-3 has external mic options at all. so question No.1 I am not sure waht you are referring to.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:09 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Congrads and good luck, I did not say that the ZX-3 has external mic options at all. so question No.1 I am not sure waht you are referring to.
I thought I saw a video on YOUTUBE that said PLAYSPORT EXTERNAL MIC BUT I was wrong.. as I just checked and it is PLAYTOUCH not playsport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpzflqEkngA.. ALTHOUGH I wonder if the AV jack (sub mini) can be used a mic input?

what about my other questions?? thanks
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:29 AM   #205

I did not update firmware on orginal. and others still complain of a blotch spot after they updated. to correct a fraction of a sec time no thank you. and shutter speed, hmmm.

I shoot with the Kodaks at Hd720P60f. I shoot with my sony Hd1080P60f and will I in M2ts, or MTS will see.

Why I had mentioned the sony WX9 with a ton offeatures. but the Kodak Playsport has a Limitor to sound. so if your sound is OUCH! it will be Mono soothing.

this is a Pc low budget economy Hybrid cam great for the daytime outdoor shots. will do just fine, for I am not a Concert filmer sorry.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:41 AM   #206

I see you say you shoot in 720P60 on the camera... BUT does the quality get worse of you shoot in 1080P30?? I know for fast motion you should shoot at 60P which in this case is 720P mode, but would I be OK shooting in 1080 mode or is the quality better in 720? and I assume that since you say the sound of the ZX3 ... now, I also own a XACTI HD700 and that does good BUT not great.. is the 720P mode better on the ZX3 then the HD700? I dont really like the HD700 quality.. I guess for a camera I can stick in my pocket I should not be to worried but I wan to get the best I can out of this camera...
Old Aug 6, 2011, 12:41 PM   #207

Apple and oranges.

The sanyo xacti HD700 was and is still the ideal cam, I just taken it with me and Love it Full stereo 7x optical with digital zoom, full control over all settings video and stills. no question hands down

for the zx3 Like i said I prefere my settings I like it the way I do my stuff.

Hd1080P you get 1980x1080 frame size vs 1280x720 hd720p is all you need. but to each teheir own. I do not watch my video on Hd 70 inch plasma etc.. so I shoot fort he net and happy enough
Old Aug 6, 2011, 1:09 PM   #208

SO in your opinion, if you were only gong to do 720P, would you keep the KODAK for $99 or return it and just use the SANYO (which I already have).. IF I really wanted 1080 and a pocketable camera, am I OK keeping the ZX3 or am I better off with a DIFFERENT POCKET CAMERA - and which one?? I see someone on another thread said the ZX5 has issues focusing in low light.. I assume the ZX3 would be the same issue??
Old Aug 6, 2011, 2:10 PM   #209

Well a little while ago I did a comparison with the ZX3 in 720P60 to the SANYO HD700 which is only 720P30 .... the ZX3 looks a LOT better! I would have thought the HD700 would have been the winner but its not.. in spots where there was LOW light, the HD700 was grainy... this was when set on a MANUAL ISO setting and EVEN on the AUTO ISO.. BUT the ZX3 didnt suffer from this.. the only issue I see on the ZX3 is LENS GLARE.. when there is glare from the sun hitting an object, you can see in the footage the sun glare which you can not on the HD700. is there any way to reduce this?

the 1080 also looked great when played back in both my 720P and 1080I televisions (720P was 30 inch and 1080I is 42 inch). the 720P looked equally as good!

Ohhh.. I did experience the same issue with the 1080 mode and EIS and the jitter that everyone experiences...
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:33 PM   #210

The microphone sounds very good for a comcorder in this price range and quality control is excellent.
I have 4 of these camcorders now and have done extensive testing on the mics as well as other aspects of this model
You can get EXCELLENT stereo recordings if you have 2 of these camcorders spaced as far apart as you need them or use one of your ZX3's for an "on-talent" mic with another further back recording just the video
The ZX3 is VERY solid and does not sound like a cheap piece of plastic if you touch, bump or move it while recording audio like some of the portable audio recorders I've heard
If you are not sure whether or not you will be diving deeper than 10 feet, wrap the ZX3 in 2 or 3 layers of cellophane and test the video quality in a mirror before diving

One problem with this camera is a full memory card
If you completely fill a SDHC card so there are zero bytes left, the camcorder will turn on but that's all it will do
It won't shut off correctly and none of the buttons seem to work untill the memory card is emptied
All 4 of my ZX3's were purchased over a period of 4 months from 4 different locations (2 online and 2 Local Stores) and they cover a production span of over 2 million cameras based on the serial numbers yet the quality control is excellent

The only difference between cameras is that one of them records audio 2dB lower than the others but the frequency response is (for all intents and purposes) identical (within 2dB at any freq) so they make great audio recorders

Just export the audio in quicktime pro (if you have it) then normalize and EQ the audio to taste

You will only need "ONE" EQ setting for all of your ZX3's

It may not be the best camcorder out there but for the price, it can't be beat!

I Love it
Bullwinkle J Moose is offline   Reply With Quote