Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 29, 2011, 5:48 AM   #211

I would want to know what to the moment is the best firmware for this camcorder.
tks
asfodeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:37 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfodeli View Post
I would want to know what to the moment is the best firmware for this camcorder.
tks
For me it's the latest - version 1.12
I have not had any problems with my "Like new" Zx3 which I have had for over 5 months now.

However some may tell you of earlier versions -

I suspect (but am not certain) that Kodak may have had to tweak its hardware from earlier problems - so that earlier Zx3 may well work better with earlier versions of FW -

But later samples of the Zx3 should work better with the latest FW -
so if your Zx3 is of more recent manufacture, and/or if it already has the latest FW v1.12 -
then it is probably worth leaving well alone.......
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:49 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownVT View Post
For me it's the latest - version 1.12
I have not had any problems with my "Like new" Zx3 which I have had for over 5 months now.

However some may tell you of earlier versions -

I suspect (but am not certain) that Kodak may have had to tweak its hardware from earlier problems - so that earlier Zx3 may well work better with earlier versions of FW -

But later samples of the Zx3 should work better with the latest FW -
so if your Zx3 is of more recent manufacture, and/or if it already has the latest FW v1.12 -
then it is probably worth leaving well alone.......
thanks for the fast answer...my camcorder with firmware 1.12 involve as in this video.will it be a problem of firmware or other?it also happens to you?

http://youtu.be/aUYe6DlYCb4
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:51 PM   #214

thanks for the fast answer...my camcorder with firmware 1.12 involve as in this video.will it be a problem of firmware or other?it also happens to you?

http://youtu.be/aUYe6DlYCb4
Old Sep 4, 2011, 6:17 AM   #215

You may be interested in doing a review of Sandisk Cards after these results
But first, here is a site to get Software for testing the read/write speeds of your SDHC Cards >

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-light...drive-windows/

The older (All Gray) 16GB Sandisk Class 4 Cards Rated @ 15MB/sec "WITHOUT" copy protection write at 11.59 MB/sec average after 60 sec

The newer (Grey with white stripe at bottom) 16GB Class 4 cards Rated @ 15MB/sec "WITH" copy protection write at only 8.42 MB / sec average after 60 sec

The Newest (Grey with white stripe at bottom) 16GB Class 4 cards Rated @ 20MB/sec "WITH" copy protection write at only 8.06 MB / sec average after 60 sec

The oldest Sandisk card I have is a 2GB CLASS 2 card "WITHOUT" copy protection (Blue with red stripe at bottom) and it writes at 6.03 MB / sec Write Speed and 18.15 read speed

My 2GB Class 4 Sandisk Card "WITHOUT" copy protection writes at 12.10 MB/sec and reads at 18.15 MB/sec

I also have the older Black Sandisk Extreme III - 4GB card Rated @ 30MB/sec "WITHOUT" copy protection and it writes at 14.88 MB / sec and reads at 18.14 MB / sec

ALL of my Sandisk Cards work perfectly in the Kodak ZX3

Even at 1080p or 720 X 60FPS, the Old Class 2 Card can write data 4 time faster than the Kodak requires

The Kodak ZX3 writes data @ 1.5 MB/sec Maximum with sound good lighting or 1.4 MB/sec if you record in a dark room without sound

The wierd thing is, I have a 4GB Class 4 PNY card that writes up to 9.2 MB/sec (Faster that the Class 2 Sandisk) but if I record moving objects like when I stick the camera out a car window as I drive with the camera set to 720 X 60FPS, I notice that the PNY card will record smoothly for 5 -10 sec and then drop a few frames, then smooth again, then drop frames repeatedly

I never noticed this behavior when the camera was on a tripod but it is easy to see for moving objects

I need to test the Class 2 Sandisk on moving objects to see if it also does this but I never noticed it before and all the Class 4 Sandisk cards work perfectly
under any condition

You cannot buy the FASTER Sandisk Class 4 / 15MB/sec cards anymore and if you pay $4 extra at newegg to get the "ALL Gray" cards without copy protection, they will send you the copy protected cards regardless of which card you order so save yourself $4 and just order the copy protected card with the white stripe at the bottom

B&H photo is now selling the 20MB/sec Class 4 Cards but as my testing has shown, they are actually SLOWER than the same cards rated for 15MB/sec

The best deals right now for Sandisk Cards are the 30MB/sec Cards at B&H Photo

You can get 2 - 8GB Class 10 Cards Rated at 30MB/sec for $40 or 2 - Class 4 Cards rated at 15MB/sec for $35

The battery on the ZX3 is good for about 8GB before it dies so that is the perfect size if you are on a budget

You only save a couple bucks by buying slower cards so get the 30MB/sec cards while they are on sale at B&H and you will be future proofed when you get a more demanding camcorder in the future
Bullwinkle J Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:59 PM   #216

A few more things;

The Kodak ZX3 is on sale RIGHT NOW (Sept 5 2011) at Crutchfield for $99

If you still want to get a camcorder with a user-replaceable battery before all the manufacturers switch over to sealed batteries (Dumbest idea ever), then now is the time to do it

The ZX3 has a much better sounding mic than the ZX5 with its "Sealed" battery
Check the Youtube reviews for mic comparisons

Also,
Did you know that the ZX3 can be turned OFF while recording without losing the video?

Yup, there is no need to worry about losing the video you are recording if you need to shut down the camera quickly because the ZX3 saves whatever you are recording before powering off

THAT is a nice feature that can save you several seconds instead of stopping recording the normal way and then powering down

I wish Kodak would add audio codecs to a firmware upgrade that allows us to record ONLY audio instead of video + audio when we just need a voice recorder

It would be easy enough to implement in the following manner>

Press record ONCE to start Video + Audio recording
or,
Press record TWICE within 1 second to start Audio only recording

and, of course, press stop once to stop either one

or just hit the power button
Bullwinkle J Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 4:03 AM   #217

Hello Everyone!

I'm new here. I'm from Hungary and I read forums and reviews in Steves-digicams since 2004, but I register only today, because I ordered a Kodak Zx3, and I have a question for you. (I read all the messages, and I don't find answer).

In first time, when I unboxing the camera, and first charge the battery, how many hours to charge the battery? Only it full charging, or 10 or 14 hours, like some mobile telefon battery?

Sorry My english is not to good
kameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:09 AM   #218

5 hours, and use it do not worry over charging, if you feel like you must keep it on like a cell. its only sitting in the charger nothing more.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:09 PM   #219

Thanks! I charged 5 hours (The charging sign is off half time) and i made some videos. The image quality is impressive. I never use a hd cam before, I have an old Sony CCD-TRV 418 analog camera, and I digitalized the shots. The quality is mutch better. Sunny shots on my 32" flat tv with HDMI bright and sharp. Indoor shots little bit blurry and some digital noise, but mutch better the my old cam.

My first shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvf-iBpMmNA
kameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:53 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by kameraman View Post
Thanks! I charged 5 hours (The charging sign is off half time) and i made some videos. The image quality is impressive. I never use a hd cam before, I have an old Sony CCD-TRV 418 analog camera, and I digitalized the shots. The quality is mutch better. Sunny shots on my 32" flat tv with HDMI bright and sharp. Indoor shots little bit blurry and some digital noise, but mutch better the my old cam.

My first shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvf-iBpMmNA

There you go, the cam will do fine outdoors in light, etc. once we film in low level indoors a lot of quality is lost, its not a professional model and that says it all. Loved theexpression. great job.

just recharge when you want if it got most the power left, it should charge less time like 20 minutes etc....