Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:11 PM   #1

Default Kodak Playsport ZX3 Full review

Alerts
$20.00 off $100.00 @ crutchfields.com code 3A706
limited time

Introduction Video FUll Review

Behind the playsport lies the ZI8

Welcome to the Kodak Playsport ZX3 Full Review.

March 05, 2010 Released to the public, for Purchase @ $149.00 usc, and Overseas , This is the 2nd generation of the Kodak Z series camcorder. You may find today the lowest price $129.00. Always check online you may never know when a cam is already out. highest price $270.00 Latest firmware 1.03

specs:
  • 1 / 2.5–type 5 MP CMOS
  • 5.54 mm, 35 mm equivalent
  • 48 mm @ 1080p
  • 36 mm @ 720p60,30, WVGA and Still
Video and Still All 16:9 ratio Focal range 39.4" - to- Infinity
Hd1080P, HD720P 60F & 30F, WVGA Still INTERPOLATED software enhanced (2-3mb default)
Sound Mono, no External Mic port.

4X Digital(seamless) Zoom, and Electronic Image Stabilization.

See Kodak.com for full details. most the info is in there for you. In here I'll show you everything you need to know,and then some. So lets get right down to the unboxing

Out of the Box: video

Excluded Mini tripod, carrying bag,SDHC/MMC card, and remote control.

Ac plug, usb/mini usb cable, componant AV mono cable, and HDMI cable and klh7400 950/1000mah battery Cloth strap, and a 20 page manual video .

Overall:

keeping compact nicely featured in a neat box.

In hand:

More a cellphone look Rounded Edges, not a real rubbery feel, a multi tones of blacks, with the added white makes this look unique. The names on front Blends in. Metal screws (if staineless), lens, embedded lens , larger protective glass. Rear buttons design unique. Large strap hole, and 1/4 tripod (plastic) with locking doors, nicely made.

Overall:

Better designed. metal screws protrudge a litlle to far, . lens cover needed.

Controls, features, functions: video

Layout easy to use, Navigation 5 way mouse, Zoom in/out and vid are of the 5 way, while Glare and trash, and setting of seperate buttons. In Settings Internal Mic gain only, and H20 filter, as well face detect, and EIS.

Overall:

layout of buttons okay, navigation buttons needs getting used to.

Let The Fun Begin. Testing:

Testing will needs time, and those with trials will understand that a few video's a quick glance, just does not cut it in the real world, ownership does.

You'll see many clips, and will continue to see many more. It is best to say this Part is to be continued due to firmware updates. In the mean time, Please check out Vimeo, Youtube, and other sites, thank you.

My Final thoughts.

A decision in hand, the box never states " upgradable firmware available at Kodak.com, a non Downgradable cam".

A Pc low Budget Economy Hybrid cam, great for the Daytime Outdoor shots, on the Go, fits in my pocket, or given to a lady, her purse. placed in a cam bag . you have a kodak Moment at your desposal, day or night, rain or shine, land or sea. Something you will not be dissappointed in.

Grab those Moments, with 60fps easy to edit with the right pc, or mac. with a hours battery life, using at max, to exconomy wise over 90 minutes.

Is this Highly Recommended? the Choiceis yours. Looking for a Vlogging cam, or a rugged cam. or both worlds. then the next model release may answer those questions.

At the moment the best advice I have to offer:

Research watch videos sample video get advice, and , if all works out, sit down and ask yourself what you need. and the decison is a matter ofa click of the Mouse, or a walk in the store.

Welcome to the Hybrid section, and down below Ask away!

A Playsport moment click picture for video

Some test samples of the Playsport.

Video Sample test

Last edited by fishycomics; May 21, 2010 at 5:26 AM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:35 PM   #2

Kodak playsport pros and cons

Pro's
0. motion vehiclesound is not best fair, seperation occures
1. Rounded Desgn
2. secured doors.
3. larger lens glass area..
4. decent font size
5. larger record button
6. Dc power/Ac Power constant recording (a plus)
7. sound improvements, circuitry
8. video improvement, circuitry
9 Glare control

con

1. a slight tilt Up Tripod base (Zi8 tilt down)
2. Blinking LED red record light
3. Vid resolution order (needs getting used to) lowest on top highest bottom
4. choosing vid res: not as simple, as the Zi8 a lil tricky
5. 180 degree, or rotation video
6. lens cover/plug none
7 cloth strap, neoprem strap needed
8 lcd greenish hue, incorrect to live feed (fw 1.03 correction)
9 camera glare, gimmick known as b & w, saphire, and classic filters. itworks though
10. Usb mini connector, wished it were all the same its not.
11. earpeice port none
12 No slideshow(continous, repeat) or incam editing.
13. tv playback issues with start of play, ffw/rew after 16x. and no crop or zoom with picture.
14. spring behind door will get stickie, lube will free, is a issue if water, abuse, etc

Last edited by fishycomics; Sep 7, 2010 at 8:17 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:35 PM   #3

Firmware up/downgrade:

Orginal Fw 1.01, and Fw 1.02 (non existant)are not offered or able to revert, decide if you want to go foward.

camera release March 5th, firmware release March 28th 2010. look for fw 1.04 april 11-18th 2010.

Fw 1.03 http://www.mediafire.com/?jmtjzzmzjyy

Unzip file

Arcsoft total media Impressions from Kodak backup files

Format sd card, make new folder on sd card called system, place in files to system. place card in cam, and turn on, highlightcheck, allow to update, when all is off then turn on view firmware, delete off sd card.

there ar no reflashing to FW 1.02, or fw 1.01

For contacting about your cam comments., complaints or issues I suggest you start here [email protected] It's free, and just that.

and request your demands Good luck with your inquerry.

Technical Support is free and worth just that.

If repair is needed 3rd party, Sub-contracting, and refurbished models are given. review your options.

Issues noted:

1. Tv playback, start of vid , not played. after 16x you must reverse the directions.
2. Light adjustment on Zoom, during day and night
3. lcd screen incorrect color
4. turn on lag
5. Rec/Stop sound too low in open crouded area.
6. 16 or 32gbclass 6 freeze, not 4gb class 6
7. blotchs around cam lower right defective units sold

Last edited by fishycomics; Apr 30, 2010 at 2:40 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:36 PM   #4

Conclusion:

Highly recommendated, if you're after a pc low Budget Economy Hybrid camcorder.

You want video in Hd, kodak does it, you want it at night, kodak does it, you want it Rugged, kodak is the one, want it Underwater kodak goes 10feet, beyond is your nightmare. You're after high proformance then you need to look elsewhere. You're on abudget then this is the one, you want close up macro get a aftermarket lens at dealextreme.com 11.00 you want extras . buy a pkg kit walmart, 99 cent store you name it. You want a ext mic then you needto get teh Zi8. you cannot have both worlds, but if you want it you'll get it.

The PS (playsport is that cam Highly recommendated , my opinion, so make sure you review research and decide. I will sell you the Brooklyn Bridge. thousands loved my review of the Aiptek A-HD, Gvs and the company came foward offering me a letter and some extras I thank Aiptek, I hope the same for Kodak Please Pm me Kodak thank you

i give a honest review, that sells itself. i do not make the cam I just continue my fun.. go out and get one already. that simple Enjoy your Moment share with us and have a great one

the kodak Playsport

5 stars

Last edited by fishycomics; Apr 12, 2010 at 5:20 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:30 PM   #5

Video Stills and other
these two vids are your decidig factor

Playsport Sound test review click me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTLUbfObM84 PS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmAXHPbx36U Zi8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_TElqnD36k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxD7GoDGz-s

Extreme Low Level Hd1080P video
Extreme Low Level Hd720P60F video
Extreme Low Level Hd720P30F video
Extreme low leve hd WVGA video

Full review video click me lead you to most the videos

BBQ short movie video click me

Direct Downloads: will be limited and expire in time

Extreme Low level Hd1080P click me
Extreme Low level Hd720P60f click me
extreme low level hd720p30F click me
Extreme low level WGVA cick me

Dog day marsh ducks click me
Dog day marsh max in Straw click me

Last edited by fishycomics; Apr 3, 2010 at 2:06 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:38 PM   #6

Does the Zx3 uses a Ambarella chipset?
babya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 4:33 AM   #7

Back again, dizzy today and internet is playing up, so I am not up to going through things fro a while.

So, basically, the video quality, color, latitude and low light, and lens quality, is exactly the same as the zi8? I could not quiet follow what the problem with still and resolution selection was?

I would have loved it if the zi8 had water proofing to?

So, what are the best full hd hybrids now? Any news on the new camera to come after zi8/playsport?

Thanks

Wayne12
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:01 PM   #8

What does this mean? "The vid/still has a 2.2 second time out, which should have been no time out, makes your decision harder, something you need to get used to."

What time out?

Last edited by winkosmosis; Apr 7, 2010 at 4:20 PM.
winkosmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:39 PM   #9

As being a Owner of quite a few models, Wayne12, and Winkosmosis, I may or not have been clear enough, so I will explain to you again.

Kodak ZI8. when turned On, the cam highlights all video resonsoluti accross the screen:

Hd1080P..Hd720P60f..HD720P..WVGA..Still

Then will go away.

When you look at the screen and you are set at, for example HD1080P, you want to change your resolution, you follow these simple steps:

Step one right or left click your mouse to you are highlighted over the desired resolution, and stop. we'll use WVGA as the desired.

You are set on WVGA no extra step to set, by hitting okay of the mouse not needed.

SO no matter what resolution you want it is basically a One step proceedure, period.

Kodak Playsport same scenerio, Hd1080P to WVGA.

When you are changing resolutions. you have 2.0 seconds of the last button to finalize your choice, by pressing the Mouse.

Step one Right or Left on mouse

Step two Scroll up or down for video resolution, or Right for still.

Step three within 2 seconds you must finalize by pressing Mouse

End

If you Do not press the Okay (mouse) the previous setting will be set and that was Hd1080p as we used as the example.

No matter where you are at on the video Resolution the time limit to set is 2.0 seconds, and Mouse must be Hit, or all is reset to last res or still.

I find that having a set up in this fashion, to some, me, may take time to get used to, and may or not be the best set up for such a simple cam.

The Video Resolution is from the Lowest on top, to the Highest on the bottom, and the still to the side.

I am sure Kodak could have taken a extra step, in making one of those Hot keys left, or Right for the H20, EIS , or Face Detect rather duplicating.

It would have been Nice if they could have designated it EIS and face while leaving the cam for glare and H20.

Winkosmosis I am not insulted, takes a lot more then that.

I hope this answers your questions that you commented to.

thank you for asking.

Babya Yes this is a Ambrella chip camcorder, what particular one it is may be asked at Kodak.com if they feel to release taht info?

Last edited by fishycomics; Apr 12, 2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:18 AM   #10

Three weeks has passed, and as the cam seems to be doing fine. Hearing others enjoying, their new model, updated to the latest firmware, and some complainers.

Other colors are now released, a prefrence to some, but to others the black suits just fine, for me.

Talking with Tech support, is a challenge, they are not the best, nor the worst, but will agree, and listen to your concerns.

Good Luck on your choice, enjoy