Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:01 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
These days, 24 fps is used strictly for psychological and artistic effects. Even when viewed on a TV screen, rather than with a real film projector in a movie theater, viewing audiences still prefer the slower frame rate used in major motion pictures, because the faster, more fluid motion of 30 or 60 fps video (known as "high motion") is seen as too much like a "home movie" or "TV show" and is perceived as too "real-time". Even many large-budget American TV shows are videotaped using "film look" processing, in order to achieve this effect.

As Wikipedia writes:
so youre gonna show the movies you shot with a hybrid cam through a projector at a movie theater?
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by qv98 View Post
so youre gonna show the movies you shot with a hybrid cam through a projector at a movie theater?
No, but people still prefer the "film look". That's the whole point.
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 3:59 PM   #23

i prefer the film look.
30fps is too fluid, but a choppy-24fps isn't good either...

24fps shown as '48fps' is what they do in cinemas?
i just want my final videos to look as much like a film as possible...

if i have to shoot natively in 24fps or 48fps, then okay!
if i have to transcode 30fps into 24fps, then okay!

but 30fps looks cheesy for music videos, films, etc...
kiyoshi_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:03 PM   #24

Kiyoshi,
The key to getting 'smooth' 24fps progressive video is to use a 1/24 second shutter, so you get a realistic motion blur. The Canon HF100 and HV20 series (incl successors) do it very well, in "TV" control mode you can change the shutter speed to 1/24 (or 1/12 in very low light) and the aperture is accurately controlled by the camera.

None of the point-and-shoot cameras have a neutral-density aperture control element, so you will not get smooth 24fps blur with them - they will be using a much faster shutter. Sanyo Xacti can sometimes be coaxed to shoot with a constant shutter, they do have a neutral density aperture control element. However, they do not have optical image stabilization, which, in this day and age, is a huge disadvantage

I hope that helps
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:43 PM   #25

thanks!

i will try to manually control my shutter to 1/24 if possible

to go from 30fps to 24fps leaves weird artifacts (jittery), hmm

i wonder if i shot PAL 25fps, the transition to 24fps would leave LESS artifacts? there's european models of camcorders on ebay.... hm..
kiyoshi_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyoshi_music View Post
i wonder if i shot PAL 25fps, the transition to 24fps would leave LESS artifacts? there's european models of camcorders on ebay.... hm..
I frequently use Sony Vegas to output 24p from the 30p taken by my Panasonic ZS3, and I never see any obvious problems. I think they interpolate their 3:2 pulldown to give smoother transitions around the dropped frame. I would stay at 30fps and try a different editor

Last edited by Trevmar; Apr 15, 2010 at 6:20 PM. Reason: typo
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 3:20 AM   #27

hello private Idaho - I work for movielocker - and you're right - you can upload as long as film / video as you like to the service

we're putting a new version live in the next couple of weeks - and we hope to have news of an iPhone / iPad version of the system very soon

if anyone has any issues or problems using the service - please feel free to email me / contact us through the site help

m
savioursofpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 4:59 AM   #28

Welcome Aboard SAviour...

we're happy to see Other sites Join Stevesforums.

At given timeswesee other sites give special priveldges to visit and join their sites, like up2load.com. a sign of Good faith, promote business ,etc, etc.

What may be needed and Permission may have to be granted from the Sites owners @ steves if you're asking others to not join but may be against rules and regulations other info, you may use your descretion on that, B/c apon Joining there really ar no rules, but today common sense. I am sure you know what they will be........

I am a member over by you and have found yours by EngineSearch, and love the site. but am limited to a basic member of up to 20-30 uploads, and commission taken of example 1.00 making 50 cents lol, I use that as an example, nothing more.

I hope to see morfrom sites and V.I.P passes possably a higher Limit for those here, all I do is ask, thank you I go under thesame username Fishycomics

Again Welcome aboar Movielocker / Savioursofpop

Quote:
Originally Posted by savioursofpop View Post
hello private Idaho - I work for movielocker - and you're right - you can upload as long as film / video as you like to the service

we're putting a new version live in the next couple of weeks - and we hope to have news of an iPhone / iPad version of the system very soon

if anyone has any issues or problems using the service - please feel free to email me / contact us through the site help

m
Old Jun 17, 2010, 4:52 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Welcome Aboard SAviour...

we're happy to see Other sites Join Stevesforums.

At given timeswesee other sites give special priveldges to visit and join their sites, like up2load.com. a sign of Good faith, promote business ,etc, etc.

What may be needed and Permission may have to be granted from the Sites owners @ steves if you're asking others to not join but may be against rules and regulations other info, you may use your descretion on that, B/c apon Joining there really ar no rules, but today common sense. I am sure you know what they will be........

I am a member over by you and have found yours by EngineSearch, and love the site. but am limited to a basic member of up to 20-30 uploads, and commission taken of example 1.00 making 50 cents lol, I use that as an example, nothing more.

I hope to see morfrom sites and V.I.P passes possably a higher Limit for those here, all I do is ask, thank you I go under thesame username Fishycomics

Again Welcome aboar Movielocker / Savioursofpop
hi fishycomics - VIP passes for the steves community I think is an excellent idea - let me see how we can do it - practically - some sort of discount token might work?

leave it with me - I'll report back as soon as i can
best
m
savioursofpop is offline   Reply With Quote