Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 5, 2010, 1:23 AM   #1

Default Do ANY hybridcams use iFrame?

I've heard of iFrame compatible camcorders, which allow you to easily drag-and-drop into video editing programs with NO CONVERSION.

I have seen that Sanyo VPC-FH1A can do this, but wondered if any DGX, Aiptek, or Sony models were also able to do this...

(it's a big time saver!)
kiyoshi_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2010, 1:14 PM   #2

The iFrame format is designed by APPLE to speed up importing and editing.

It's 960 x 540 @ 30 frames per second (not quite true high definition).

APPLE explains more about it here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3905

Sanyo's VPC-HD2000A and Sanyo's VPC-FH1A generate iFrame files.

I've never edited such files on my Mac in iMovie, but I would be curious to try this because I suspect the advantage of this format is that APPLE's iMovie should be able to "smart render" these files.... in other words... confine any rendering only to segments that are changed (titles, transitions, filters)... which means the rendering should be much faster. In addition, these files will import directly/instantly -- without transcoding -- into the APPLE iMovie program without any need to first convert the files to Apple Intermediate Codec files.

Non iFrame formats such as AVCHD and 1920 x 1080 .MOV files and 1280 x 720 .MOV files have to be transcoded to Apple's AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) format, which takes time.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 1:16 PM   #3

By the way... APPLE's engineers have quite correctly determined that the 960 x 540 format is ideal for the APPLE TV so that you can play your home movies via the APPLE TV to your TV.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 5:14 PM   #4

i'd rather WAIT and get a true 1280x720 or 1920x1080...

... the 960x540 is a compete waste!

(i guess iFrame support is pretty much useless!)
(also, if FCP can't use it, then whatever.... ;p )
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:30 AM   #5

I respectfully disagree.

The APPLE TV that I have, for example, supports only one (1) 720p format and that is 1280 x 720 @ 24 frames per second (for iTunes commercial movies that you can rent/buy). This is a film format and not really a video format because even if your TV set did support 24Hz (24p) natively, it would FLICKER like crazy!

APPLE TV supports 960 x 540 @ 30 frames per second for home movie playback and it looks quite satisfactory to my eyes and it's easier to produce (requires less computer processor power) and still looks a lot better than commercial standard definition DVD films.

But... if you want to be miserable and adopt Blu-ray... which is a dead-format-walking, then you can go through all of the work to produce 1920 x 1080 movies on Blu-ray... and almost nobody will be able to play them because so many early Blu-ray players don't support consumer Blu-ray discs (BD-R) anyway. And everybody knows Blu-ray will be dead in fewer than five years. (Or it will be relegated to the same status achieved by Laserdisc, which was limited consumer acceptance.)

Last edited by Private Idaho; Apr 6, 2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:03 AM   #6

well, APPLE TV rez is exactly 25% of the pixels in 1080p and yes, it does look good

hybrid cams are used almost exclusively for web content (am i right?), and i really like being able to post 720p on vimeo and youtube... but maybe 540p is good enough!

honestly, if i had all the money in the world, i'd buy every hybrid cam currently on sale then test each one in standardized conditions... then use a "real" DV camcorder as a baseline ~

anyhow, now i'm excited about iFrame! i think my next cam will be a Sanyo VPC FH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Idaho View Post
I respectfully disagree.

The APPLE TV that I have, for example, supports only one (1) 720p format and that is 1280 x 720 @ 24 frames per second (for iTunes commercial movies that you can rent/buy). This is a film format and not really a video format because even if your TV set did support 24Hz (24p) natively, it would FLICKER like crazy!

APPLE TV supports 960 x 540 @ 30 frames per second for home movie playback and it looks quite satisfactory to my eyes and it's easier to produce (requires less computer processor power) and still looks a lot better than commercial standard definition DVD films.

But... if you want to be miserable and adopt Blu-ray... which is a dead-format-walking, then you can go through all of the work to produce 1920 x 1080 movies on Blu-ray... and almost nobody will be able to play them because so many early Blu-ray players don't support consumer Blu-ray discs (BD-R) anyway. And everybody knows Blu-ray will be dead in fewer than five years. (Or it will be relegated to the same status achieved by Laserdisc, which was limited consumer acceptance.)